The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
Forum rules

Use LS * Use DS * Update

Next * Update * Edit
Azzranache
Scoundrel

Re: IC Session 02: Shadow Peak Mines

Post by Azzranache » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:39 am

Something snaps Bardax out of his own inner discussion. His body feels an odd pulling sensation as if a mild magnetic wave is calling to him.

He shakes off his inner voices and looks round. The feeling is coming from Raven in his meditative state and Bardax raises his eyebrows. Intrigued, he starts to make his way over to Raven for a closer look. He stops about 6ft away and stares blankly. He chuckles to himself as he finds it slightly amusing yet comforting.

Looking around, now in a much more aware state, he spots Tai fiddling with something and the weird rodent creature occasionally making odd signals to try and catch their attention. Bardax chooses to ignore the rodent (it reminds him too much of that one-footed creature) and head over to Tai.

"So, what now? That thing have any bright ideas on where we can find these crystals?" he jests at Tai.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:16 pm

An hour passes.

-----------------------------------------

Raven, you turn your mind's eye inward and open yourself to the world around you. You are almost overwhelmed by the tide of emotion that churns within this place. You are unbalanced, adrift admist waves and swells of love, anguish, regret. But eventually you are able to anchor and steady yourself.

There is no light here, every feature is devoid of colour but you can 'see' clearly. Beneath the oceanic emtion is a lifeless rocky surface - somehow both a perfect flat plain and the very substance of the undulating mountains themselves. And spread over the whole thing, an endless network of pulsating lifelines connecting every living thing. Tai would see a network of nerve endings but to you, it is like a vast system of roots. This is at once familiar to you - as you have observed such life force frequently but not with such clarity. Nearby, three tendrils slow and stutter and become still but you pay them no heed.

One lifeline tendril draws your attention, pulsating with a srength unmatched by those around it. Calm but with untapped power. You trace it back until it buries itself into the rocky surface. You can follow it no further than this.

-----------------------------------------

When you open your eyes you can still feel that lifeline, you can still follow where it leads. You know without doubt that at it's source you will find that which you seek.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Chibiithii understanding that the giants do not comprehend his language or his gestures stands with his pike at his side observing them. If they will not be lead to safety then he will have to protect them here. The fear of this cave dissipates as he has time to observe and realizes the creature has fallen. Momentary grief at the loss of his brother passes, with a feeling of pride at how his brother died. Finally anger sets in. Anger that his last connection to this planet is now gone. Anger that it was his error which caused his brother too loose his foot and for himself being cast out. Anger which seems to sweet from the cave itself. Anger which fuels Chibiithii making him ready for the next fight and anxious to move forward. With little to do but watch the anger and power continues to build. After nearly an hour passes Chibiithii can feel the power proceeds from him into his pike. As if by its own will the pike engages a beam unlike those previous erupts from the end. The crackling and power are reminiscent of the saber Chibiithii once held. Entranced by the power he now feels within the weapon, Chibithii tests it on nearby rubble easily destroying everything the weapon touches. At some point during his marvels the giants had once again began moving. Chibiithii wondered if they were responsible for this sudden burst of power.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:35 pm

Raven slowly ends his meditation,opens his eyes and stands up. As he brushes the dust off of his clothes he announces, "I believe that I know where we need to go next. Whenever we are all done here, I can lead the way."

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Bardax turns his head slightly as he hears Raven awake from his trance. He opens his mouth to respond but before the words can come out, a bright light illuminates in the darkness across the way followed by the sound of a lightsaber blade hitting the floor.

"HOLY BANTHA!" he yelps in a startling manner as he catches a view of the new rodent creature brandishing a fully operational lightpike.

Bardax jumps slightly and quickly looks around to see if anyone saw him lose his nerve.

He cooly shakes his shoulders and continues with his exclamation of awe.

"How the..? The little.. thing, has an actual lightsaber-pike-type-thing. What in the..? Are you all seeing this?"

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:41 am

Screen Wipe

The three of you; Raven, Tai, and Bardax proceed in procession for 15 minutes or so through the lower level passage ways. The walls here are once more natural rock, rather than the smoothly fashioned corridors of the levels above. seemingly randomly, the passages open up in width or height. Several times you stumble over rail tracks half buried in the sediment. Scaffolding still stands in some places to provide access to higher rock faces. This was an active mine when it was abandoned.

Eventually, Raven leads you down a narrow passage at the end of the network, where you are forced to breathe in or clamber over rocks to get past. Everywher you can see deep gouges or runnels where veins of something have been extracted. Finally you reach the end where a narrow fissure is just accessible beyond a minor rockfall. Inside, something glints in the light of your torches or lightsabers. Kyber crystal, there in the rock's surface.

Raven has led you directly to the source but now you all feel it... something personal to each of you perhaps but a pull of some kind towards that crystal. It's not clear how far back the fissure truly goes but only a few feet are visible or in any way accessible and the crystal runs in a narrow path on one side. There is enough here for everyone but there is not much at all.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Raven uses his tool for its intended purpose for a change, and gets himself a suitable crystal, before offering the tool to the rest his team to gather a crystal of their own choosing.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:07 pm

After Raven finishes extracting a crystal, Bardax barges past Tai to get his next. His eyes widen as he feels that familiar pull drawing him in. Calling to him.

He wastes no time picking out a particular crystal and mines it from the rock in front of them. The tool performs aqeduately and the crystal comes away easily. He drops the tool at his feet.

Bardax holds the crystal out in his hand, turns it slowly and admires it in the dim light. He flicks it up in the air before catching it in a cocky, showman type way before placing it safely away in his bag.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Chibiithii who has been following along after the giants, was grateful when their path lead to a dead end. As he observes the giants mine the shinny crystals he is overcome with amusement. Didn't they know about the many crates full of those things back at the mansion?
Spoiler:
@SanguineAngel I can remove that last line if you want. I just thought it would be funny.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:42 pm

{@swrider More than happy to let it stand as a humourous aside. Had me giggling.}

Jesster
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by Jesster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Tai takes out her datapad and observes the others and their reactions as they pick out their crystals. "Interesting. Such eagerness. How does it make you feel? Oh, what am I saying? I've already involved myself in this experiment. There is no control any longer." Tai closes her notes on her datapad and steps forward to pick up a crystal. As she holds it up in front of her eye for close observation, she sighs. "It's a shame these will be used in those laser weapons. I'd love to see what else they could do."

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 am

Bardax watches Tai take her crystal, all the while keeping his hand pressed firmly against his bag where his lies, as if checking it is still there.

"Now, now. I'm sure we can use these to find you even more subjects to sadistically disect" he jests back at Tai with the usual brazen smirk.

Bardax looks around at the group.

"Well, I think that's every.. one..." he comes to halt midway through his sentence.

"Hang on. Where's Sul?

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Raven inquires "Was he not devoured by the beast?"

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:41 am

Raven, Bardax, and Tai, you each take a roughly hewn crystal fragment. It is unclear to any of you when or how, exactly, Sul disappeared. Whether you even noticed until now, one of your number is missing. Sul's diappearance may (or may not) sour the mood for you but stand here, in the cold and the dark, holding the fruits of your labour in your bruised and battered hands. You trial is complete, save an arduous ascent out of this place.

From the darkness, Chibiithii watches and awaits an opportunity.

End of Session 02

Recover all Strain

Roll for conflict
Bardax - 14 Conflict
Tai - 4 Conflict
Raven - No need to roll
Chibiithii - No need to roll

{Roll 1d10 and subtract your accrued conflict. The result is the amount your morality goes up (positive result) or down (negative result).}

Recovery
Raven will receive immediate medical care and spend 14 hours in the bacta tank on his return to the Academy (Bringing wounds back down to 0). Please roll an Average (ImageImage) Resiliance Check to attempt healing critical injury during recover).

Experience points earned

Drall Mansion:
Overcome One-Foot's challenge (nicely inventive) - 1 XP
Recovered the Key Card for the computer terminal - 1 XP
Study the map for the mines - 1 XP

Shadow Peak Mines:
Navigate the upper levels - 2 XP
Restore power to the main elevator - 1 XP
Escaped the young creature - 2 XP
Defeated the Ancient Creature - 3 XP
Obtain Crystals - 1 XP

RP Bonus - 1 XP

Total - 13 XP

@Azzranache 13 XP
@crazybirdman 13 XP
@Jesster 5 XP
@swrider 5 XP

{Usually I would award XP as a group but as the two newer players joined during only the final part, it seems fair to award based on that portion of the session.}

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Sounds good. @SanguineAngel I know what I want to spend the xp on the enhance force power tree. I can do so with a mentor benefit, but do not know if Chibiithii would qualify for such a benefit at this time.

Return to “The Story”