Transferring Droid AI from one body to another

Discussions related to the operation of this board, or the mechanics of the game systems used in the games played on this board.
Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Transferring Droid AI from one body to another

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:03 am

Are there any rules to cover this? I know the old EU had it possible, with examples like IG-88 and more recently HK47, but does the game have any rules for this?

I have a player that will definitely want to try this if he can, moving a PC's droid character to a new body if a better one comes up, within reason of course, he doesn't intend to do have assassin droid chassis or anything. I want to make a ruling now, so he knows well in advance if such a thing would work or not.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Re: Transferring Droid AI from one body to another

Post by swrider » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:07 am

I would put it on the same lines as a major surgery. There is a very real risk the transfer may go wrong killing the character. So it would be very difficult Computers and mechanics checks. I would start the difficulty out at CCCCC for both. That is five red dice on two rolls. Then I would allow the difficulty to be downgraded by player actions and preparations. Search out the best technician someone who specializes in this 1 down grade (maybe 2), Purchase specialized equipment and tools 1 downgrade, Find a well equipped droid shop to perform the operations 1 downgrade. etc...

remember to have things which can down grade both checks I still recommend a minimum of one Challenge die in the mix.

Note this is for an entire body swap. I think i have a house rule for modifying an existing body cosmetically.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:49 am

I think it also depends on what the player is hoping to achieve by the change. Is this the player's way of account for the character's natural growth narratively? For example, is he trying to account for better armor or a new rank in Enduring by saying his droid PC got new plating? Or did he just buy the Swift talent and wants to say his droid has upgraded locomotion servos? That shouldn't be that difficult or even require a roll necessarily; consider C-3PO in TPM versus ANH. But if the idea is to put an astromech brain into a protocol droid body or something equally different, I think Rider's suggestion sounds workable.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 am

Per RAW you cannot change chassis to alter stats of any sorts (attributes, equipment, whatever). The rules do permit you to justify a chassis swap as a narrative way to describe getting the Dedication talent, but that's pushing it. A GM might allow it. I won't, because all Dedication picks can be explained by internal upgrades. New gear can be explained as Bob has.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:29 am

SavageBob wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:49 am
I think it also depends on what the player is hoping to achieve by the change. Is this the player's way of account for the character's natural growth narratively? For example, is he trying to account for better armor or a new rank in Enduring by saying his droid PC got new plating? Or did he just buy the Swift talent and wants to say his droid has upgraded locomotion servos? That shouldn't be that difficult or even require a roll necessarily; consider C-3PO in TPM versus ANH. But if the idea is to put an astromech brain into a protocol droid body or something equally different, I think Rider's suggestion sounds workable.
Good points.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:15 pm

Ok, I'll probably not allow it then, if it comes up.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

RoijacHelix
Mercenary

Post by RoijacHelix » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:26 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 am
Per RAW you cannot change chassis to alter stats of any sorts (attributes, equipment, whatever). The rules do permit you to justify a chassis swap as a narrative way to describe getting the Dedication talent, but that's pushing it. A GM might allow it. I won't, because all Dedication picks can be explained by internal upgrades. New gear can be explained as Bob has.
The exception would be cybernetics. My house rule has been to allow certain body modifications using the cybernetics rules, and certain cybernetics do modify core stats.

I agree, however, that a full body swap should be extremely difficult. Though I had a couple of PCs try it anyways in one of my campaigns I GM'd.

Return to “Republic Senate”