The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
Forum rules

Use LS * Use DS * Update

Next * Update * Edit
SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Re: IC Session 01: One Last Lesson

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Bardax, just beyond the bridgehead, you spy a battered old chest half buried in the thorny scrub bush. Clearly, this chest has seen better days; a rusted metal box with a pattern of metalwork strips presumably used to hold a material covering such as leather that has long since rotted away. In corners of the metalwork, the corroded metal has worn through entirely.

Inside the box, you see a number of primitive tools - axes, chissels and such. Some are apparently made of wood and stone whilst others rough pieces of scrap metal. Picking one up, it falls apart as you move it. Wood crumbles and attaching twine disintegrates. These tools have been here for many years but they seem incongruous with the box large, perhaps once ornate, metal box they are stored in.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Raven scrambles back off the bridge, visibly shaken by failing in what he thought would be and easy task.
Spoiler:
Raven; Dark Academy; Discipline: Fear check:
1 Failure, 1 Advantage, 1 Triumph,

ImageImageImageImage
OOC: Failure streak going strong :oops: can I use the triumph to say he has learned a lesson, and doesn't have to roll any more fear checks this encounter?
When safely off the bridge he contemplates what just happened. He was afraid of falling, then afraid of what Hoss would say and last afraid he had failed, and then that fear immediately turns to anger. In his anger he thinks to himself "No, the Force chose me for this, and if will not use me to do its will, I will bend it to mine."
He remembers where he is and composes himself and simply says to his allies, "Perhaps the Force has much more to teach me." While resolving to himself not to let his fear get the better of him so easily.
Last edited by crazybirdman on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Raven, you are really affected by your near miss here, your confidence is knocked. [suffer [setback] to any check during this encounter]

However, Vidarr Hoss has taught you to master your fear and feed upon it.

[Gain [boost] on next check. You need not take any other fear check for the remainder of this this session.]

(OOC: I think this might be perfectly in line with your training but I don't wish to speak for your character, so why don't you describe for us how you master or use your fear to gain the bonus of not requiring another check this session?)

Davakosh
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by Davakosh » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:22 pm

Merton does his best to set up a guide rope and then turns to his companions...

"Don't worryjust use the same boards as me and do your best not lean on the rails too much"
Spoiler:
OOC: what do I get for 3 sucess and a triumph?

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:17 pm

With some trepidation, Raven takes another attempt to cross the rickety bridge:
Spoiler:
Raven; Dark Academy; Coordination: cross rope bridge (Take 2):
1 Failure, 4 Advantages
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
OOC: Yup, seems about right for my character :cry:

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Bardax follows up the rear with caution, still with Raven's first attempt still replaying in his mind.

He pulls out his carabiner and attaches it securely to the suspension cable. Bardax gives it a little tug before tying the other end of the carabiner's rope round himself.

And with, he makes his first few steps forwards...
Spoiler:
Bardax; Dark Academy; Bridge Crossing:
1 Success, 2 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImage

OOC: Phew! Use Advantages to pass on to next co-ordination or athletics check?

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 pm

OOC: Not a single despair! Blast.

Merton, you are the first to cross. Using the climbing gear, you secure yourself to one of the suspension cables and quickly make your way across the bridge - your weight largely supported by the suspension cable. To observers it might look as if you are dancing across the unsteady and unreliable wooden boards with a careless grace. The bridge swings wildly with the motion. Again, the screech of metal on stone echoes across the mountain. When you reach the far side, you have some time to wait for the others to catch up. As you stand idle, you begin to feel the creeping sense of being watched slowly ramp up.

Raven you are quick to follow, trepedatious but determined; folloing Merton's lead. Bardax, you are the last to cross the bridge, bringing up the rear.

On the whole, despite the ease with which Merton tackles the task, crossing is cautious. The sky darkens with clouds and the wind becomes chill. The bridge swings in wider and wider arcs until Bardax sets foot on solid ground once more. The screeching of metal never amounts to anything more than an alarming noise and a nuisance.

Ultimately, you cross in reasonable time - certainly less time than it would have taken to descend, circle the lake and climb back up. On this side of the bridge, is a narrow, rocky promontory. Grass and scrub is far less tenacious here. The only apparent path runs to the left. It is a steep incline of of relatively flat, worn, irregular steps defined by a series of boundry stones on the outer edge.

[OOC: @Davakosh, I've nodded to your triumph here. The benefits of this will become apparent later.]

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:59 pm

After making it back to solid ground, Bardax puffs a small sigh of relief. Tidying his climbing gear away, he looks around at the looming darkness above them.

"I don't like the look of this weather." he grumbles to Raven and Merton.

"We better make haste!"

Adjusting his hood to better protect himself from the wind, Bardax makes his way towards the obvious stairway ascending up. He looks back at the team.

"I guess it's this way then." and he starts the potentially perilous climb.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:15 pm

Raven goes to follow Bardax, his failure on the bridge still weighing heavy on his mind.

OOC: let us know if we need to roll for climbing the steps

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:26 pm

The climb is steep, winding and hard work. After a while, the marked path becomes sporadic and hard to follow. Minutes stretch into hours. Cloud cover continues to darken the sky as you ascend. It is cold and the air is hazy with moisture. As Bardax is leading the way, @Azzranache should make me a Hard Survival (PPPs) Check with Setback for adverse weather conditions.

However, before you do, Raven, you have (I presume) followed along and brooded on your experience at the bridge. But you have tapped into that resvoir of emotion, hardened. You begin to think that you can feel the Force in this place. Would you care to roll a Force check for Foresee?

Spoiler:
I'd not usually prompt action from you in this regard. Ordinarily, if anyone wishes to intervene to modify a dice pool (flip a Light Point, Activate a Talent, Lend Assistance skilled or unskilled, convince me why a boost should be added or some other thing to help) or to divert the course of action then just post here or OOC.

Since we're all a bit new to this, I thought I'd try this as a way of demonstrating the possibility and of trying it out.

[Dicepool: s = setback, b = boost. I realised I was being inconsistant with how I refer to the boost and setback dice, since blue and black and boost all begin with "b".]

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:16 pm

As they path upward winds on, Raven, still languishing over his failure on the bridge, feels the Force prodding at him, and decides to reach out to get an sense of what lies ahead:
Spoiler:
Raven; Dark Academy; Forsee check: 2 Light Side
Thank goddness! I've been afraid to roll any dice. I guess I'll use the extra FP to pick out extra details

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:03 am

Raven, you see flashes of this journey. The bridge, the lake, a metal structure, a crumbling path, pillars of stone, and more. Much of what you see fails to stick in the mind. But it is only a few minutes before the group passes a cairn that strikes you as familiar. Raven, your assistance could be of significant benefit to Bardax as he forges ahead.

[As well as providing an unskilled assistance boost dice, you may also remove the setback from the Survival check, as you intiuit notable landmarks along your route. I'll leave it to you two to play that out?]

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:35 pm

Ravens force vision vanishes as quickly as it appeared. He had almost forgotten it until he starts to see some familiar landmarks on their path. He calls ahead to Bardax and says, "This is starting to look a bit familiar. . ." and proceeds to describe the landscape details the force showed him earlier.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:31 pm

Spoiler:
Bardax; Dark Academy; Survival Check on Climb:
1 Success, 1 Advantage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

OOC: Use Advantage to take less strain on an upcoming hazardous task/event.
Raven's words are just about audible from behind him in competition with the howling winds. With a few preemptive signs, Bardax is able to navigate the team adequately up the rough terrain. Starting to feel the exhaustion coming in, Bardax looks ahead to see if there is somewhere for the group to take a brief rest.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:09 am

With Raven's help and a keen sense of direction, you make good progress up the mountain. The going is tough, as the weather closes in and mist turns to rain. The haze of the sun has long since vanished behind a curtain of cloud but the eerie twilight suffuses the atmosphere.

As you cast about for a place to rest, you notice a short way up the slope, a crude marker. Unlike some of the ancient stone cairns you have passed hours ago, this is a freshly carved wooden stake held fast by a couple of heavy rocks. Tied to the end of the stake is an array of eye catching, brightly coloured feathers. Immediately next to this marker is a small hollow where you might find some reprieve from the driving wind. Searching around a little you can just make out a second flight of feathers fluttering in wind towards in the near disatance.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:02 pm

Raven notices the small alcove, but decides against a rest. He says, "Brothers, this looks like a good place to rest, but I feel we should cover as much ground as possible before nightfall." He turns up the collar on his coat and presses on. Internally, he is thinking he just wants to successfully complete this quest as soon as possible. Also he wants to get away from his failure on the bridge, physically and mentally, as quickly as possible. To that end, he attempts to distract himslef by figuring out what animal the feathers used on the marker come from . . .
Spoiler:
Raven; Dark Academy; Survival to identify the feather: 0 Success, 4 Advantages
ImageImageImageImageImage
OOC: Good to see I can't suceed, even when it doesn't matter :mrgreen:

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:55 am

Spoiler:
OOC: Haha but still, you must get something for 4 Advantages? You're time will come when we need it most! 8-)
Bardax nods in agreement at Raven's words. He is unusually quiet as opposed to his normal smart mouth comments. Apprehensive thoughts on what this unknown task could be? Reserving energy on what appears to be a climb becoming more and more difficult on them as the climate changes? Or just that they are on a big old mountain with nothing to talk about? Bardax purposely kicks a rock in his path now and again to keep himself entertained on the trail.

He looks over at Raven who he can see is transfixed on the feathered markers ahead.

Powering on, Bardax a watchful eye on the quickly changing sky.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:23 pm

Raven, you do not recognise the feathers as belonging to any creature you are familiar with, though you note that they are considerable in size. However, through detailed examination of the markers themselves, you begin to gain a little insight into the culture that created them.

There is little doubt that they are primitive in nature and they clearly indicate a society of hunters. Formidable hunters, if the size of these feathers is any indication... There is a basic script carved roughly into the wooden shafts which appear to represent some sort of numbering, with points of commonality in the galactic common numeric system you are familiar with, although there is hugely significant divergeance, it would appear that there are several sets of numbers of varying size counting down as you progress, with one set counting up.

The markers continue on for a quarter mile or so until you reach a fork in the trail. Markers lead in two directions - the first direction continues up the side of the mountain. The numbering on this marker continues the largest sequence of numbers on the markers, indicating the greatest distance. The second, lower path leads to a narrow ledge where the side of the mountain has at some point, in the dim past, subsided. The distance indicated by the markers is considerably shorter but there is a carved word or symbol that is not immediately familiar but the ledge is only a couple of feet wide and extends around a curve and out of sight.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:25 am

After reviewing the markings on the posts Raven turns to his team mate and says, "These markings seem to indicate that one path is safer, although much longer. The other will save a considerable amount of time, but is dangerous. I had a vision earlier that confirms this."

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 am

Bardax listens to Raven and thinks for a moment.

Although tired already, he thought Raven made a good point and taking any short-cuts may use unnecessary resource.

"OK then, safety first!" Bardax says cheerily although the fatigue from the climb so far was starting to show.

With a forceful stride, Bardax pushes on and heads on up the marked "long path". With the weather picking up, he wondered how long this path will actually be.

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:38 am

The markers continue at regular intervals and so you trudge on for an hour or so as air becomes thin and daylight steadily declines. More sets of markers appear to join the trail that you follow. You even begin to notice the ground beneath your feet has begun to wear down through regular use. Eventually, the diffused light of the sun at your backs sinks below the horizon, leaving the underside of the clouds dark red with the the embers of daylight. Those same clouds block out the moon and the stars, so very shortly you will loose all natural light. Unless you find a source of light, you won't be able to even see the markers.

Azzranache
Scoundrel

Post by Azzranache » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:07 am

As the natural light starts to fade, it becomes harder to see debris and rocks scattered around and on the old path. In the midst of taking a confident stride, Bardax's foot clips a grounded rock causing him to stumble and stagger into a clumsy skip.

"#@%&!!!" he shouts out as he regains his balance and hops momentarily on his good foot.

"Damn rocks.." Bardax grumbles and he reaches for his training saber.

Bardax ignites the saber and squints slightly as the luminescent glow lights up his face. After a second for his sight to adjust, he waves it in the upwards direction of the path.

"Light 'em up boys" Bardax says with a vigorous tone as he continues to lead the way now with the blueish glow of his saber helping to identify any hidden rubble in the growing darkness. It seems to do the trick as Bardax continues his climb, carefully avoiding and stepping over any immediate rocks seen within a meter or so.

As fatigue sets in, he can feel his body becoming heavier. Each stride becomes more of an effort and although in decent condition from recent years of physical training, Bardax feels a need to give in for his body to rest. He starts to hope that the entrance to the mine cannot be too far now.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Raven follows Bardax's example, using the gentle glow of the training saber to avoid obstacles. He calls ahead, "Any sign of this mine? I should like to rest and find some information on our objective."

SanguineAngel
Flyboy

Post by SanguineAngel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:48 pm

The hum of your lightsabers accompany you as you make your way from marker to marker through the night. The glow picks out the surrounding landscape in sharp relief. As you continue upwards, you begin to notice that the uneven rock underfoot is has formed something of a shallow ditch that you are walking along. At the edge of the light you can make out the sides of this ditch appear to be rubble, rather than natural rock. You find yourselves walking up the remains of a roadway, with the previous road level being slightly above head height for you now. Although it is broken and all but worn away, the trail here becomes much easier, where the maintainside has been artificially levelled.

Exhausted, you have climbed the mountainside without rest for nearly 8 hours. At last, you see a structure loom out of the darkness - the first indication of the mining complex is a tall, narrow rectangular building perched beside the remains of the road. From your position in the trench it towers above you, though as the light reveals more detail, you can see it is only two storeys high - with much of the wall neares you missing.

Could either of you give me an Average Vigiliance (PP) check with a setback for the poor light conditions and a boost for the other's assistance?

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:04 pm

Raven is elated at finally arriving to what he hopes is a good spot to rest.

Return to “The Story”