Hurricane Dorian

A place to have discussions about stuff IRL.
ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Hurricane Dorian

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:35 am

For those of you who know where I live, yes, I expect to get hit by Dorian on Monday/Tuesday. It'll still have at least Category 3 winds by the time it reaches Cocoa FL. I'm prepared for it, and the apartment building that I'm in, which used to be USAF barracks back when it was built in 1964, is made with reinforced concrete walls and roof, and had impact-resistant windows installed a few years ago. So I'm as safe as I can be short of leaving the state completely (which isn't an option).

The pic above was taken several years before I moved in. I live in the top left unit, so I'm well above any possible flooding too.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Re: Hurricane Dorian

Post by swrider » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:43 am

Glad to hear it.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:53 am

Glad to hear it! At first glance, I was worried about the wind and that roof, but then I read your text about how sturdy it was built. It sounds ultra-safe! Things could get messy for a few days, for sure.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:18 pm

Stay safe nonetheless.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:38 pm

Thanks, y'all. The current projections now show that it'll sideswipe us in Florida rather than rip through us, and each time I see new projections it's staying further and further east at sea.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:43 pm

Sending prayers from St Pete. Went through Irma a couple years ago, actually slept through the main storm, and it was worse afterwards without power than anything else.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:49 pm

I was living in Titusville for Irma in '17. Was without power for over 3 days, and that was on the other coast from you. Matthew, the year before, sucked too.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:14 am

I went through High School and Jr High in Merritt Island and I don't remember any hurricanes hitting that area in any of those years. They always hit somewhere else. Now Florida seems to be more of a target than ever.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:24 am

This is from a PM of mine that I was having with someone else on another board. (Yes, I do participate on boards other than this one, shocking as that may seem to some of you.)
This will be the sixth hurricane that's hit an area I was in at the time. First one was here in Florida, Hurricane David in 1979, just before I turned 20. We didn't lose power then, or at most for a few hours. Second one was Alicia in 1983 in Houston, after I moved there in '81. Lost power for 3-4 days. Third one was in 2005, Rita in Houston. Was without power for about a day. Fourth one was Matthew in 2016 here in Florida. Lost power for several hours. Fifth one was Irma in 2017. Even though it went up the west coast of Florida we still got hurricane-force winds on the east coast. Was without power for almost 4 days. This one, Dorian, is looking to be the strongest of all of the ones I've been hit by. But I'm not worried about it because I'm well prepared. Only thing I don't have is a gasoline-powered generator, and that's because I'm not allowed to have one where I'm living now.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:04 am

Please stay safe, Shado. I'm really praying it does continue pulling north and east as the projections indicate.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:05 am

I moved back from Scotland in '84 into 6th grade and left for the Army in '90 and then came back in '97. I rode out Wilma in Port St. Lucie and Irma here in St. Pete, getting nicked by other storms but nothing else noteable.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:06 am

Doctor Who wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:04 am
Please stay safe, Shado. I'm really praying it does continue pulling north and east as the projections indicate.
I fully agree with this statement.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:24 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:24 am
This is from a PM of mine that I was having with someone else on another board. (Yes, I do participate on boards other than this one, shocking as that may seem to some of you.)
This will be the sixth hurricane that's hit an area I was in at the time. First one was here in Florida, Hurricane David in 1979, just before I turned 20. We didn't lose power then, or at most for a few hours. Second one was Alicia in 1983 in Houston, after I moved there in '81. Lost power for 3-4 days. Third one was in 2005, Rita in Houston. Was without power for about a day. Fourth one was Matthew in 2016 here in Florida. Lost power for several hours. Fifth one was Irma in 2017. Even though it went up the west coast of Florida we still got hurricane-force winds on the east coast. Was without power for almost 4 days. This one, Dorian, is looking to be the strongest of all of the ones I've been hit by. But I'm not worried about it because I'm well prepared. Only thing I don't have is a gasoline-powered generator, and that's because I'm not allowed to have one where I'm living now.
I don't think any of us are surprised you are on other forums. The real question is what is the other forum and how many chickens did you have to sacrifice to join?

Seriously though, stay safe and don't take any chances. You have my phone number if you need anything that I can help with.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:40 am

Thanks, everyone, for your concern and well-wishes.

As for the other board and how many chickens, it's more a matter of my soul than chickens. At least if you are a member in good standing of the Mike Pence fundamentalist (loony) brigade. https://f95zone.to

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:26 am

First that is a lot of chickens. Second, it looks like you might just get hit from the new models. Stay safe and avoid the crazies that come out when this type of thing happens.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:45 am

The models still show it staying offshore, but that can change. It's kinda parked over the eastern end of Grand Bahamas (the capital island). It hasn't yet reached the point where the models show it turning north, so it's still "on track" (as opposed to doing some weird shit). Having said all that, if it follows the likeliest models I'll still get lashed by category 3 wind and rain. 100mph sustained winds, give or take, are no joke ... but it's sure better than 130 let alone the 185 the islands are getting ripped with. As long as my power stays on I'm just peachy. The outer edges of the thing are just 5-10 miles south of me right now, based on the satellite and radar maps I've been keeping my eye on. Before midnight EDT I expect the rains to hit and not let up (we've been getting scattered showers off and on today) until the thing is past ... sometime Wednesday or Thursday.

I made a trip to Walmart this afternoon to buy some groceries for my roommate, who always burns through his food stamp allotment over a week before his month is done because he walks to dollar and convenience stores and pays way too much for stuff. Me, I have a nice balance on my card because I don't use up my allotment each month so it's been steadily growing. That, of course, will change once I get a decent job and they cut off my benefits. Then I'll start burning through that balance until it's all gone. Anyway, I bought a pack of 40 20oz water bottles, mainly for my roommate, along with some breakfast-making stuff to use tomorrow (Monday) and plenty of snacks for me to munch on over the next week. I had several days worth of snacks already, but I wanted to be "safe" and made sure I wouldn't run out. Quality of life and all that.

BTW, I do professional (IOW, paid) proofreading for one of those games on that site. The developer is Romanian, and while his English isn't bad (unlike a lot of Russians) it needed TLC by a native speaker. You know that I'm a grammar Nazi. It's sweet to also get paid to be one! The best sort of work is getting paid to do something you like doing anyway. If I had 4-5 more gigs like that one I wouldn't need to get a local job. Well, that's the dream. Reality is a tad different. Like that monster storm to the southeast.

Return to “Cantina”