OOC Session 01: One Last Lesson

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules

Use LS * Use DS * Update

Next * Update * Edit
crazybirdman
Flyboy

Re: OOC Session 01: One Last Lesson

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:13 pm

just for fun, what would be the check to identify what animal these feathers come from?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:28 pm

oh, lovely. That's a little up to you. It could be an Average (PP) Survival or Education Check (Education because contextually your schooling has been here on this planet), alternatively it could be a Hard (PPP) Knowledge (Outer Rim) Check. Looking at your sheet, I'd imagine you might go with Survival

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:26 pm

hey guys, sorry for the delay in my post - quite a hectic weekend and week so far!

@crazybirdman don't sweat the lack of success - you got 4 Advantages which is a lot! That's practically a triumph level of advantage!

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:39 pm

haha, yeah but for what? I'm having trouble thinking of something that is narratively cool, mush less useful. I was thinking my character only remembers that the feather can attract another creature we want (maybe to eat) or repels something we don't want? But I don't want to make more work for the GM.

As for the fork, based on my roll history, I vote for the long path. Unless we can flip a Destiny point to make the shortcut easier.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:26 am

Remember Raven's vision back at the hole with the droids @crazybirdman?

Two ways of looking at this:

1) Raven's vision was showing we are meant to go this way.
2) Raven's vision was warning us not to go this way.

I like the idea of the feathers have a secondary use.

And I wouldn't worry about creating extra work for the GM :lol:

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:27 am

Oh yes, don't worry about outlandish suggestions or something that'll create work for me. We can reasonably accomodate most things as long as they fit the narrative in general. The system's designed for flexibility and I'm pretty open and happy to accomodate things you particularly want. As it stands, I hope I gave you quite a lot of information about the markers themselves - I think being able to recognise the significance of the markings on them is probably pretty good.

@Azzranache - Good recall!

"It begins as you might expect; a clear vision of you descending into the dark, the blue flashes of stun fire streaking past you from above. Suddenly, nauseous and dizzy, your perspective changes; the clear vision of your descent warping and twisting. You feel cold, exhaustion and sense of elsewhere. In a flash of clarity you see yourself and your fellow students clinging to a rock face as you are battered by wind and rain. Just as quickly the clarity of vision slips away and you experience an overwhelming feeling of choking heat and of terror. It is with that emotion in your chest that you return to the present. Sweat drenches your brow."

@crazybirdman what's your gut instinct with the vision? The two routes will present different challenges but I suppose a good indication of which route you should take would be your interpretation of your earlier vision.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:35 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:27 am
@crazybirdman what's your gut instinct with the vision?
Uh, don't do it. :mr green: Note the terms: 'clinging', 'battered', chocking', and 'terror'. I'm okay taking the long way to avoid those things.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Maybe it was a vision of both paths?

One path is the windy and rainy rock face and the other path could lead to the choking heat and feeling of terror?

I'm up for whatever so happy for you to choose. Or we can always roll to decide? ;)

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Haha, I'm fine either way. I mean, my character couldn't cross a bridge, so either route is probably just as dangerous for him.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Okay! Sounds like a decision has been reached. I don't think we'll see much of Davakosh so let's play on. @crazybirdman, why don't you narrate the decision to take the route you chose, since you had the vision.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:46 pm

do we want to try to make camp somewhere, or break out your glow sticks?

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:17 am

I don't think we have glow sticks?

Our training sabers emit a kind of glow we could use.

I say we use these and push on!

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:33 am

I can confirm, your sabers will provide some illumination, a ghostly blue light given the surroundings

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:41 am

Do our characters know:
1 how far up the mountain we are?
2 how far we are from the abandoned mine?
3 where we need to go to mine crystals?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:45 am

Excellent questions!

1. It's never easy to tell exactly but you've been walking, scrambling and climbing for 6 hours and you'd estimate yourselves to be around half way up. (sorry my pic didn't do the scale justice!).
2. It can't be far now. The abandoned mine that Vidarr Hoss pointed out to you was nestled in the saddle of the mountain just over halfway up.
3. You do not know where to find the crystal, nor do you have any idea of the mine layout at all. Don't forget that Hoss reminded you to gather Intel l before rushing in.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:06 pm

I went ahead and rolled since I have a couple of benefits to my vigilance checks. Let me know what happens and if I need add anything narratively

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Nice! Man, you should be shouting about it - not just a heck of a roll but great use of unique talents. I'll update with what you notice a bit later

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:41 pm

SanguineAngel wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 pm
Nice! Man, you should be shouting about it - not just a heck of a roll but great use of unique talents.
Hey, it's my 1st success, I'm trying to play it cool . . . :D

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:43 am

Grats!

I too had electrobinoculars to remove the setback but agree you were definitely better equipped for this roll :lol:

Great result.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:04 pm

If I use the Sense power, does tell me if something is animal or sentient? Or just let me know that something living is nearby?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 am

Hey @crazybirdman, I think I remember this discussion from before but I'd rule that yes, you'd have some idea of the nature of the lifeforms you are detecting (so you would disregard the background noise of insects, for example) but you might not be able to finely distinguish between a higher thinking creature (like a dog?) and a person with the initial power.

I think for that, you'd need to upgrade the range (currently at Engaged) on reading Emotions (the basic power: complex emotional states might indicate sentience but base emotions might not be distinguishable) or Thoughts (Control upgrade: easily able to tell if sentient).

Sense, at present, would allow you to sense how many similar life forms are present in short range and if you get close enough, to sense their emotions.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Ok, I may roll sense then, just to get an idea of how many 'things' we are dealing with here

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Hey guys, sorry it's been quiet - I have been a touch busy this last week! @Azzranache asked if I could provide a map to clarify the mining compound a little. Again, time constrains mean it's a little rough, so I won't put it in the main thread. But hopefully this will help get the lay of the land:

Let me know if you have any questions. And @crazybirdman - do you want to use the dark pips on that sense?

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:49 pm

I think I'll pass on using the dark pips, but can I use a perception check to try and get a better look at one of the creatures?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Sure can, though it will depend on your approach as to whether a check is required and what it is. From where you are, you can't see anything. You would certainly need to move to a better vantage point - although they are hiding, there was the one that was moving around the nearest building that may be visible.
  • If you want to move to a spot where you can see the nearby building more clearly and wait for sign of movement from the lifeform then that will be a perception check. This would largely be to determine how long you take to get a clearer look.
  • It is still very dark, though you have your lightsaber lit which provides you with some light in the short range and makes you quite visible. If you want to try and spy the nearby lifeform without being seen, this might be a stealth check, rather than a perception (as you try to sneak into a position to see it)
  • If you want to just walk up to it for a look, you wouldn't need a check for that.
  • You might have another plan, just let me know

Return to “Discussion”