Site slowness

A place to have discussions about stuff IRL.
SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Site slowness

Post by SavageBob » Thu May 09, 2019 1:05 am

Hey, Rider, you asked what I was experiencing when I mentioned it in the Uprising game. Right now, the site is running fine. It loads quickly. But there are times when I click a link and the site just chugs and chugs before it loads. I can be two minutes or more before a page loads. Other times, it just times out and I get an error. I would assume this is on the host's end, so I'm not sure there's anything you could do. But it has curtailed my ability to contribute lately, since I have limited time due to my infant daughter's arrival. :)

I also get logged out a lot. Just posting this message, I got logged out. I always have to copy my messages before I post in case the site logs me out so that I don't lose all my work when I click "submit" and get the login screen.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Site slowness

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu May 09, 2019 1:18 am

A little bit of the same here. My mobile device has had the logging-me-out issue. At home on the PC I get the web error after it times out. It is from time-to-time.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu May 09, 2019 2:02 am

I never get logged out, but I'm not on a mobile. I do get the frequent slow-downs (not right now) and occasional timeouts. As Bob suspects, this is a server / hosting company issue. Since the current site is on free hosting there probably isn't much that can be done about it. And given what I've seen of this hosting company if I was going to pay for hosting I'd find a better company before I considered switching to paid. Not that I'm suggesting that we do that. Just saying that I think this company kinda sucks. OTOH, compared to Tapacrap, it's nirvana.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Fri May 10, 2019 12:16 am

I wonder if now might be a good time to switch back to paid hosting. If I remember the argument before against it, it was because we lose players when we switch. As it is, we're down to about five or six active players at the moment as far as I can tell, give or take a couple. The site's definitely hit a lull in terms of active participation, and I wonder if moving to reliable hosting might help encourage people who dip in to stay longer term. Just a thought.

(By the way, logged out twice when I tried to post this. Fortunately, had it copied into cache.)

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri May 10, 2019 12:58 am

Rider has started looking into moving to his paid account. This will take time, weeks of it, since the migration of the database is going to be exceedingly tedious. (He tells me there's no easy "copy existing DB" function.) And even after that's done we'll have an equally tedious task of replacing all the broken links in posts both on this site and on the FFG board, since the paid host has a different root URL.

Yes, with our current low count of both actively-playing members and game activity now is certainly better than later. But the real impetus isn't so much the fact that the site's kinda dead and the VERY annoying server-side slowdown. It's that the board's database is reaching capacity for the free host. We may be able, if we're lucky, fix the problem in the short term by pruning the DB of old content (such as dead games, and perhaps old PMs) but it'd only be a bandage. We'll have to move to paid hosting sooner or later regardless, especially if we want to (re)grow the user base.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 10, 2019 5:02 am

The database is fine we have just under 200mb of data in the database... All text.

The hosting just sucks... I've got the pair hosting set up and ready for testing but we are not ready to move just yet.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Welcome to paid hosting. Please let me know if you continue to have problems. Also please note the new URL. You should be automatically redirected from the old URLs but should update your links.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Fri May 10, 2019 5:36 pm

I updated my link.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 10, 2019 5:47 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:36 pm
I updated my link.
I'm glad the redirect worked. My testing showed it would, but no plan survives contact with the enemy... or your allies for that matter.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri May 10, 2019 6:05 pm

This redirecting is awesome! Damn, too bad we didn't do this the last few times we migrated. I don't know (and doubt) that we could have gotten a redirect on Tapacrap's server, but the last time we tried paid hosting we could have avoided so much grief. {sigh}

Great job, Mister Rider, sir!

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri May 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Wow, this board responds fast now!

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Fri May 10, 2019 6:36 pm

Indeed it does! Thanks for all the work you've done

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Its no problem guys. The site is a labor of love. Hopefully this will help gaming pick up a little.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 pm

So what happened to everything?
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Ok so when the forum transferred all of the permissions were erased. I have restored some very basic permissions and Shado is now going through forum by forum restoring permissions to what they should be. This might take a little bit of time so please bear with us. Hopefully it will be corrected today.

We may also make an error, so if you don't have access to something you think you should have access to let us know and we will look into it.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 pm
So what happened to everything?
I noticed some people had lost primate message capability. When we went it to check the permissions everything disappeared and we are now having to fix it. See above post.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Oh, ok, nice.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 10, 2019 8:54 pm

Shado, thinks it will take him most of the afternoon to get straitened out. I've got to get back to work and don't want to be working over him so hopefully he can work his magic.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri May 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Forum permissions for the Registered Users and Players groups have been assigned. This should get most people back to where they need to be. GM permissions are next. That's going to take me a bit longer to do, as I not only have to assign that group the same rights as Players, but for each member who is a GM I have to assign them extra rights to their own forums. Please bear with me. This is tedious and time-consuming. It'll get done today, have no fear.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri May 10, 2019 9:56 pm

GM permissions should now all be good. I even did Rider's, even though as an admin his admin rights give him access to everything anyway. (That reminds me that I should do my own rights, just to satisfy my OCD.) Rider will need to assign whatever rights he deems fit to member Awarren for his Call of Cthulhu game, as that member is not in the GM group.

If anyone finds any problems, be it with permissions or something else, don't hesitate to mention it. Cross fingers that I got it all...

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Thank you Shado. I spoke with awarren today and will address his privileges if and when he returns to the forum.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri May 10, 2019 11:31 pm

Awesome. Thank you for your efforts.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat May 11, 2019 12:20 am

@ShadoWarrior FYI before you log in no forums are visible. Should we set up some Guest privileges?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat May 11, 2019 12:42 am

I went ahead and assigned some guest permissions. Ran out of time, but I think I got most of the active forums.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sun May 12, 2019 8:35 pm

Woohoo! This is awesome, guys. Thanks for your work, both of you. The site's so much easier to navigate now that it loads quickly. :)

Return to “Cantina”