IX

A place to have discussions about stuff IRL.
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

IX

Post by DeepSpacer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:39 pm

Any thoughts on the trailer released today? :D :( :o 8-) :? :cry: :evil: :mrgreen:

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: IX

Post by ShadoWarrior » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 pm

Palpatine survived ... somehow. He's been on Endor the whole time.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:10 pm

I mean, it doesn't matter, I'll see it opening night. :mrgreen:

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 pm

Probably a Force ghost of Palps. The Dark Lord is back, so excited.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:25 pm

I'm excited because it's 1. Star Wars, 2. has characters that I really like, and 3. it's Star Wars. Downside: another J.J. Abrams film. He needs to go back to the small screen.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 pm
Palpatine survived ... somehow. He's been on Endor the whole time.
The basis of the Dark Empire comics in the '90s was the Emperor returning through a clone body of himself. Maybe?

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:32 am

ThreeBFour wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 am
The basis of the Dark Empire comics in the '90s was the Emperor returning through a clone body of himself. Maybe?
Yeah. They've seemed to try and "blend in" plots and characters from comics, and such, with the intent of pleasing those fans. Yet, by picking and choosing some and not others (Mara Jade, Thrawn, etc...) and altering the main character's lives, they seem to have alienated many. Many characters they introduce have no effect on the plot or story. They're the Easter eggs for fans of novels, comic, cartoons, etc...

Initially, I think "clone of Emperor" ranks at the bottom of my list. Survived Death Star blast would barely be a step up. Force Ghost would be plausible to my mind. Sort of like a haunting. They going to do a Luke vs Emperor, again?

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:06 am

The entire premise for the Disney post-Endor Star Wars universe is rife with implausibility. That the galaxy deliberately ignores clear proof that the Empire is resurgent in the form of the First Order is asinine, but what's worse is expecting the audience to believe that the First Order could have somehow managed to build a huge military force, one capable of quickly crushing the good guys, without anyone noticing is absurd. The scale of construction is so vast that somebody would have noticed the allocation of resources. Such resources could not all have come from unknown parts of the galaxy. The First Order star destroyers are larger than the old Imperial ones, and those could only be built at two locations (the largest shipyards in the galaxy): Fondor and Kuat. (Well, Dac and perhaps Rendili could build ships that large, but they didn't.) So the First Order not only had to build the ships, they had to build the infrastructure to build the ships. All in secret, and in less than 30 years from scratch? Bullshit, unless they go with "Palpatine had secret shipyards out in boonies" that were never used before he lost at Endor (because if they had been used then the Rebels would have known, as the ships they built and went into service couldn't be traced back to Fondor or Kuat).

Having prefaced with that, it's no longer a surprise that J.J Abrams and friends continue to come up with silly shit. Episode 8 was a truly awful movie. Makes the prequels look good great by comparison. Bringing back Palpatine is proof of J.J. Abrams appalling lack of imagination. After all, Episode 7 was just a ripoff of Episode 4 . New characters, same premise (more or less). I love the characters, hate the scripts. Well, I should qualify that. The good characters are well-written and well-acted. The evil ones have bad acting and even worse writing.

[/rant]

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:26 pm

LOL. I am not invested at all in the move. If you guys tell me it is good I may watch it. As for the ships being built. I had assumed that most of them were left over from the empire and had simply banded together to become the first order.

Also the empire was not universally hated. Many planets liked the empire and benefited from their rule, other were simply indifferent. So just because the rebels destroyed the emperor does not mean the empire died with him. A successor or successors could have been appointed. That was my understanding of how things went. Many systems joined the new republic and many others followed one or another faction of the old empire. The new order in my mind is simply the fraction that won out over the others.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:57 pm

swrider wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:26 pm
As for the ships being built. I had assumed that most of them were left over from the empire and had simply banded together to become the first order.
Bad assumption. We see all new ship designs, hence all new ships.
swrider wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:26 pm
Also the empire was not universally hated. Many planets liked the empire and benefited from their rule, other were simply indifferent. So just because the rebels destroyed the emperor does not mean the empire died with him. A successor or successors could have been appointed. That was my understanding of how things went. Many systems joined the new republic and many others followed one or another faction of the old empire. The new order in my mind is simply the fraction that won out over the others.
This is a (partial) extract from the official history:

"After being extracted out of conflict zones on Coruscant, Imperial Grand Vizier Mas Amedda contacts Mon Mothma and sues for peace, initiating talks that culminate in the signing of the Galactic Concordance. The Empire relinquishes several worlds to the New Republic, including Coruscant, and is given strict borders for its own territories. According to the Imperial Articles of Surrender, the recruitment and mobilization of Imperial armed forces is ended, and the Imperial Government at large is dissolved, leading to the creation of an internal Government within the Empire’s newly-established territories. The Galactic Civil War concludes, five years after it officially began at the Battle of Scarif. (Aftermath: Empire’s End, Lost Stars, BOOK: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary)

Surviving Imperial forces led by Admiral Rae Sloane continue to engage the New Republic in various holdouts on Jakku, before retreating into the Unknown Regions on the deathbed orders of Gallius Rax. She helps to slowly but surely rebuild the Empire in secret, an entity that eventually renames itself the First Order."

Note the last sentence: "slowly but surely rebuild the Empire in secret", This is bullshit. It requires fans to just turn off their brains (more so than Star Wars normally does). It cannot have reasonably been done. In fact, this is why the New Republic doesn't believe that the First Order is a significant threat. Yet it easily crushes the Republic. We just have to not scratch beneath the surface of the (slapped together) story and ignore the impossibility of it all. 30 years is enough time, but that amount of construction (to establish the infrastructure to build the ships) would leave traces as rare materials have to be procured and shipped in vast quantities. I simply don't buy that no one noticed or that it was all magically available in the Unknown Regions.

Return to “Cantina”