"Watch Thread" Option

Discussions related to the operation of this board, or the mechanics of the game systems used in the games played on this board.
Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

"Watch Thread" Option

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Is there no option anymore to "watch thread" and get alerts for every new post? I know that option used to exist, but I can't seem to find it anymore.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Re: "Watch Thread" Option

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:26 pm

With the free hosting we're using there is a very low limit on the number of emails that the board can send out per day (50, IIRC). So the feature that you're inquiring about was disabled by the admins (Rider, specifically) as it is ridiculously easy to exceed that limit.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 am

You can't get emails but you can get notifications. In the forum you click on the options symbol and bookmark the topic. This will create a message every time a new post is made. We'll some times it create only one of multiple pairs are made in the same topic but it does notify you.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:30 am

OK, huh, swear it was a different option a few months ago, I might just be crazy.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:46 am

Subscribe is what it used to be, but that debt emails and was disabled as shado said.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:52 am

Oh, didn't even see shado's reply. My bad. Was trying to multitask, should have actually checked this thread, lol.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:22 pm

What's the difference between a subscription and a notification, in terms of emails sent? Don't they both send an email (just one provides more content than the other), and isn't too many emails still a problem? I thought that we had all outbound emails, except those for registration, disabled?

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:24 pm

I still get emails from threads that used the old term for following the thread, but not for the new ones I've bookmarked.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:00 pm

all emails except for outbound registratons are disabled. None should be going out. Notifications simply appear at the top left of the screen. Subscriptions send emails. that is the difference.

Ill have to look into why doc is receiving emails, he shouldn't be receiving any at all.

Return to “Republic Senate”