OOC Session 04: A diplomatic solution

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules

Use LS * Use DS * Update

Next * Update * Edit
swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Re: OOC Session 04: A diplomatic solution

Post by swrider » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:23 am

That is true but it gives us less control. A simple letter with a demand gives us the ability to remain hidden. But making further demands is more difficult.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:13 am

Cor blimey, that's a lot of very enouraging chat.

To answer some of the questions that have been asked:

The Council
  • The council is composed of a dozen members and the Planetary Governor.
  • The three council members Val Dene mentioned are the most individually influential members of the council. They each represent a different company.
  • For specific details about the council members and their organisations, you'll need to do a little digging. Though Val Dene's staff's background check might be a good stating point and may provide some leads.
  • For actual leverage on particular members (or the governor) you will also need to do some digging.
Lohu city (Much of this you may know from the dossier)
  • Like many cities in the real world, the city of Lohu is situated on a supply of fresh water - the river Lo. However, as the city has grown, so has its demand, which is now largely supplied from two major resevoirs located inland and transported via aqueduct.
  • Isde Naha is not an overly verdant world, predominated by grassland, tundra, and desert. Traditionally, the populace has reared livestock and continues to do so in the countryside today. Farmland strung out along the banks of the river Lo (and similar locations across the continent) supplements diets but cannot hope to meet demand. Consequently, Isde Naha relies heavily on interstellar commerce to supply a varied (and frequently luxurious) diet for its people.
  • Specifics around diseases that would threaten the local supply of arable produce or livestock will require some research on your part.
  • One of the reasons Isde Naha is in such a strong bargaining position is precisely because it does not have any rivals of nearby neighbours. However, there are certainly pirates in the region who prey on such heavy traffic. Further investigation may also turn up leads in this area.
The Rebellion
I've not provided a specific date here but this campaign is currently set a short time before the Battle of Yavin, with the Rebellion beginning to coalesce from the various dissident factions operating in a largely independant manner.

Yes in my universe the Rebellion are the good guys but I do subscribe to the Rogue One idea that they would not shy away from a dirty deed for the right reason. However, I suspect that poisoning the water supply of hundreds of thousands/millions of innocent people might just fall beyond that line.

A dissident faction on it's own might be willing to cross that line if it were to achieve something worthwhile, though I wonder what that might be on a world that is virtually independant. However, framing such a faction makes some sense to me.

Hopefully that's a helpful starting point!

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:03 pm

How many people know we are here on this planet?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:17 pm

Two resevoirs that could make things difficult. An accident would not likely affect both. Taking one out will probably hurt but may not hurt enough. That means a frame up for a terrorist attack is probably necessary.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:34 pm

So I guess a good question to ask now is do we want the party to split up to work on different objectives? (and if so, 2 teams of 3, or 3 teams of 2?) Or do we pick one plan and all work on it together?

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:59 pm

Well, I'd like to follow up on digging into the background of the members of the council. Getting them in our, or at least the Ambassador's pocket, would be the most low impact and low profile option. Honest politicians are unlikely to have much for dirt to use in the first place.

The other options I could see as operations for Rebel activity. if we can find a rebel cell, or a group like pirates or a gang we can mold to the purpose. Remember though the idea isn't to hurt this world but to make it so the Empire has something they want. While hurting it might be necessary it'd be better if we could show up the local security forces in quelling their "Rebel Activity". That there is only a couple of stormtroopers as official forces in system makes that a bit difficult though. Best option in that case might be to make enough things going on or keeping our "rebels" one step ahead of the security forces.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:27 pm

Hurt is a relative term. The ideal contaminate to use would be an incapacitating agent. Something like cryptosporidium. The small creature that infiltrates water supplies and causes what hikers commonly call the Hershey squirts. It is extremely difficult to get rid of can make people sick for upto six months. It is also unlikly to kill people. A few could die if they were already in bad health.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:58 am

Okay, well I think we can safely zoom out a bit at this point in the session. I'll remind you that some of you were discussing doing some shopping, also. This may also be a suitable time to do that.

Let's start with @Spiritbw as you've got a clearly stated short term objective - what steps would you like to take to carry out your initial investigation? You can, of course, talk to Val Dene's staff. But for further investigation we'll look at a suitable roll or rolls.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:28 pm

Well first would actually be ending a report back about our stowaway. :)

After that, yes talking to the staff would be the next step. Getting what they know on these four will then determine what gets done next.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:58 pm

Okay! Well, a report can be sent via subspace relay - the facilities to send out a message are present in the rooms. It will take some time to reach its destination but is a wise move, certainly.

If you'd like to declare your next step IC (and anyone else can do likewise) I'll address what happens. If two characters go do something together, you may gain skilled/unskilled assistance if a broad check is called for.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Chibiithii had a great int and can provide a. N extra boost if providing skilled assistance. Perhaps someone should invite him along to keep an eye on him.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:13 pm

I can go chat with someone. Should I talk to the council or the imperial staff or go out and about into the town?

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:59 am

We could go really dark and orcastrate simultaneous bombings or explosions at key locations?

This would certainly grab attention and could be easier to frame said person(s)/factions. I'm sure Bardax will be happy to imitate a selected person of importance and have them caught at the wrong place/wrong time.

If not that, then we could maybe foil an "attempted assassination" on a political figure (not sure if this one was suggested already)?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:15 am

@Azzranache we have a shopper! Okay, so the palm stunner you are looking for is Rarity 5. You're on an Outer Rim planet which modifies rarity by +2 (7) however, Isde Naha is one of the premier trade hubs in the Outer Rim. So, despite being an illegal item, I will reduce the rarity by 1 to a total of 6.

That makes it a Hard (ImageImageImage) Streetwise Check to locate this particular item but it retains its base price of 500 credits. If you would care to roll that in OOC here, that'd be appreciated.

Thanks

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:21 am

Great stuff!

Anyone else interested in tagging along for some black market treats?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:24 am

nice idea. @kanila do I remember you mentioning wanting to find something too? If you do go together I will allow you to assist on each other's checks.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:58 am

Definitely! Time for some off the books shopping!
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:20 pm

Fab, are you looking for something in particular? (So I can determine required check)

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:35 pm

A blaster suppressor but I can’t afford it yet.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:34 pm

kanila wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:35 pm
A blaster suppressor but I can’t afford it yet.
I know the feeling Chibiithii is broke! LOL. Hopefully he will become an agent and get an allowance too at some point. Not that there is anything I actually want for him at this moment.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:40 pm

@crazybirdman Will you make the knowledge lore check so Chibiithii can provide skilled assistance. That will give us a combined roll of YGGGB Against SBSB. Raven has one rank in knowledge lore. Chibiithii has an INT of 4 and provides a boost when giving skilled assist through his racial. That should provide us with a favorable result. Emphasis on Should

I am thinking we go to the library. It may provide a more diverse section of information and help keep us out of the eye of the government a bit more. It will also help with our cover should we decide to go with the anthropologist route later.

@SanguineAngel
Chibiithii will try researching the silverbelt in general.
Local medicines especially those which originate in the silverbelt (The disease which go along with these medicines)
City infrastructure and design.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:54 pm

got it, go to library/archives, do a bit of research together. I may chat with the librarian also.
@SanguineAngel whats the check to charm any useful info out of the librarian, assuming they have any useful info?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:37 pm

Okay, so now we're cooking.
@kanila that's absolutely fine - you could still look for it if you like. The rarity is the same as bardax's stunner so it would also be a Hard (ImageImageImage) Streetwise Check. It could be worth doing as SUPER favourable results on the 2 Streetwise checks could see you able to afford both items between you. (My calculations would indicate 4 advantage on each roll could affect the price to such a degree.)

@crazybirdman you can certainly try to ingratiate yourself with the library staff on arrival - it'll require an Average (ImageImage) Charm Check. If you'd care to roll this first and wait for my reply to that roll before going on to hit the books. I'll leave the description of your approach up to you!

@swrider The check for researching the history of the silver belt is indeed an Average (ImageImage) Knowledge Lore Check

You mention 3 topics there: Silver Belt (Lore), Local diseases and medicines (Xenology), and City infrastructure (Education). There are two options here for you:
1. You could research each topic independantly using the appropriate skill - this would take considerably longer (could take days) but may yield more detailed information.
2. Perfom a single check encompassing all three - this would take less time but yield potentially less information. If you do this, pick one of the three topics as your primary focus of the search and I will prioritise the results accordingly.

Assume that a base length of time spent in a single research session to be half a day, though that is naturally subject to results of the roll.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:47 pm

You had mentioned the difficulty in a previous post. that is how I knew it would be average. I am fine researching any of the above information though information about the silver belt may prove the most directly useful at this moment. Since @crazybirdman is making the roll he can decide which is most important or another if he has. My goal in stating what I was looking for was mostly to give ideas on how any success/ advantages/ triumphs could be utilized.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:58 pm

swrider wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:47 pm
You had mentioned the difficulty in a previous post. that is how I knew it would be average. I am fine researching any of the above information though information about the silver belt may prove the most directly useful at this moment. Since @crazybirdman is making the roll he can decide which is most important or another if he has. My goal in stating what I was looking for was mostly to give ideas on how any success/ advantages/ triumphs could be utilized.
Roger. Whichever way cbm chooses to go I will take those three things into account when interpreting the results.

Return to “Discussion”