The Rise of Skywalker [spoilers after initial few posts]

A place to have discussions about stuff IRL.
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

The Rise of Skywalker [spoilers after initial few posts]

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:56 am

I've got to say.... "I liked it!!!" I think it is about the best job one can do with what was given. Honestly, one could have gone from TFA to RoS without TLJ even being there. As one who thought TLJ was awful, RoS makes TLJ seem pointless and TWICE as bad as I already thought it was (if it were possible to be that much worse). No lingering aftertaste of TLJ in this one. There were several things I was genuinely enthused to see and ideas that were pretty cool, IMO.

Still reflecting on it all, but very satisfied. :D Going to see it again!

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: The Rise of Skywalker [spoilers after initial few posts]

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:44 am

This says everything that you need to know about TFA, TLJ, RoS and why TLJ was such a piece of crap: TLJ did not have the same director that did TFA and RoS.

Disney (and the fans) did not like the direction(s) that the director of TLJ (pardon the pun) took the sequel, so Disney went back to J.J. Abrams for RoS and let him continue with his own vision of where the story should go. Abrams then did the best he could with what he was given. Which was to mostly ignore TLJ and pretend as much as possible that TLJ didn't exist.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:16 am

Well that stinks. Just watched The Last Jedi with the kids to get ready for seeing the new one tomorrow. Sounds like I'll have to try and answer a bunch of 'but what about...?' type questions

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:14 pm

crazybirdman wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:16 am
Well that stinks. Just watched The Last Jedi with the kids to get ready for seeing the new one tomorrow. Sounds like I'll have to try and answer a bunch of 'but what about...?' type questions
Meh....it moves quickly and has JJ-action most all the time (A lot like TFA). You don't really "think" about anything until after the movie. Then, you think, "What about ___?" But then, that's okay if it didn't get dealt with. It was a good movie, IMO. About as good as someone could do given what he was dealt. I wouldn't approach it as a continuation of where TLJ left off, but rather it jumps into current action.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:38 pm

I like Rian Johnson, but he clearly wanted to do something else than what JJ wanted (and it kind of shows in TLJ).

That being said, I enjoyed TLJ, and also enjoyed TRoS. I thought TRoS had some serious issues, and the ending (as with many JJ flicks) did not leave me content, but I still overall enjoyed it.

If I have to be honest, though, much as I like
Spoiler:
Dark Empire, doing Dark Empire stuff with Palpatine wasn't something I feel was needed. Having Ben survive and get brought back, getting the second chance his grandfather never got, would have been a more satisfying arc as well IMO.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:18 pm

Some more thoughts.
Spoiler:
There were some serious issues that will probably make me like the movie less on a rewatch.

There were also some interesting points. The idea of really strong Force bonds, and picking up stuff from them, was neat to see in a movie during this trilogy. I loved KOTORII, so that was sort of neat.

As to problems, Finn's story could have been made better with some slight tweaks to make him more like a Spartacus, calling First Order soldiers to mutiny and them doing it. Have the former trooper lady mention that they had heard stories of FN-2187 managing to escape and inspiring them, Finn reveals that was him, and then he does it again in the climax.

Poe's character reveal, that the brash cocky soldier thing is a cover to hide his past behavior, would have been nicer to have in the second movie rather than the third one.

Ben/Kylo continued to be a puppet to everyone, with JJ saying that his mom forced the lightside back into him there in TRoS, rather than Ben ever getting to choose. It's a worse version of Luke's arc, where he learns he's been trained to be a weapon against Vader and makes the choice to redeem rather than be that weapon.

Lots of great stuff in a vacuum, but as a 3rd movie I don't think it did well, but JJ isn't necessarily the best at ending stuff IMO.

This third movie could have been a trilogy in and of itself.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:10 am

JJ is all about the action and the F/X. Storytelling not so much. The notable exception being the TV series that made him famous: Fringe. His movies all lack depth. They're fun to watch, but don't expect much characterization of the supporting cast. In fact, his Star Wars movies are even worse in that than his Trek movies. Quite a bit worse, the more I think about it. Even in his Trek films he devoted more attention to the supporting characters than he did in Star Wars.

Return to “Cantina”