Game systems

A place to have discussions about stuff IRL.
swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Game systems

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:11 pm

So... I'm getting kinda bored with starwars games. I am not going to stop by games or drop or of any but I probably won't start out join any new ones for a while.

Are there any other games systems you guy like or have been wanting to run or play? Just looking for suggestions as i will most likely have to learn a new system.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Re: Game systems

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:16 pm

Is it Star Wars specifically or the FFG narrative dice?

I really like Genesys/STar Wars.

The Lex Arcana Italian RPG has a cool system, haven't gotten to play it yet though. the lore is neat too, it's a 'mythology is real' Rome that didn't fall.

I like the Doctor Who RPG, does damage a cool way and encourages non-combat play.

Been playing Delta Green lately with some friends, enjoy that, although I like the 7ed CoC combat system a bit better.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:58 pm

It's a creativity thing. I feel like I have been there done that with the star wars setting I feel the same way with dnd, but to a lesser extent.

I'll look into those systems. Any of them affordable?

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:07 pm

Delta Green and Call of Cthulhu definitely are.

Lex Arcana IDK, I got in on the crowdfunding so IDK how much they actually go for.

The Doctor Who one is sadly like 50$ even as a PDF, and that's just for the core rulebook.

Genesys is like 20$ on drivethrurpg, it's the generic version of the system used in Star Wars, with short sections on different types of games (Scifi, steampunk, superhero, horror, etc.). I enjoy the system, it has a few small differences from Star Wars.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:12 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:16 pm
I really like Genesys
Agreed, take the dice and the narrative system we love, and drop in damn near any setting. Also there are a ton of fan made supplements to get you jump started, Transformers, Avatar (The Last Airbender, not the movie, although that would be easy to do.) Harry Potter.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:35 pm

Maze Rats is a d6 system. My cousin is actually working on one called Star Rats based on the same system. https://www.star-rats.com/?m=1 Join the discord and it’s a free pdf.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:34 pm

I have asked on this board before if anyone is interested in playing any of the following systems:
  • Star Trek (Decipher or the earlier version by LUG, both of which are out of print; there is a new system that came out in 2016 but I haven't played it)
  • Battlelords of the 23rd Century
  • Twilight 2013 {post-WW3 military roleplay, realistic, no mutants (this isn't Fallout)}
  • Shadowrun 5e
  • anything by White Wolf
but I've never gotten anyone to say that they'd be interested.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:40 pm

I own the new Mophidius Star Trek but haven't played it.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:43 pm

I must have missed the Shadowrun post. That would be interesting.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:52 pm

Doctor Who wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:40 pm
Hardcopy or PDF? PDFs of the game can be bought at DriveThruRPG.com. I'd be willing to play or GM this game system. I'd prefer to be a player, but I'll GM if no one else will. Fortunately I can now afford to spend money on gaming. Something that I couldn't do a couple of months ago, and haven't been able to do for the last decade.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:56 pm

kanila wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:43 pm
I must have missed the Shadowrun post. That would be interesting.
I have the complete 5e system in PDFs somewhere. It's not on my current desktop's hard drive, so I'll have to hunt through my external storage drives and see where I stashed it.

There's a 6e version, but I don't have it and, based on the reviews I've seen for it, I'm not willing to spend money on this newest version.

I've never GMed SR, just played it ... starting with 1e way back in the 80s.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:48 pm

Ah. I’ve never played myself but it looks fun.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:07 pm

SR is a very fun game. There is also a CRPG version, which IIRC is based on the 4e rules, that's very well done. It plays like most turn-based (IGOUGO) isometric RPGs.

Since I've never GMed SR, and it's been about a decade since I last played (via PbP), I'd have to use a published adventure. I'm just not deeply enough immersed in the system or the setting's lore to whip up an adventure from scratch.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:46 pm

I like Rifts and the connected Universe from Palladium. Mutants and Materminds was fun.
For those looking TheTrove.net has got tons of PDFs that are free.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:12 pm

TheTrove.net has all of the Shadowrun stuff anyone could ever want. Thanks for the link!!!

Also has FFG's Star Wars!

And it has the LUG Star Trek, and the current Star Trek Adventures!!! (But no Decipher version, which came between LUG and the current one.)

They have Twilight 2013 "hidden" beneath Twilight 2000 (since TW2013 is a complete overhaul of the older TW2000 game).

White Wolf's product line is under "World of Darkness". They have both the oWoD and new stuff. All 3 editions of Exalted are under "Exalted". Exalted, BTW, is a great game and game system.

And of course they don't have Battlelords of the Twenty-third Century. The best damn space RPG ... that almost no one has ever heard of -- even after being in existence for almost 30 years and currently on its 7th edition (which can be bought at DriveThruRPG.com).

PS - Everything at TheTrove.net is pirated content, not legally free. Just thought I'd point this out.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:02 pm

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:52 pm
Doctor Who wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:40 pm
Hardcopy or PDF? PDFs of the game can be bought at DriveThruRPG.com. I'd be willing to play or GM this game system. I'd prefer to be a player, but I'll GM if no one else will. Fortunately I can now afford to spend money on gaming. Something that I couldn't do a couple of months ago, and haven't been able to do for the last decade.
PDFs, although I don't wanna start a new game just yet. About to graduate and facing horrifyingly bad hiring prospects and don't know how life is gonna shake out.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:04 pm

Dude! My head is spinning just trying to comprehend character creation for SR! Sounds fun but I would need some serious handholding for the first dozen times haha.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:17 pm

SR is a pretty complicated game system that is not friendly to people who haven't been immersed in the lore (game setting). Basic character creation is daunting, with a lot of steps and a lot of dependencies that'll have you going back and forth. Of all the games I listed it's in a league of its own insofar as having a very steep learning curve. By comparison FFG Star Wars is simple (and creating a character in FFG is not simple, but at least in FFG it's relatively straightforward and well-explained).

You'll note that I listed SR5e fourth on my list. You just ran into the reason why. I'm familiar with the system, but I'm far from being expert at it. If someone twists my arm -- a lot -- I'll GM it. But I'd prefer pretty much any of the other games/systems I listed.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:32 pm

Yea I just looked up a discord for Shadowrun 5e. Pretty large community and the descriptor makes it seem new player friendly. Looks like all games are ran through discord, where a player makes a character and joins a game with others for a mission. No real tie ins to groups but more a sign up for a mission and run with others that sign up for the same one. Seems like an interesting idea.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:26 am

Twilight--- Is that based on the "vampire" novels?
Sharon I've been interested in for a while but am not willing to gm as I've never played it. I read through the manual a long time ago.

I suppose I could do star trek, not really feeling another space game right now.

Genesis sounds good, but I'm not sure that I want to put that much effort into designing a new game at this moment.

Honestly though if someone else is gm I'll try any if the games mentioned. If I gm I'll have to think about it.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:56 am

Twilight 2000/2013 is a military-themed RPG set in the aftermath of WW3. Most PCs will be military (officers or enlisted) and they may come from different service branches and from different national militaries. Players can also create characters with backgrounds other than military, but in my experience this tends to be much less than optimal, although it can certainly lead to very interesting party dynamics and encounters. Normally a game is set in eastern Europe (typically Poland or the Czech Republic)), but games could also be set within the U.S., with players dealing with collapsed national governments and regional warlords.

SR has changed a lot since the last time you looked at it, if the last time you looked at it FFG hadn't yet released their Star Wars.

Trek (LUG or the new one) would be the easiest systems to get into, as they're fairly simple systems (a bit simpler than FFG's) and everyone's already very well acquainted with the setting. In my experience though, it can be tough for some players because not every character will have something productive to do in every scene. Much worse than Star Wars when people are inside a ship twiddling their thumbs. Medical personnel have no business being on the Bridge unless someone's injured and can't be moved (even by beaming). Science officers won't be all that useful in combat situations. A conn officer doesn't have much use besides piloting stuff. And so on. This pretty much forces players to play multiple characters so they have someone they can use in most scenes. And the GM has to carefully craft adventures (or modify published ones) to match what players are playing, much more so than in pretty much any other game system.

I'll GM, but I'll need firm commitments from one or more players before I invest the time it'll take to get a game up and running. The easiest part, for me, will be teaching folks one of these systems. The time-consuming and hard part is crafting an adventure. Of course.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:28 am

I'll play, tell me which system and I'll try to get references. I would start all the hard work until I can confirm that I got there materials though. Just in case.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:25 am

Okay, let's go with something not space then. No one seems all that interested in Trek, and I'm not going to ask anyone to pony up money to get the Battlelords core rules PDF. Not really in the mood/mindset for fantasy, so that leaves Twilight 2013 and Shadowrun 5e. Twilight 2013's Reflex System is complicated (as any highly realistic game will be), but it's well-documented with explanatory examples, so it's not confusing.

Players will need the following PDFs (obtainable from TheTrove.net):

Twilight 2013 - 93GS1301 Core Rulebook
Twilight 2013 - 93GS1304 Rules Addendum
Twilight 2013 - 93GS1305 Character Dossier (character sheets, print the ones you need as unfortunately it's not form-fillable)
Twilight 2013 - Combat Example
Twilight 2013 - Quickstart Rules (optional)

Please avoid reading any of the three "Everytown" PDFs, as I'll be using content from that.

I'll need a consensus from the players as to where the game will take place: eastern Europe or in what's left of the United States. The game is intended to be played in Europe, so that languages are an important part of the game and character creation. But if you'd rather play in the USA (and thus only have to deal with English, and perhaps Spanish), I can accommodate that. Bear in mind that you will encounter a LOT more (and well-armed) hostiles in the USA (a country with an over-abundance of guns and people itching to use them) than in Europe (where common folk mostly only have bolt-action hunting weapons).

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:10 pm

I'll get back to you after getting and looking through materials.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:15 pm

It and for the record I was always turned if by twilight because if a certain book and movie series that shall not be named, which killed the cannot genera by having them sparkle in the sunlight.

Return to “Cantina”