Endgame... (spoilers likely)

A place to have discussions about stuff IRL.
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Endgame... (spoilers likely)

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:09 pm

Open to discuss the latest Avengers movie? Difficult to believe that Disney did THIS, and then, on the other hand, ......

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: Endgame... (spoilers likely)

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:33 am

I think the arrangement is that Disney owns Marvel, but Marvel calls the shots insofar as their movie making. Disney markets and reaps the profits. Marvel seems to have a LOT more latitude as to how they do things than the former LucasArts. Of course another big issue is that Stan Lee never had a problem playing nice with others. Lucas, OTOH, did and still does what he wants. Lucas has also never really given that much of a shit about what the fans thought. It's always been about his vision, not what the fans want. But that's enough ranting and espousing those personal opinions.

Spoiler:
I just watched a surprisingly good quality pirate cam from China. I can hardly think of anything that could have made this movie better. It very rightly deserves to be the box office record-breaking smash hit that it is. It's amazing that after all of that, only two Marvel heroes are gone for good (three, if you count Vision), and another has retired and passed the shield on. We won't ever see Iron Man again except in flashbacks or weird shit. There's a new Captain America, but without having been given the special treatment that Steve had, the replacement can't take the sort of punishment Cap could. The new one is just a regular human, as far as I know. There'll obviously be more Guardians adventures, and new Doctor Strange stuff. Probably more Thor and Spidey. Could get more Ant-man and Panther, but I hope not. I think we've had enough of them.

I would rather they had killed off the Hulk instead of Stark, but I'll bet that was more a choice of the actors than of the studio. I'll miss Scarlet and her character.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon May 13, 2019 8:00 pm

I really enjoyed this movie. Not my favorite, but hit me hard and kept me engaged the whole time.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 pm

Yeah, about 40 minutes into the movie I raised my hands out to the side (I had empty seats next to me) and thought silently to myself, "This is a good movie. Why can't they do this with Star Wars? It's not that hard!" (A rhetorical question, of course.) I would settle for a small fraction of this in Star Wars

I really liked the clever beginning with the musical choice and family disappearing. It was different and unexpected, but humanistic and enticing. Endgame reminds me a lot of the Empire Strikes Back. Humor, sadness, joy, tears, unexpected outcomes, etc...

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon May 13, 2019 9:26 pm

Yeah, the start made the events relate to the audience. It wasn't just heroes that were affected. Half of all of the sentient life in the entire universe vanished. Family members of common folk, friends. Society breaks down when there's a loss on such a scale. We see that happen in the movie, though they don't spend too much time on it. Just enough to get the point across, without dwelling too long. It is an action flick, after all.

The ONLY Star Wars that had that sort of touch was Rogue One. Not even ESB had it, though it wasn't far off. I consider Rogue One to be a masterpiece. It had everything anyone (except little kids wanting cutesy characters) could ask for. And it's even darker than ESB: everybody the audience gets attached to dies. Yet you come away from the movie not sad, but happy that the good guys 'won', however Pyrrhic it was. Remains to be seen how many characters will survive this week's series finale of GoT. :P

Return to “Cantina”