OOC Session 2: Shadow Peak Mines

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules

Use LS * Use DS * Update

Next * Update * Edit
MrTweedy
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Re: OOC Session 2: Shadow Peak Mines

Post by MrTweedy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:08 pm

I still can't get the messenger to work so just wanted to check, am I waiting for an introduction now, or is there anything else I need to do?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:14 pm

Hey @MrTweedy! I sent an email your way to offer up some suggestions on how to get you into the game this morning. Basically yes, just waiting for your intro!

MrTweedy
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by MrTweedy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:38 pm

Unfortunately I don';t think I received that email, and can't send any myself.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:03 am

Ah, frustrating. Buzzing @swrider - any idea why MrTweedy's not able to send private messages or use the email functionality?

Regardless, the text from my email. Now the cat is out of the bag regarding the presence of some sort of creature I think this is safe to post here.
Hi MrTweedy,

I was under the impression I had posted something to you on the board and was waiting for a response, though I see I must not have submitted the post. Realising there's an email user function on the board, this seemed a more appropriate space to discuss your introduction to the campaign.

Thanks for your input regarding your introuction. Whether you wait till the next session of come into this one I'm happy either way. I have some thoughts for both. The squad wipe is a tempting scenario but one I have already used with Sul. So I'll list out some possibilites here and you can let me know if any sound good?

1. You were part of Sul's group. This session
Sul and Rhum were part of a squad who were attacked and seperated. you each presume the other dead.

2. You were sent in alone. This session
I thought it might be interesting to play with the nature of your race in the Empire.

We could have you having been dropped into the mines on your own, rather than with a team, as part of some xenophobic intructor's malicious plan to make life as difficult for you as possible. Consequently you've found yourself in a dire situation, life in deep peril.

3. You were part of a seperate trial. Next session - on return to the academy.
Your trial was altogether different from the others. Perhaps it took place elsewhere, perhaps it took place off-world.

We would introduce you at the start of the next session, once everyone has returned to the academy and is set about construction of their lightsabers.

If you choose to start this session, I have a couple of ideas for introducing you to the session.

a. Found on your own (Start immediately)

We introduce you alone, in an animal's layer just as animals all slope out. Perhaps you were playing dead, or perhaps you were unconcious. For some reason, they have not yet eaten you - too full from their last meal! You now have the chance to escape the lair and find a crystal!

We could come to you at any point, now that the mystery clock has activated! I will simply cut to your character as the last of the creatures slips into the shadows, giving you the opportunity to slip out (and as a player hopefully meet the others quickly!)

b. The group find you (Delayed start)

I could cut to you in the midst of a fight with one of the creatures down in the depths. For this, I'd need to pick a suitable scene to inject the fight - I think once the others are down the bottom of the big km long shaft would be suitable OR if they seek out the monsters in the dark on this level, they could find you there.

In either case, that would involve waiting for the right moment.

What do you think? I am obviously open to other ideas if these don't suit.

Thanks!
SanguineAngel

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:17 pm

He should have pm privlidges. But may have never used them and simply missed the message. If you go it your messages folder you will the the message in your outbox. If it is not there look in your sent messages. I f it is not in either it did not send. I did have one not go through wiylth the server issues the past few days.

As for email. This account was previously suspended for "spam" emails. As such I disabled all email functionality at both the board and server level. If you click email user a new screen will pop up with their email in the url window. You can email them with that from your private account.

I'll look into mrtweedys pm issue.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:35 pm

my characters nature is to avoid conflict (not that he is afraid mind you :mr green:) but he will stand and fight with Bardax if that's what you want to do.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:54 am

Hi guys,

Looks like MrTweedy is changing jobs and decided to pull out of the boards here for the time being, unfortunately. He'll be welcome back, of course, if he finds he has more time but I say we get cracking on the assumption that he won't be joining us in the foreseeable future.

It's taken me a shamefully long time to wend LaGouche into your path but you are super close to each other now! Lets get this show on the road!

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:26 pm

no problem, I love the suspense of it all!

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:02 pm

wonderful to hear! Would you like to try for the Education check also? You can do it here if you like.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:49 pm

eh, what the heck . . .
Spoiler:
Raven; Dark Academy; Knowledge: Education:
2 Failures, 0 Advantage
ImageImageImageImage
OOC: Yup, that looks about right for Raven . . .
So how does a chase work?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:12 am

Aha, well not to worry about that perception check, I'm sure it wasn't anything important! :twisted:

Chases are pretty straight forward. They are essentially a series of Competative checks with the goal of moving range bands.

A Competative check is one in which all parties roll against a common (usually the same) difficulty skill check. The most successful wins. A bit like an initiative roll but with difficulty dice.

Each "round", each participant takes part in a Competative check. Those checks are contextual. The default would be an Average Athletics check to see who can run the fastest (or Piloting if using vehicles). However, you may face an obstacle requiring a different type or difficulty of check, such as a wall to climb, a crowd to slip through or a maze to navigate.

The winner will usually either close the distance or open the distance by 1 range band. The Chase ends when you are engaged, at extreme range, or pursuit is othwerwise no longer feasable.

In addition to the assumed maneuver, you can also use your action as you normally would in pretty much any way imaginable. You could try to lock a door, incite a crowd, remove an obstacle, create an obstacle, perform an attack. You can also spend strain or your action for a 2nd maneuver (but this would not allow you to move more than 1 range band). Doing so could mean boost or setback for yourselves or the oppoents, or a change the required check entirely for all or some participants.

Hopefully that's pretty clear. happy to answer any questions but otherwise, we can dive right in. I'll post on the IC thread a little later to kick it off.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:46 pm

@SanguineAngel Ok, my plan is to run in past the first open door and then press the door mechanism panel to close the door once Raven is inside too.

Are you able to confirm if there is a panel to close the door?

I only ask as it would not make sense for me to narrate that if one doesnt exist?

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:58 pm

Same here, except I want to run and then open the second door. Can the creature fit through the doors?

So would it be round one, we each run then the creature runs. Then round two we use an action to try and operate the doors?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:05 pm

The doors are physical swing doors without locks. You need only push it to close it.

If you close the first door then open the second in that order as you have just described, it will be a maneuver for each. No additional check required.

The passage is large enough for the creature to pass, and the doors take up the entire width of the passage, so it could fit through also.

@crazybirdman you can do all of this round one. You run (Athletics check) as your maneuver and operate the doors as your 2nd maneuver (trading action for maneuver presumably). Whether you close the door BEFORE the creature reaches it may depend on the competitive check!

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Sounds like even if we close the doors, the beast can just break though. So I guess let's get to the doors and see what happens

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:28 pm

I'll roll the athletics check and edit it into my post, so you can compare directly to it if that helps. I've not really run this on the boards so it's a bit of an experiment!

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:48 pm

Well, we are definitely running,so I'll post an althetics check for my character

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:19 pm

question one: So does a failure here mean I don't move at all, or that I don't move away from the beast?

question two: What would the stats be on this fusion cutter if I tried to use it as a weapon? Ya know, hypothetically speaking :mrgreen:

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:13 am

Morning crazybird - some valid questions.

Failure is relative in a competative check. In a chase, the result is to determine if the pursuer can catch up or loses ground. If you fail and the pursuer succeeds, they get one band closer. If they fail and you succeed they drop back one band. If you both succeed then the result favours the most successful (using advantage and triumph and a tie break). If everyone fails, the distance between you remains the same.

Advantage, Threat, Dispair, and Triumph can all be spent for narrative flair and mechanical adjustments as normal.

Also, I forgot this when I was typing up the rules previously - we begin each round with the competative check to determine new positioning but take turns in normal order. In actuality, the chase doesn't use up a maneuver - this is out of turn so that was my mistake. Means you can move around within that turn a little more. For the pruposes of this chase, I am assuming you two have 1st and 2nd initiative slots.

1. You can still move as you are assumed to always be on the move in a chase - it simply means you don't move further away from the creature. It remains at medium distance to you. @Azzranache may pull ahead first depending on his roll.

2. Fusion Cutter | Melee | Damage (5) | Cit (3) | Range (Engaged) | Encumbrance (2) | Hard Points (-) | Price (175) | Rarity (2) |Breach 1, Burn 3, Sunder, Vicious 3

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:43 pm

@SanguineAngel Does it take anything special to open the second doors? Are they lockable? Do I need to roll a perception check to see? If so what is the difficulty?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:00 pm

They are not lockable and they do not require anything in particular to open. Initially, the 2nd door seemed stuck - requiring some effort to open. Now that the first door is closed, the 2nd is much easier to open, feather light.

This is some sort air pressure equaliser. One door should be closed for the other to open easily.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Okay, then I would like to use foresee to attempt to see whats on the other side of the door and then, maybe, open the door with my maneuver.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:34 pm

That is so cool, just trying to unpack it all. So is there an actual drop after going through the doorway? I only ask, because I want to try and have the beast go over it Looney Toons style :mrgreen:
And I'm assuming that the glowing eyes aren't this beasts or Sul's?
Last, do I not take the 2 strain for the force check I just made?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:43 am

hah I am very pleased to hear that :)

The glowing eyes are indeed something else. I should also note, it's clear that there's nothing dangerous on the other side of the door, so if you want to take your maneuver I'll take the creature's turn.

You do not take any strain for using Dark Pips this deep in the mines.

Hey @LaGouache, it's been a while since your last post - are you still with us? If you're unsuer about what to do, let me know. I think you had said you wanted to spend a DP to find a power generator (really good idea) so I was somewhat expecting that to be your next IC post.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 am

As it was in IC, I'll assume that Raven tells Bardax what he saw.

Once Raven opens the second door does that end the chase mechanic as from what you've said @SanguineAngel, it appears the creature won't have much chance of getting through?

We should hopefully then have "a fairly straight run" to Sul and then to the main shaft down to the circular chamber!

Return to “Discussion”