OOC Session 2: Shadow Peak Mines

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules

Use LS * Use DS * Update

Next * Update * Edit
crazybirdman
Flyboy

Re: OOC Session 2: Shadow Peak Mines

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:43 am

I'm all done, looks like the creature may be the first to attack

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 am

morning all, I apologise for my lakc of activity the past few days - life took a bit of a manic turn. Just going to review and update now.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:12 pm

Nice fear checks @Azzranache & @Jesster.

Bardax will recover 1 stress for the advantage.

Tai could choose between clearing stress or passing Image to @crazybirdman's check. But she has no stress so crazybirdman, you get a boost to your fear check.

While don't you guys tell us IC how you're reacting to seeing this thing? Evidently you two aren't losing your cool!

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:21 pm

So what's the plan?

@Jesster, does Tai have any useful information about the creature she can share?

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:01 pm

I think I will use sense to try to get a little more info on the creature (and maybe help me if it attacks me) unless Tai does something that has my character follow her lead.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Just a heads up but sense will take an action.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Ha! That's what you think. I mean, you are correct though :mrgreen:

Jesster
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by Jesster » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:07 am

Alrighty. Tai is going to use harm on this creature. Other than Force dice, is there any other difficulty you'll want me to roll against?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:16 am

No, there's no skill check required @Jesster just need to roll your force dice and spend a pip to activate the power. As you are still unaligned, using a dark pip will cost you strain and you will gain 1 conflict. I believe you can use either a light side pip or a dark side pip for this power - though the flavour may be differnt. Speaking of which - nice personal touch on the description of use.

Edit: OH, I am sure you already know this based on your description IC but Harm is by default a touch based power so Engaged range. Meaning you'll need to spen a maneuver to get closer. As I say, I think you're already doing that but thought I'd just put in a reminder in case.

Jesster
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by Jesster » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:12 am

Yep, I was narrating myself moving closer for the power since I started in short range and needed to be engaged. The roll gave me 2 white side pips, so that's an easy 4 damage that ignores soak. I still get 1 conflict for using the power. That should end my turn.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:12 pm

What's the difficulty for a lightsaber check against this thing? For future reference, I am still going to use sense

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:37 pm

This creature is large and easy to strike. It is - 1 difficulty to all attack against it. And it suffers +1 to attacks it makes against you as you are small.

So melee, Brawl or Lightsaber attacks are Easy (Image) (adversary)

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Got it, thanks. I've used my turn. Just need @SanguineAngel to let me know what I sensed, and it's Bardax' turn

Spiritbw
Flyboy

Post by Spiritbw » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Hi,so I heard there was still an opening in this game.

I was thinking of a character who was more tech focused. One who looks on their force powers more as another tool in their kit than their go to skill. It's handy and useful, but more an ace up the sleeve.

Looking at the FaD classes it seems Sentinel Artisan would be agood choice with Shadow coming second. Warrior starfighter ace is another possibility if they are more combat oriented than sneaky.

Thinking he comes more from a smuggler/underworld type background? Still working on that bit. Another possibility is he was found though one of the military academies.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:45 am

@crazybirdman I apologise, I'd forgotten you had picked the control for committing the dice and not for reading thoughts:

In this case you have two options
1. You can spend a force pip to read the emotions of the creature or sense all life forms within short range.
2. You can spend action to commit your force dice so upgrade the creature's attacks against you (this is you sensing its emotions continuously to anticipate when it will attack etc.)

Both still require an action.

Commiting a force dice means you remove that force dice from your available pool of force dice whilst it is commited, representing the continued effort of maintaining that effect.

So a player with a Force Rating of 2 who commits 1 force dice to enhance would only be able to roll 1 force dice on any power checks until they stop committing the dice. You have a current Force Rating of 1 so would not be able to use the dice for anything else until you stop committing the dice.

You can use an action to commit a force dice and you can use an incidental at the end of your turn to stop committing a force dice. So you could use this action to instigate this buff and maintain it throughout the entire fight. Or you could stop committing the dice at the end of your next turn for instance.

Given the confusion, I'm willing to let you decide now how you'd prefer to use the sense power this turn - do you want to use the roll you made to sense the creature's emotions? Or do you want to commit the dice to upgrade it's attacks against you?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:10 am

Hi @Spiritbw, welcome to our game!

As I mentioned on my PM we do indeed have an open slot. I realise that the dramatis personae has a few extra character in it who didn't quite stick around so let me give you a brief run down of the current cast of players:

Bardax - Sentinel, Shadow - My read as GM: Something of a rogue. A little mischievous, sneaky, cocky and apparently developing something of devil on his shoulder.
Raven - Mystic, Seer - My read as GM: An outwardly calm zealot. Considerate and slow to reach for a weapon. Ironcast belief in his destiny but this fight may be a defining moment for him in terms of his role.
Tai - Mystic, Alchemist - My read as GM: Amoral, probable sociopath? Her interest in the force is perhaps purely scientific. Acts on cold reason.
Rashk - Warrior, Aggressor - My read as GM: Aggressive with a chip on his shoulder. Smarter than most would assume. Not foolhardy but relishes violence.

Everyone else, feel free to jump in (and correct me if I missed the mark).

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Rashk sounds accurate.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:31 pm

@SanguineAngel ok, that was my bad as I read it wrong. (still learning how force powers work in this game) I want to use the sense power on the beast. I won't upgrade its attack at this time

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 pm

okay, no problem. Is there anything in particular you're wanting to achieve/hoping for with this sense check (before I post)?

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:17 pm

I just want to make sure the creature has it in for us or wants to eat us before I attack. My character would always be looking for a way out of the situation without attacking since fighting is not his strength. I think this will be more useful once I buy the upgrade that lets me know their thoughts, not just their emotions.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Sooo, mechanics wise, what's the difference between a lightsaber, and the fusion cutter (as a weapon)? It seems like, (especially since I don't have an actual lightsaber yet) I should try and use the cutter to attack here

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Okay so you've got:

Training Lightsaber | Lightsaber | Damage (6) | Cit (-) | Range (Engaged) | Encumbrance (1) | Hard Points (5) | Price (400) | Rarity (6) |Special (Stun Damage)
This does Stun Damage (Strain) and doesn't have natty things like breach.

However - Minions and Rivals don't have strain pool. This means they cannot voluntarily take strain (for instance by performing 2 maneuvers AND an action) and that strain damage applies to the their wounds instead.

You also have:

Fusion Cutter | Melee | Damage (5) | Cit (3) | Range (Engaged) | Encumbrance (2) | Hard Points (-) | Price (175) | Rarity (2) |Breach 1, Burn 3, Sunder, Vicious 3

The fusion cutter has breach 1 - so it ignores 1 point of vehicle armour or 10 points of soak. That's passive so it always applies.
The fusion cutter has crit 3, which means it can activate a critical hit with 3 Adv. It also has Vicious 3 which means any crit roll automatically adds +30.
Sunder means that for 1 Adv you can damage equipment and eventually break it.
Lastly, Burn 3 means that for 2 adv you apply (base damage - soak) for 3 rounds (at the start of each round) - Free tip: that might not be terribly useful in this specific instance.

So really, the cutter would be a pretty good option in this instance.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:53 pm

yeah, that's what I was thinking, even though my character is better at the saber skill than melee.

But even if one had a standard saber, why wouldn't they use the fusion cutter (if they had one)? It seems to be a bit better

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:03 pm

crazybirdman wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:53 pm
yeah, that's what I was thinking, even though my character is better at the saber skill than melee.

But even if one had a standard saber, why wouldn't they use the fusion cutter (if they had one)? It seems to be a bit better
Being a tool, it’s not designed to be used as a weapon. As a GM I would use threat to damage it. Basically it would be easier to break because it’s being used for what it’s not designed for.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:20 pm

Yeah that would be good. I could also see a house rule for adding a setback die for all improvised weapons.

Return to “Discussion”