OOC Session 03: An elegant weapon

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules

Use LS * Use DS * Update

Next * Update * Edit
SanguineAngel
Flyboy

OOC Session 03: An elegant weapon

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:31 pm

In which players will craft their lightsabers!

Please each roll a destiny dice for destiny points.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Re: OOC Session 03: An elegant weapon

Post by kanila » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:32 pm

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Chibiithii; Dark Academy; Destiny:
, 1 Dark Side

@SanguineAngel as dark-side force users and a dark campaign, do we flip dark side destiny points or light-side destiny points? Traditionally players flip ls points, but traditionally players are the good guys who would be aided by the light side.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:27 pm

Since Chibiithi is outside the compound looking in I plan on having him approach it cautiously and as he would a potentially hostile environment. That is probably going to involve a lot of checks. It seems like you will be having Chibiithii do this while the others build their sabers so I assume it will be over a course of time. This is what I am thinking so far and should give you an idea of the types of checks I am looking at possibly using and the manner in which I was thinking of approaching the compound.

• The first stage for him is to plan an attack and scope out the target. (Difficulties in this group have him staying back and just observing.
    • Perception for a general layout of the facility. ~ rolled an in the IC as it is the first step.
    • perception/ vigilance? identify possible points of entry and egress.
  • Reconnaissance (this includes him moving around and attempting to gain more active knowledge of the compound.
    • Knowledge Education check. To see what he can tell about the base set up and determine what structures may be etc..
    • knowledge warfare check. To identify vulnerabilities in deference/ identify hositle structures etc...
    • vigilance identify any patrols/ security cameras or systems etc.. outside the facility.
    • survival~ look for possible foliage with witch to make camouflage
    • survival~ find items to make simple booby traps for use to protect escape route
  • Action
    • Stealth~ entry into site
    • athletics~ climb walls trees etc... if needed
    • cool or discipline if desired
    • Perception notice new details check on ingress and egress routes.
  • Escape route
    • Survival~ use make shift booby traps to protect escape route.
    • Vigilance~ notice any hidden impediments along escape route
    • Survival~ notice food/ water sources. He has rations, but would probably be on the lookout for other sources.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30 pm

@swrider

Good and bad are decided from the view point. Everyone is the good guy in their own story!

Plus they have been using the system as designed. Light or Dark use effects morality. But Light is still preferred as Dark causes strain... I think.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:34 pm

@kanila The system as designed allows for the use of either dark or light side pips depending on the type of user. They take strain for using the side opposite to what they are. I.e light side users take strain for using dark side pips and vice versa. I think their may actually be cut off with morality to determine this.

Those are pips.
I am asking about the destiny points. Typically the GM uses dark side points to upgrade attacks and things like that. Players would use light side points to do the same and invent narrative etc...

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:47 pm

Hey guys, looking good so far.

@crazybirdman your post is most excellent. Nailed your mentor's attitude.

@swrider thanks for the above notice on intended action - absolutely perfect. Good call on the roll. I'd have called an easy check on that. I'll follow up tomorrow (bout to head to bed).

@swrider @kanila you're both absolutely correct. I am currently using light side points and dark side points as normal. If anyone moves into dark side paragon then they will invert the use but that is also within the rules.

As to Destiny point use, I am currently sticking to standard use as Knaila says - you guys use LS and I use DS. Might make a thematic flip as and when they party slips properly into the dark but until then I don't see a need to complicate things by changing rules (even though its only thematic).

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:50 pm

@SanguineAngel will we get a chance to 'shop' before our next mission? I mostly just want more stimpacks, but may think of something else that I need that is in my budget.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:44 am

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:46 am

GM; Dark Academy; Destiny Pool:
, 1 Dark Side

@crazybirdman there's no shops in the academy - obviously it's not a big commercial area! But you'll certainly have the opportunity to pick up supplies on your next assignment - out in the galaxy at large. Even if your mission destination doesn't necessarily afford you the opportunity, you would be able to stop off on the way somewhere else.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 am

Hey everyone, apologies but Bardax will be classically late to "class".

Will wait for @Jesster to post before making an entrance.

@crazybirdman makes a valid point, if people want to add attachments to their new hilts (if successfully crafted), will there be a chance to acquire materials and attempt further construction before session 4?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 am

Azzranache wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 am
@crazybirdman makes a valid point, if people want to add attachments to their new hilts (if successfully crafted), will there be a chance to acquire materials and attempt further construction before session 4?
Unlikely, unless you come up with an inventive method - such as stealing materials, which carries its own risk. The same applies to crystal modifications which also carry a financial cost and so require the aquisition of components.

This session will see you with a standard hilt made by yourselves. You will be able to add attachments and make modifications once you are out in the galaxy - basically the beginning of session 4 - and able to access merchants and such. Rarity checks, costs, and location & negotiation modifiers plus any checks and time for installation will apply as appropriate.

Edit: by standard hilt, I mean in modded/no attachments. You will be able to select a type of hilt of your choosing. Some are more difficult to craft than others.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:46 am

@SanguineAngel Cool, thanks!

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:54 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 am
Unlikely, unless you come up with an inventive method - such as stealing materials, which carries its own risk. The same applies to crystal modifications which also carry a financial cost and so require the aquisition of components.

So you're saying we can do a side mission to sneak in and steal supplies before we leave for session 4?!?! :mrgreen: I think, what with us being dark side agents, the Empire would congratulate us if we pulled it off :mrgreen:

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:03 pm

crazybirdman wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:54 pm
SanguineAngel wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 am

So you're saying we can do a side mission to sneak in and steal supplies before we leave for session 4?!?! :mrgreen: I think, what with us being dark side agents, the Empire would congratulate us if we pulled it off :mrgreen:
The Spartans use this method to train their youth to be better warriors. The youth were given insufficient food to survive and were thus forced to steal. The instructors had plenty of food which they kept guarded with a standard guard at all times. The youth that were cunning and brave enough to steal food were rewarded by surviving. Those that were caught were badly beaten. The effect was that their soldiers became better at stealing supplies and the weak ones were whittled out.

They may expect things like this to happen and turn a blind eye to the missing supplies, but that does not mean characters wouldn't be punished for getting caught. Indeed the punishment may be because they got caught and not because what they were actually doing.

@SanguineAngel

I have three immediate thoughts for chibiithii
First, what would be the difficulty of an athletics check to climb the wall. I ask mostly to get an idea of how formidable the wall is. i.e. and average wall, a hard wall, and impossible wall.

Second, You mentioned a stream near the compound wall. Chibiithii being more primitive would assume the compound uses this water for supplies and that the water must therefore enter the compound at some point. He would check for this first. What checks would this require.

Third, The trees are tall but too far away from the wall to be of any use as they currently are. Are all of the trees healthy, or are there some which seem like they could be pushed over or forced to fall towards the wall. (This may help cause a distraction or possible point of entrance).

Are there any sturdy vines on the trees or any materials which could be used to make a rope. Would a rope make it possible for chibiithii to climb a tree and then swing over to the top/inside of the wall?

I am going to go ahead and make a basic post in the IC that Chibiithii is following the stream. I'll add more of these details when I get your feedback.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:06 pm

@swrider
Lovely questions.

1. The Difficulty to climb the wall would be a Daunting (ImageImageImageImage) Athletics Check as there is little purchase and it is a sheer surface.
2. I am sure that with the assistance of the Force (spending a DP) you could locate a tree suffering from axiom rot but it would probably require a check to get it to fall in the direction of your choosing. I would think, using your Lightsaber as a cutting tool - an Easy (Image) Survival Check to guide it down.
3. There are plenty of vines in the forest and you can certainly make a rope out of it - an Average (ImageImage) Survival Check would seem appropriate (Success/failure to see how long it takes. Threat and Advantage may affect its quiality!). A rope would certainly help you climb one of the very tall trees although I would say the trees are far enough away that swinging onto the wall would be a highly risky proposition! You'd need to get momentum but let go of the rope and sly through the air for quite a distance. That would be a Hard (ImageImageImage) Coordination Check at least I think.

I won't respond to your post yet if you're planning to update it based on the above.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:19 pm

What skill do we use in the construction of the lightsaber?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Hey Kanila sharp eyes! Don't roll your creation check just yet - If you could just pick out the template you'd like to use for now and let me know now if you want to use a Light DP to upgrade the check, I'll confirm the total difficulty of the check before asking you to roll. It will be a Mechanics check when it comes time to roll.

Reason being, apart from pacing it out a bit; if you do use a Light DP I may also use a Dark DP to upgrade the difficulty - which will obviously introduce the possibility of a Despair! I want to make you aware of the risk before you opt in. There's a 50% chance of an upgrade to the difficulty.

Usually, I wouldn't make you wait for me on a reactive use of DP - I'd just tell you when I give the the difficulty of the check or roll the upgrade seperately and would try to avoid holding up play in this manner.

Just a reminder when using DP in general - I'm happy for you all to take the initiative on this as long as you declare your use. Of course, if you want to introduce a narrative element, check with me first. I'll try my best to let you know if I plan to use a Dark DP on a check when giving the difficulty.
When you do use a DP, you can flip the counter yourself. It's at the top of both IC and OOC subs. Again, just make you to let us/me know you're using a DP.

@jesster this reminds me, you still need to roll for Destiny points here please.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:15 pm

Yea, I’ll probably use a LS. My int is only 2 after all. I need all the help I can get haha.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 pm

What @kanila said ^

(LS for me too please)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:28 pm

I will be unavailable for most of the day. Chibiithii will attempt making a rope, but even if successful will investigate the water. A falling tree will be quite obvious and is not a preferred route. Especially since it is unlikely to work for both ingress and egress

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Where is Hoss standing while we collect our parts?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:03 am

Thanks for the heads up, sw. Not a problem.

@crazybirdman there is a teacher's workbench at the front of the room. Hoss is standing behind that bench, facing you all. The parts are laid out on the bench in front of him for you to select.

I'll give @jesster a little more time to post before continuing with that.

Return to “Discussion”