OOC Session 2: Shadow Peak Mines

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules

Use LS * Use DS * Update

Next * Update * Edit
Spiritbw
Flyboy

Re: OOC Session 2: Shadow Peak Mines

Post by Spiritbw » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:22 am

So, been playing around with ideas and think I’ve refined the idea I had. Idea being they were a human going through basic training as an Imperial recruit when their force ability was noted. Routed to special training. Determined to serve the Empire they have gone along with it, but everything they have learned previously is that force users are not to be trusted (indoctrination complete sir!)

While they have come to see it as a tool they still don’t trust it fully so only fall back on it as a last resort or use it to enhance themselves. Limits some of thier options as a force user but that’s how the character rolls.

Work in progress now up.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:53 am

crazybirdman wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:53 pm
yeah, that's what I was thinking, even though my character is better at the saber skill than melee.

But even if one had a standard saber, why wouldn't they use the fusion cutter (if they had one)? It seems to be a bit better
In this specific instance, a fusion cutter and a standard saber would probably be similar. Some advantages to the saber would be a lower crit rating, you skill rating, and it cannot be damaged by sunder, vs the fusion cutter's higher crit rating but +30 to crit rolls.

Without stepping into house rules, mechanically in general lightsabers are more moddable, have varying specials based on crystals and pommels etc, are easier to conceal, can't be sundered, and cool as heck. Fusion cutters are a peculiar thing to carry around in most circustances, difficult to conceal, bulkier to carry, can be sundered, aren't as moddable, but are actually pretty handy for cutting things!

There's actually no clearly better item - as with so many things in SWRPG, their value is contextual.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 am

Spiritbw wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:22 am
So, been playing around with ideas and think I’ve refined the idea I had. Idea being they were a human going through basic training as an Imperial recruit when their force ability was noted. Routed to special training. Determined to serve the Empire they have gone along with it, but everything they have learned previously is that force users are not to be trusted (indoctrination complete sir!)

While they have come to see it as a tool they still don’t trust it fully so only fall back on it as a last resort or use it to enhance themselves. Limits some of thier options as a force user but that’s how the character rolls.

Work in progress now up.
Nice one Spiritbw, I like the look of how it's shaping up. Particularly like that you took the Imperial Cadet universal spec - that's a nice touch. I think a technical character is a good pick too.

One small note, although I know it's a WIP - your sentinel career skills also include Knowledge (Core Worlds) and you should only pick a free rank in 3, not four (it is different from EotE and AoR in that you get fewer starting career skills because of force rating, talents and powers )

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:48 am

Ah, thanks. I’ve made corrections there. Will work more on motivation and background tomorrow. Oh, I also noticed I had the Willpower and Presence set wrong too.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Okay, think I got everything.

I know we get a training sabre free, but I can’t think that Galvin wouldn’t use a hilt masking kit on it right away to make it look like something innocuous, like a hydrospanner, as soon as he got the chance. Thing is there is no cost for a hydrospanner so I’m not sure how much I have to rejuggle my equipment.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:27 am

Okay @Azzranache, @crazybirdman, @Jesster we're back at the top of the next round so you three all have a slot before the creature gets an opportunity to act.

@Spiritbw As with Kanila's Rashk I think I'll be bringing you into the next session, post your own trial and at the point where you are crafting a lightsaber of your own. Therefore you will actually start with a bonus 75xp rather than the 65xp just to represent your own progression during trial (this puts you at the official knight level).

Regarding the masking kit - I believe I had a similar conversation with another player. Unfortunately I can't find the original discussion I had to reference but I believe someone wanted to integrate their hilt into a walking stick. The Masking Kit takes up a hard point and adopts the encumbrance of the item you choose. The hydrospanner is probably arrround about the same size as a standard hilt and the materials for a hydrospanner a pretty common - they are a part of a toolkit but are so common on their own as to be easily obtainable in any reasonable location. I don't think I'd even require a nominal cost in this instance as you could just utilise academy facilities.

However, be aware that you're unlikely to have that training saber for long as you'll be coming in just when you make a real one! So you might want to apply a masking kit to that as it is not academy property.

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 am

Makes sense regarding the Sabre masking kit. I’ll consider the additional XP tomorrow.

When you say “ post your own trial” should I come up with something or are you talking about doing something like what kanila is doing for Rashk?

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:48 am

@crazybirdman @Jesster Do you guys want to go first?

I'm thinking of causing a distraction from behind which hopefully (if it works), will give you two advantages/boosts on your next attacks.

So in an ideal scenerio:

CBM - Attack/Retreat
Jess - Attack/Retreat
Me - Distract
Creature - Turn Around

Back to you guys for enhanced attacks.

What do you think?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Spiritbw wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 am
Makes sense regarding the Sabre masking kit. I’ll consider the additional XP tomorrow.

When you say “ post your own trial” should I come up with something or are you talking about doing something like what kanila is doing for Rashk?
ah, sorry I mean 'post' as in 'after' your own trial takes place. There's no requirement to come up with a trial but equally, we can do so if you would like to. The thing I am doing with Kanila is a bit of an experiment - how does it look to you (out of interest)?

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:26 pm
Spiritbw wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 am

ah, sorry I mean 'post' as in 'after' your own trial takes place. There's no requirement to come up with a trial but equally, we can do so if you would like to. The thing I am doing with Kanila is a bit of an experiment - how does it look to you (out of interest)?
It looks interesting. Seems like a neat idea to build a backstory and one I wouldn’t mind trying myself to be honest.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:25 pm

@Azzranache wouldn't it make more sense for you to try and distract the creature fisrt this round? Then we can attack while it is distracted?

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:37 pm

@crazybirdman I did think that but I figured I can't narrate the actions of the creature. So essentially my distractions won't make a difference to your attacks in the same turn, as the creature doesn't go until last. Once the GM has narrated what the creature does (e.g. spins around), then the enhanced attacks can take place. Hopefully that makes sense?

If that doesn't matter then absolutely, happy to go first!

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:38 pm

I can help in that regard - I can step in and narrate the creature's response to your actions before the others get stuck in.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Per the request of @SanguineAngel this games initiative tracker and destiny point tracker are now available in the IC and OOC threads. Happy Gaming! and Happy Holidays!

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Awesome, I'll kick off this round then!

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:26 pm

swrider wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:45 pm
Per the request of @SanguineAngel this games initiative tracker and destiny point tracker are now available in the IC and OOC threads.
Thanks guys! That helps a ton!

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Azzranache wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:37 pm
I did think that but I figured I can't narrate the actions of the creature. So essentially my distractions won't make a difference to your attacks in the same turn, as the creature doesn't go until last. Once the GM has narrated what the creature does (e.g. spins around), then the enhanced attacks can take place. Hopefully that makes sense?

If that doesn't matter then absolutely, happy to go first!
I may be biased because I don't want my character to die, but YES, please go first :mrgreen:

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:01 pm

That was twisted! I like it! You’ll get along well with Rashk.... until you try to do something like that to him....
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:05 pm

@kanila Thanks! I'll bear that in mind :lol:

Jesster
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by Jesster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:20 pm

So if all of you are distracting it, should I just keep the damage trickling in? Harm doesn't do a whole lot without the medicine upgrade, but it's something at least.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:33 pm

See what @SanguineAngel comes back with first.

If the distraction is good enough and you both get a boost, I'd say just go for it with your saber. @crazybirdman give that Fusion Cutter a try!

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:36 pm

Bwahahaha, that is hilarious @Azzranache

@Jesster yeah I plan to attack, my character isn't a pacifist, fighting is just his last option.
Last edited by crazybirdman on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jesster
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by Jesster » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:38 pm

Are you sure you want me using my lightsaber? I get one whole green die for that.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:46 pm

yeah, maybe just keep using harm, since I'm going to try the fusion cutter.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:58 pm

Jesster wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:38 pm
Are you sure you want me using my lightsaber? I get one whole green die for that.
Hmmm.. guess not. Ok, give it all the harm you got!

Glad you liked it @crazybirdman!

Return to “Discussion”