Intiative Tracker

Discussions related to the operation of this board, or the mechanics of the game systems used in the games played on this board.
swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Intiative Tracker

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:05 am

Everyone I have been trying to think of a better way to track initiative. I built the below code to allow tracking initiative to be done automatically. When a player has gone they simply click next and the slot if taken. When all turns have been taken the next push of next will reset for the next round. Since each player marks when they have completed their turn their is no guess work by the gm's or other players. Since it records usernames their is a running list of who's turn it is. You can see it set up for use in the Dark Patron of the Temple of Light game in any discussion forum. At the moment it only works for one game, but could be adapted to work for multiples if people would like to use it in other games.

Let me know your thoughts, please. Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Next
Update

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Re: Intiative Tracker

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:40 pm

Ok due to the overwhelmingly positive feedback (singular) that I got. I went ahead and updated the code to make it usable for different campaigns. I also fixed a bug that was displaying a blank occasionally when people would click next. Now the only time it should display a blank is if someone is not logged into the forums and clicks the link (shouldn't happen but I'll put a fix in for that also at some point).

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Very cool! Is it set up so that only the GM can clear it? I'd worry that a player might accidentally click the wrong thing and wipe the board. But I guess that's not too big of a deal, since everyone will presumably be following along in the IC and OOC threads.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:47 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:42 pm
Very cool! Is it set up so that only the GM can clear it? I'd worry that a player might accidentally click the wrong thing and wipe the board. But I guess that's not too big of a deal, since everyone will presumably be following along in the IC and OOC threads.
No anyone can use the update button. However, it is not as simple as simply pushing a button. You have to put in new entries to update the whole thing.

As for clearing to a new round, that again is a no. Once every turn is filled by a username the next time next is clicked you revert to the top of the round. I am not sure if that is an issue should a player do it as opposed to a gm. In fact if PCs go at the top of the round it may speed things up for a player to be able to move to the next round and go. They don't need to wait for the GM to declare it is a new round.

That will be something to keep an eye out on when it is being tested in play.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 pm

@SavageBob If you would like to use it in your games I can add it at the top. Like I do with the force tracker. Once that is done it is completely modifiable without Admin privileges.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:51 pm

@swrider, very cool. I should have a game starting up soon I hope. Need to get through this weekend to focus on creation.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Cool!

Return to “Republic Senate”