Character Creation OOC

A forum for Out Of Context (OOC) discussion related to the game.
Forum rules

Next * Update * Edit
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Re: Character Creation OOC

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:47 pm

I have a question about skills. It looks like I get 6 skills and then I picked two of them. What is that about?

Are the skills that I do not pick significant in any way?

What will my skill bonuses look like in those skills?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:51 pm

So skills,
When you pick your class you get to select a number of skills (determined by your class, most of them let you pick two) out of a list of skills you gain proficiency with these skills. You also get proficiency in skills from your background and race (I think you get some from race). For a total of about 6 skills. Rogues get more I believe.

Your bonus for any skill starts first with your ability score bonus for that skill. So if you have a characteristic of 10 the ability score would be a +1. If you do not have proficiency that would be it. If you have proficiency you would add your proficiency bonus to the score. This proficiency bonus starts at 2 (I believe) and increases as you gain levels. So if you are proficient you would get a +3. Since the highest score you could get at starting is a 17 which is a +4 the highest skill bonus you can have is a +6. All skills are important, each for its own reason.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:47 pm
I have a question about skills. It looks like I get 6 skills and then I picked two of them. What is that about?
the ones you choose represent the areas you have focused on in your class/ or background/ or race. see above.
DeepSpacer wrote:
Are the skills that I do not pick significant in any way?
All skills have a significance these will just be skills that you are not as good with. Though you may still be good at them if you have a decent related ability score.
DeepSpacer wrote:
What will my skill bonuses look like in those skills?
See previous post.

@DeepSpacer

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:11 pm

OOps! Looks like I posted similar questions on different days.

As a human, I can either get +1 to all attributes, or +1 to two attributes, and then one skill and one feat. Warlock gives me two skill choices. Got it. I'm piecing together the free stuff and filling in the holes. Thanks!

awarren
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by awarren » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Hey, I would like to join! I have posted an incomplete Aasimar Cleric in the character concepts forum. I will fill in more details asap.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Group Question.
You are all new arrivals to the city would you like to arrive as a group? or would you like to arrive separately.

If you arrive as a group the screen will start with you arriving at the city gate. If not it will have to start in a common place like a tavern, inn, or market.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:06 pm

Personally I'm fine with either way. Though the Inn would be a cool place too. Or Inn/Tavern even.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Either way would work. When I ran it with my RL group they started heading into the city together.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Sir Shor-Tay haha! Never considered that race for a Paladin. 'Aren't you a little short to be a knight?'
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:46 pm

Personally I'm good either way, but it would probably work better for my character to start in a Tavern/Inn.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:48 pm

It might be better generating the character if we all started separately rather than having to justify knowing one another, but then we would need to come up with a reason for us all to suddenly want to travel together.
Starting together would be more work in the short term but it would probably make more sense in the long run.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:02 am

kanila wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 pm
Sir Shor-Tay haha! Never considered that race for a Paladin. 'Aren't you a little short to be a knight?'
The live group did not have a healer at all so he was my GM PC. The character ended up being a really good part of the story so I kept him for this version of the game.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:04 am

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:48 pm
It might be better generating the character if we all started separately rather than having to justify knowing one another, but then we would need to come up with a reason for us all to suddenly want to travel together.
Starting together would be more work in the short term but it would probably make more sense in the long run.
You will all be hired for the first job, classic D&D style. The question is how will you meet your employer. An inn is classic and provides a good way for the introduction to be made.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:35 am

Could also try a flyer in the local market which leads us to the inn or tavern. Or even rumors about a job.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:43 am

kanila wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:35 am
Could also try a flyer in the local market which leads us to the inn or tavern. Or even rumors about a job.
Oh god please let it be a flyer just like those ones on and around college campuses for activist jobs.

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:50 am

Boutrose Saba-Norr wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:43 am
kanila wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:35 am
Oh god please let it be a flyer just like those ones on and around college campuses for activist jobs.
With the little tear off tabs?

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:51 am

Finally found an image I liked!

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:53 am

Yes

Currently on Dubai time

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:24 am

@Boutrose Saba-Norr Any more thoughts on what character you would like to play?

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:54 am

swrider wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:24 am
@Boutrose Saba-Norr Any more thoughts on what character you would like to play?
I’m thinking about it honestly, we already have a monk, a cleric, a warlock, and a fighter.
I’ve hinestly only played a bard before so I’m trying to decide on what would be an interesting and fun character to play and compliment everyone else.

Currently on Dubai time

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:29 pm

That is fair enough. The fighter and monk will both be close combat types and the cleric can also be close combat. Adding a forth in could be beneficial, but so could a ranged fighter or another magic user.

Rangers have some good options for bows, and their are like 15 different versions of them (They have been redone a few times in the unearthed arcana). My favorite to play has always been a druid. Druids have been tamed down a bit in this version but a moon druid can do quite a bit with wild shape while still having some spells and a earth? druid can do a lot with spells and have some wild shape. Druids have the most powerful attack spells in my opinion but they are mostly concentration spells which means you can only use one at a time and could loose them if you get hit. Most of those spells do good damage over time though so Druids are more than compensated.

I also really enjoy the wild magic sorcerer in 5e.

Paladins can be versatile using either ranged or close up weaponry and they have the power to heal (so do druids on a much more limited scale). It is always nice to have someone who can bring the cleric back up. Especially if the cleric insists on leading from the front.

there is not really a gap that needs to be filled nor would I try to entice you to fill one if it existed. The question is more what concept speaks to you.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:50 pm

I don't like how the druid doesn't have an animal companion anymore. We also don't have a Rogue in the party, although depending on how a Bard is played they can do almost as well.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:55 pm

Oh I forgot rogue.

Druids do have an animal companion of sorts if they want one. They just have to use spells to get and keep their animal companion.

The animal handling spell makes one animal their friend for 24 hours. Then with other spells you can see through the animals eyes or hear through their senses. Many druid spells are centered around an animal companion it is just not a straight out class feature like it was before. I think this was done for balance as a druids animal companion was almost like another PC in 3.5 making the druid class verry powerful. That could, also, be because most GMs game druids direct control over their animals. This includes me where as it was always supposed to be an npc that was influenced by the druid. 5e makes the distinction a bit more clear. But yeah, I was disappointed too. The rangers animal companion also sucks.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:13 pm

With my monk it says a bonus attack does that use offhand or regular? I'm not 100% clear on that.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:42 pm

swrider wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:29 pm
That is fair enough. The fighter and monk will both be close combat types and the cleric can also be close combat. Adding a forth in could be beneficial, but so could a ranged fighter or another magic user.

Rangers have some good options for bows, and their are like 15 different versions of them (They have been redone a few times in the unearthed arcana). My favorite to play has always been a druid. Druids have been tamed down a bit in this version but a moon druid can do quite a bit with wild shape while still having some spells and a earth? druid can do a lot with spells and have some wild shape. Druids have the most powerful attack spells in my opinion but they are mostly concentration spells which means you can only use one at a time and could loose them if you get hit. Most of those spells do good damage over time though so Druids are more than compensated.

I also really enjoy the wild magic sorcerer in 5e.

Paladins can be versatile using either ranged or close up weaponry and they have the power to heal (so do druids on a much more limited scale). It is always nice to have someone who can bring the cleric back up. Especially if the cleric insists on leading from the front.

there is not really a gap that needs to be filled nor would I try to entice you to fill one if it existed. The question is more what concept speaks to you.
I’ll be checking out all this stuff when I get off work tkday, I just got a pdf of xanathars so I’ll be able to look at that.

Currently on Dubai time

Return to “Discussion”