The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
Forum rules

Use LS * Use DS * Update

Next * Update * Edit
crazybirdman
Flyboy

Re: IC Session 02: Shadow Peak Mines

Post by crazybirdman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:52 am

Raven nervously ask, "Sister Tai, any chance you can enlighten us as to who or what else is in here with us?"

Jesster
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by Jesster » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:03 am

Tai does not respond to Raven's question. She looks a bit disappointed that the test subjects are coming to the test observer for help.

It is also risky to make too much noise, movement, or light. One little hint will ruin some of the data, but it can't be helped if they are going to involve me too much. Maybe it is time to join in on the test.

Tai slowly and meticulously raises a long finger up to her lips and makes a hushing sign. Her large eyes begin scanning across the cave's dense shadows around her.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:47 pm

{Jesster, please give me an Average (ImageImage) Perception Check with Image due to your study.}

Jesster

Post by Jesster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Tai raises her finger and points into the darkness as her eyes focus on the being she has been studying.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:33 am

Bardax watches as Tai points in another direction. He scans across the darkness with his binoculars until he fixes on... something.

His jokey smirk starts to fade as he observes this mystery monster. His teeth clench and he his body becomes rigid as the roar of the creature lingers in his ears.

"So... this can't be good.." he mumbles back to Raven and Sul.

But we can't hang around in here all day Bardax thinks to himself.

He goes to move out of the lift and as he does so he reaches for One-Foot's arm to bring him along too.
Spoiler:
OOC: GM to advise on Coercion check.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:54 am

Tai Saifa
The cavern is still not entirely silent. The laboured breathing of the injured creature on the lift and the hum of the generator are uncomfortably noticable. The subject reacts to noise but more so to light. Sul has closed down his Lightsabre at your prompting but Raven's torch and blade are both still lit.

You have been observing this creature for long enough now that you think you have a feel for it's likely behaviour but there are still some unknown parameters.

The creature is large. Significantly larger than the beasts that attacked your party further up the mine. It's unclear whether it is amphibious - you have not heard it enter or leave the water - but it has regularly retreated, either beneath the water or into another part of the cavern.

Only small noises you have become accustomed to listening for give away it's location now, as it climbs around the sheer precipice of the plateu. First towards the front, beneath the lift, then right and left. Circling its prey, it will act any moment. With luck it will be attracted to these distractions first.

Then Bardax starts moving...

Bardax
Bardax, you see motion at the edge of the plateau through your binoculars but only catch a glimpse of serpentine tail disappearing below the edge. As you grab One-Foot as start pulling the lift shifts under your feet and makes a hideous groaning sound. One-Foot scrapes along the metal grating with a steady clanging before you reach the edge of the lift.

{OOC: I've used Bardax's actions here as Tai's threat - the creature will react to this almost immediately so please could I ask you all to roll Cool or Vigilance initiative.}
Spoiler:

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:25 am

Spoiler:
Bardax; Dark Academy; Vigilance Initiative :
2 Successes, 2 Advantages

ImageImage

OOC: Oooo, by the skin of my teeth haha!

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:48 pm

Raven steadies himself to prepare for whatever is about to happen.
Spoiler:
Raven; Dark Academy; Cool + Forsee for initiative:
2 Successes, 4 Advantages, 1 Light Side

ImageImageImageImageImage
OOC: If I understand forsee correctly, I'm going to use that force point to give Bardax & Raven +2 defense for the 1st round of combat, instead of taking another success on the initiative roll.

Jesster

Post by Jesster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:22 am

Spoiler:

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:59 pm

It's dark and the creature is circling. But joking aside, each of you reacts with the cool professionalism that comes with years of training. You are all ready to act.

The creature is at medium distance from you all, you can tell roughly where by the sound of movement but as it is clinging to the rock face it is currently out of site.

Raven, Bardax (& Sul) are on or near the lift and at short distance to the nearest edge of the plateau. The generator is also short distance from the three of you. Bardax currently has his hands full with One-Foot. As far as I know, raven is brandishing his sabre and the torch. Sul just his sabre.

Tai, more cautious, is at medium distance from the edge. No weapons drawn currently.

{You all three get to act first so you effectively have a round to prepare. If you have any queries about the set up, ask me over in OOC.

Good luck everyone!}

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:22 pm

Raven speaks only as loud as he has to for Tai to hear: "Sister Tai, do you know any way we can hurt this creature, or draw it out to us? That is assuming you are part of the trial, and not here only to observe it"

Jesster

Post by Jesster » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Tai nods to Raven and takes out her training lightsaber. With a flick of a finger across its activation switch, the bright red energy of its saber extends out and lights up her immediate area like a beacon in the sea of darkness.

"While this predator has proven difficult to observe, it will be able to find us quite easily," Tai responds in a drifting legato tone. "Especially with these silly toys they've given us. If you really want to bring harm to this creature, draw it to me. I will prepare it for a proper examination and biopsy."

Tai approaches the edge of the plateau and holds her training saber up to draw in the creature's attention.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:11 pm

Raven walks towards the edge of the plateau and waves his light around erratically, waiting to see what how the creature reacts.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:07 am

Bardax lays low and stays quiet with a firm grip on One-Foot. He keeps very still watching and listening to his team.

After Tai explains her plan, he watches her ignite her saber in an attemt to draw out the creature. Despite this, Bardax is then slightly confused but amused at Raven joining in with brandishing his saber.

What is he..? Heh, good for him. A little chaos never hurt. No! He could get hurt.. That wouldn't help me. Hmmm.. Maybe I should? No! Stay put. Let's see how this plays out..

Bardax's face twitches as he continues with argue with the voices in his head.

With that, he carefully exits the lift and heads into the darkness away from his illuminated colleagues, keeping his hold on a very weak One-Foot.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Another roar nearly defeans you all. Those of you near the edge of the plateau are washed with a warm breeze from directly beneath you. The smell is of sweet decay. By the glow of your weapons, you see a massive, sinuous movement and then it is on you. The creature sprints up the side of the plateau and leaps into the air above you, landing with enough force to shake the ground beneath your feet.

The monster lands with its forepores spread wide, it's head low. It huffs more warm air through large nostrils. The creature is half visible in the light you cast, and clearly related somehow to the beasts in the mines above. But this creature is much bigger - perhaps 8 feet at the shoulder. Tai, you would guess it to be 20 foot in legnth.

The creature is like a distorted mockery of the creatures above. It's head is elongated, the horns smaller, stubbier but they look razor sharp. It is still broad across the shoulders but it looks lithe, it's body slimmer and longer. The blue glow of your sabres glints off of large scales and dozens of scars are visible on its head and body. Colour is almost impossible to discern with only the blue light but it looks dark skinned. It observes you with yellow, cunning eyes.

Now it is visbile, you must each take an Average (ImageImage) Discipline Check to combat the fear this creature inspires.

Raven, you feel the force rippling around this creature. A dark power coursing from it.

Sul has remained in the lift. If you glance his way, you'll spot the fear evident in his eyes. Tai might understand this as related to the devastation of the earlier attack your original group suffered.

{Maneuver 1: The creature moves (leaps spectacularly) to short range Raven & Tai.}

{OOC: As I understand it, Tai spent 2 maneuvers to light her saber and start attracting attention. Raven did the same. Bardax has spent a maneuver to move away from the others (short to medium), dragging one-foot with him.

Once you have taken your fear tests, we'll be on the next round.

The creature is now at short range to Tai, Raven and the lift. Bardax is at medium from all.

I've put together a crude map. As with any map I present, remember that it is only a general map and the fine detail is up to you guys if you want to invent details with DP I am all for that.}

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Spoiler:

Jesster

Post by Jesster » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Spoiler:
Tai Saifa; Dark Academy; Fear Test:
1 Success, 1 Advantage

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:16 pm

Spoiler:
Raven; Dark Academy; Discipline fear check:
2 Successes, 2 Threats

ImageImageImageImageImage

OOC i can take strain, or say that my gasp drew the creature attention
Upon the creature presenting itself, Raven is able to hold onto his saber, but not able to hold back an audible gasp.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:48 am

You each face the creature's horrifing appearance in your own way. Raven, you hold your nerve. {No setback for anyone! Just 2 Strain for Raven. I have update the status tracker.}

The creature pauses in front of you, studying you. Raven, Bardax; though neither of you have sought out the creature's mind; in seeing it you sense a depth of age and wellspring of thought. Though not quite sentient it is clearly sophisticated.

{We return to the top of the turn. the turn order is PC, PC, PC, Enemy. Sul is paralysed with fear at present. Please make sure to not your maneuvers, actions, incidentals if you can please.}

Jesster

Post by Jesster » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:10 am

Tai closes her eyes as the roar rumbles through her. When the shaking stops and silence rushes back in to drown it out, she opens her eyes again to stare back at the beast unphased. Instead of fleeing for her life, Tai pushes forward with her free hand extended. A red glow proceeds her as she focuses her will on the destruction of the large creature.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Raven senses that something may be amiss and he just wants to be sure before an all out assault on the beast. He moves in to sense the creatures emotions, after that the force will guide his actions...
Spoiler:
Raven; Dark Academy; Sense:
, 2 Light Side
OOC so if I understand this right I'll use one pip to sense its emotions, and the other to upgrade its attack against me.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Probing the creature's mind you sense animal emotions. Difficult to completely translate in your mind, you feel a desolate hunger, a surprising caution quickly hidden and replaced with a keen intent.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:21 am

Raven says, "Well done sister Tai, but I fear that may not be enough. Especially given that our 'silly toys' can only stun the beast. Perhaps we can trap or otherwise contain it? "

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Staying calm and quiet, Bardax continued to lay low while the others confront the beast.

Manoeuvre: Taking an eye to his binoculars, Bardax backs himself and One-Foot to the edge to get the best view possible of the surroundngs (keeping at Medium Range).

Action: He scans the area to see what else is around them (Perception Check). Perhaps there is something nearby they could use (e.g. weak structure, pot holes, old machinery)?

Spoiler:

Even with the binocular's low light assitance, Bardax found it difficult to make anything out around them.

Should I stay and help? Maybe..? What if I can find something around here to trap it? There could be more of these things. No, no. Let's see how these guys do.

Bardax continues to watch.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Tai, the creature rears in alarm at the pain you inflict upon it, letting our a cry and hunching back. Raven's hesitation costs him dearly, however, as the creature seizes upon his inaction.

Maneuver: Raven, no sooner have the words left your mouth than the creature is upon you. Move from Short to Engaged with Raven. Tai remains at Engaged.

Action: A glancing body blow (Brawl Attack) forces you back. Instinct keeps you on your feet but your head is spinning from the impact, disoriented.

Action: Brawl Attack Raven takes 5 wounds (8 wounds - 3 Soak) and is disoriented for 1 round (2 Advantage) - meaning any skill check suffers Image.

Behind, unseen, and observing from the pitch black, Bardax retrieves his binoculars and scans the cavern. Taking the time now to look, you realise that the size of the cavern is immense. The ceiling above is hundreds of meters, the far side of the cavern likewise. The interior walls are rugged, uneven, and natural looking but startlingly, the cavern appears to be perfectly spherical. A great ball hundreds of meters across. The platform you are on is a lonely outcropping of rock that gradually shrinks to a narrow path as it approaches the wall of the cavern. It looks as though the path branches near the end - one fork leading to a small opening in the wall and the other slopling down toward the cavern floor.

Glancing over the sides of this plateau there is a lake of sorts, dozens or hundreds of meters below. The water's surface broken here and there by shallow rocky platforms Little islands in a little sea... on the far side of the cavern at just about water level is a huge, ragged tear in the wall - an opening caused by some sort of collapse, perhaps.

Unfortunately, there is nothing new that you spot to use as any form of trap. The only features within easily reachable distance are this platform, the dodgy lift platform on which are Sul and the power generator. One-Foot rasps beside you in a state of unconciousness.

Status Tracker

Return to “The Story”