Fern the Warfordged Ranger

A place to develop and discuss character concepts.
ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Fern the Warfordged Ranger

Post by ThreeBFour » Fri May 31, 2019 7:13 pm

Character Info
Name: Fern Class & Level: Ranger 4 Background: Guild Artisan
Race: Warforged/Envoy Alignment: Neutral Experience Points:

Height: 5’-0". Weight: 250 lbs. Looks to be made of vines and darkwood with a greenish metal covering.

Most Used Stats
AC: 17
Initiative: +5
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Speed: 30’
Current Hit Points: 36
Hit Points Max: 36

Hit Dice Available: 4d10
Hit Dice Total :evil: 4d10

Death Saves:
Life/Death

Passive Perception: 14
Passive Investigation: 9
Inspiration: 12
Personality
Background: Failed Experiment.
Trait: I have a dark sense of humor.
Ideals: Live and let live. There are so many places to explore and things to learn.
Bonds: I would still lay down my life for anyone who shows me friendship.
Flaw: Laws are not mine, why should I follow them.
Attacks
• Battleaxe: Weapon Bonus (+4), Slashing, 1d8+2, Versatile (1d10+2)
• Warhammer: Weapon Bonus (+4), Bludgeoning, 1d8+2, Versatile (1d10+2)
• Daggers x2: Weapon Bonus (+5), Piercing, 1d4+3, Finesse, Light, Thrown (20/60)
Longbow: Weapon Bonus (+5), Piercing, 1d8+3, Heavy, Ranged (150/600)
WeaponAttack BonusDamage/TypeRange (normal/Max)quantity
Battleaxe:+41d8+2 Slashing (Versatile)
Warhammer:+41d8+2 Bludgeoning (Versatile)
Dagger(Primary Hand)+51d4+3
Dagger(Offhand Attack)+51d4+3
Longbow+51d8+3

Characteristics
Strength: 14 (+2)
Dexterity: 16 (+3)
Constitution: 15 (+2)
Intelligence: 8 (-1)
Wisdom: 14 (+2)
Charisma: 10 (+0)

Saves (* means proficient)
+4 Strength*
+5 Dexterity*
+2 Constitution
-1 Intelligence
+2 Wisdom
+0 Charisma

Skills (* means proficient)
1. +3 Acrobatics (Dex)
2. +4 Animal handling (Wis)*
3. -1 Arcana (Int)
4. +4 Athletics (Str)* (+5 Climb Checks)*
5. +0 Deception (Cha)
6. -1 History (Int)
7. +2 Insight (Wis)
8. +2 Intimidation (Cha)*
9. -1 Investigation (Int)
10. +2 Medicine (Wis)
11. +1 Nature (Int)*
12. +4 Perception (Wis)*
13. +0 Performance (Cha)
14. +0 Persuasion (Cha)
15. -1 Religion (Int)
16. +3 Sleight of Hand (Dex)
17. +3 Stealth (Dex)
18. -1 Survival (Wis)*

Proficiencies and Languages
  • Tool Proficiency: Tinkerer’s Tools
  • Tool Proficiency: Smiths Tools
  • Gaming Set Proficiency: Dice
  • Language: Common
  • Language: Gnomish
  • Language: Abyssal
  • Language: Infernal
Racial Abilities
  • Warforged Resilience: You have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned, and you have resistance to poison damage. You are immune to disease. You don’t need to eat, drink, or breathe. You don’t need to sleep and don’t suffer the effects of exhaustion due to lack of rest, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
  • Sentry’s Rest: When you take a long rest, you must spend at least 6 hours in an inactive state rather than sleeping. In this state, you appear inert, but it doesn’t render you unconscious, and you can see and hear as normal.
  • Integral Protection: Your body has built-in defensive layers, which determine your armor class.
    Composite Plating: Your armor class is 13 + your DEX modifier (maximum of 2) + your proficiency bonus.
  • Integral Tool: A chosen tool you are proficient with is integrated into your body, and you double your proficiency bonus for any ability checks you make with it. You must have your hands free to use this integrated tool.
    Tinker's Tools
Special Abilities
  • Favored Enemy:
    You have advantage on Survival checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on INT checks to recall information about them. You also learn one language of your choice that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all.
    Undead:
    Undead are once-living creatures brought to a horrifying state of undeath through the practice of necromantic magic or some unholy curse.
  • Natural Explorer:
    You have a favored terrain type. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for proficient skills when you make an INT or WIS check related to it. While traveling for an hour or more in your chosen terrain, difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel, your group can’t become lost except by magical means, you remain alert to danger even when you are engaged in another activity, you can move stealthily at a normal pace (while alone), you find twice as much food while foraging, and while tracking creatures, you learn the exact number, sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
    Forest:
    You are particularly familiar with one type of natural environment and are adept at traveling and surviving in such regions.
  • Fighting Style:
    You adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty.
    Two-Weapon Fighting:
    You add your ability modifier to damage for off-hand attacks.
  • Spellcasting:
    You can cast known ranger spells using WIS as your spellcasting modifier (Spell DC 12, Spell Attack +4)
  • Primeval Awareness:
    As an action, you can expend one ranger spell slot (1 minute per level of spell slot) to sense whether any aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, or undead are present within 1 mile of you (or within up to 6 miles if you are in your favored terrain). This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.
    Primeval Awareness: 1 Action
  • Ranger Archetype:
    Critter Caller: Critter Companions (Chipmunk swarm) [Homebrew D&D Beyond]
    You gain a family of critter companions that accompany you on your adventures and are obliged to fight alongside you. Often hidden in a satchel, bag or behind closed robes. The critters obey your command and take their turn as a collective on your initiative. On your turn, you can command the critters where to move (no action required by you) or take the Attack, Dash, Disengage, or Help action. If you don't issue a command, the beast takes the Dodge action

Magic Items

Feats

Equipment:
Armor:
  • Integral Protection: Your body has built-in defensive layers, which determine your armor class.
    Composite Plating: Your armor class is 13 + your DEX modifier (maximum of 2) + your proficiency bonus.
Weapons:
  • Battleaxe
  • Warhammer
  • Daggers x2
  • Longbow
    • Inventory
      Wealth:
      • 0 Platinum
      • 0 Gold
      • 0 Electum
      • 0 Silver
      • 0 Copper
      Gear
      • Backpack
      • Dice Set
      • Quiver (w/ 20 Arrows)
      • Rope, Silk (50’)
      • Sack (w/ mixed nuts)
      • Signal Whistle
      • Smith’s Tools
      • Tinder Box

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Re: Fern the Warfordged Ranger

Post by ThreeBFour » Fri May 31, 2019 7:20 pm

@swrider this is my idea for a new heavy. I still have to work up a solid background, but for the most part he's a failed gnomish experiment that somehow ended up with contact with dark forces during it's awakening. I went a little bit silly with the achetype and chose the Critter Caller from the D&D Beyond Homebrews. I figure he may have been abandoned by his creator in the forest near the Monastery and has kind of worked the area for the last decade or so, and is well known to the monks and Master. I haven't given him anything equipment-wise more than I though necessary for him and no money.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri May 31, 2019 7:28 pm

Looks goof ro the most part, but I need to review the critter crawler archetype. Already I am seeing an issue with it since the ability to get an animal companion is deliberately difficult in 5ed. I cant look at it at work so I'll have to get back to you.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Fri May 31, 2019 7:36 pm

swrider wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:28 pm
Looks goof ro the most part, but I need to review the critter crawler archetype. Already I am seeing an issue with it since the ability to get an animal companion is deliberately difficult in 5ed. I cant look at it at work so I'll have to get back to you.
Sounds good. Basically it's a swarm of rats, except I'm thinking chipmunks :lol:

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:42 pm

@swrider would it make it easier if I switched Fern to a fighter instead?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:34 pm

Either way... I forgot to look into this thanks for the reminder.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:30 pm

swrider wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:34 pm
Either way... I forgot to look into this thanks for the reminder.
Not a problem :lol:

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:39 pm

I'm going to disallow the critter crawler template. It is simply not balanced correctly and would not work well in game play. In my experience. If you want an animal companion you can use the animal friendship spell which I believe is available to rangers.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:23 pm

swrider wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:39 pm
I'm going to disallow the critter crawler template. It is simply not balanced correctly and would not work well in game play. In my experience. If you want an animal companion you can use the animal friendship spell which I believe is available to rangers.
Would it actually be better for the game if I remade him into a fighter instead?

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:54 pm

Character Info
Name: Fern Class & Level: Fighter 4 Background: Fail Experiment
Race: Warforged/Envoy Alignment: Neutral Experience Points:

Height: 5’-0". Weight: 250 lbs. Looks to be made of vines and darkwood with a greenish metal covering.

Most Used Stats
AC: 15
Initiative: +5
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Speed: 30’
Current Hit Points: 36
Hit Points Max: 36

Hit Dice Available: 4d10
Hit Dice Total :evil: 4d10

Death Saves:
Life/Death

Passive Perception: 14
Passive Investigation: 9
Inspiration: 12
Personality
Background: Failed Experiment.
Trait: I have a dark sense of humor.
Ideals: Live and let live. There are so many places to explore and things to learn.
Bonds: I would still lay down my life for anyone who shows me friendship.
Flaw: Laws are not mine, why should I follow them.
Attacks
  • Greataxe: Weapon Bonus (+6), Slashing, 1d12+4, Versatile (1d10+2)
  • Maul: Weapon Bonus (+6), Bludgeoning, 2d6+4, Versatile (1d10+2)
  • Dagger (x2): Weapon Bonus (+6/+4), Piercing, 1d4+4, Finesse, Light, Thrown (20/60)
  • Longbow: Weapon Bonus (+4), Piercing, 1d8+2, Heavy, Ranged (150/600)
WeaponAttack BonusDamage/TypeRange (normal/Max)quantity
Greataxe+61d12+4 +1d4 Slashing (Versatile)
Maul[/ CELL]+62d6+4 +1d4 Bludgeoning (Versatile)
Dagger+6/+41d4+4 +1d420/602
Longbow+41d8+2150/60020
Unarmed+65

Characteristics
Strength: 18 (+4)
Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 14 (+2)
Intelligence: 8 (-1)
Wisdom: 13 (+1)
Charisma: 10 (+0)

Saves (* means proficient)
+6 Strength*
+2 Dexterity
+4 Constitution*
-1 Intelligence
+1 Wisdom
+0 Charisma

Skills (* means proficient)
1. +4 Acrobatics (Dex)*
2. +1 Animal handling (Wis)
3. -1 Arcana (Int)
4. +6 Athletics (Str)* (+5 Climb Checks)*
5. +0 Deception (Cha)
6. -1 History (Int)
7. +1 Insight (Wis)
8. +2 Intimidation (Cha)*
9. -1 Investigation (Int)
10. +1 Medicine (Wis)
11. +1 Nature (Int)*
12. +3 Perception (Wis)*
13. +0 Performance (Cha)
14. +0 Persuasion (Cha)
15. -1 Religion (Int)
16. +2 Sleight of Hand (Dex)
17. +2 Stealth (Dex)
18. +1 Survival (Wis)

Proficiencies and Languages
  • Tool Proficiency: Tinkerer’s Tools
  • Tool Proficiency: Smiths Tools
  • Gaming Set Proficiency: Dice
  • Language: Common
  • Language: Gnomish
  • Language: Abyssal
Racial Abilities
  • Warforged Resilience: You have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned, and you have resistance to poison damage. You are immune to disease. You don’t need to eat, drink, or breathe. You don’t need to sleep and don’t suffer the effects of exhaustion due to lack of rest, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
  • Sentry’s Rest: When you take a long rest, you must spend at least 6 hours in an inactive state rather than sleeping. In this state, you appear inert, but it doesn’t render you unconscious, and you can see and hear as normal.
  • Integral Tool: A chosen tool you are proficient with is integrated into your body, and you double your proficiency bonus for any ability checks you make with it. You must have your hands free to use this integrated tool.
    Tinker's Tools
Special Abilities
Fighting Style:
You adopt a fighting style specialty.
Great Weapon Fighting:
You can reroll a 1 or 2 on damage dice with melee weapons wielded with two hands

Second Wind:
Once per short rest, you can use a bonus action to regain 1d10 + 4 HP.
Action Surge:
You can take one additional action on your turn. This can be used 1 time per short rest.
Brute Force: (UA)
Whenever you hit with a weapon that you’re proficient with and deal damage, the weapon’s damage increases by +1d4.

Magic Items

Feats

Equipment:
Armor:
Weapons:
  • Greataxe
  • Maul
  • Daggers x2
  • Longbow
    • Inventory
      Wealth:
      • 0 Platinum
      • 0 Gold
      • 0 Electum
      • 0 Silver
      • 0 Copper
      Gear
      • Backpack
      • Dice Set
      • Pouches (2)
      • Quiver (w/ 20 Arrows)
      • Rope, Silk (50’)
      • Sack (w/ mixed nuts)
      • Shovel
      • Smith’s Tools
      • Tinder Box

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:55 pm

@swrider This would be the fighter version.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:05 pm

I can adapt the game to any character you create. Create the character you want to play. If a fighter fits your image better of him now that I have disallowed the criteria crawler spec then go for it. There are multiple different variants of the ranger in the unearthed arcana you may want to explore as well. I am generally open, the person who created the critter crawler spec, however, was trying to get back to the glory days of animal companions during 3.5 edition. They are much more limited in this edition on purpose. The spec attempted to restore some of the functions that existed from the old animal companions, however, those functions were removed for a reason. The end result is a spec that will end up creating a lackluster animal companion while sacrificing a lot from the actual character. Also the companions are not as completely undercontrol as they were in previous editions. The companions are effectively NPCs which are under some limited direction of the PCs, but the PCs must sacrifice their own actions to use the companions. I am not a fan of how animal companions are done in this system and can provide you the feel of wanting an animal companion without the sacrifices the spec would have you take. You would lose some of the 'benefits' but I think you would be better in the long run.

The animal friendship spell allows you to effectively charm an aminal to follow you around it is how animal companions work in this game. I am willing to create a feat which allows you to form a bond with an animal (or animal swarm). From that point, you can use animal handling to teach them a variety of tricks which can be employed in combat. They will not be as effective as your spec would allow, but it would allow your character to have a more normal progression. Also, I would not limit the type of companion so drastically, you could get a better companion through gameplay, though you would have to train the new ones. If you really want an aminal that is truly under your control, I would suggest a paladin or warlock. The paladins mount and the warlocks familiar is the closest thing to an animal companion from earlier editions.

Another option which I propose to you is that you have a pseudo dragon traveling with you. This would be an allied NPC under my control, but I would let you use them in combat. They have some pretty interesting capabilities and could fit nicely with your character design. Note I am willing to reflavor the pesudo dragon or another companion to fit your aesthetic.

Lastly, If your heart is set on the critter crawler spec, I will allow it. I really caution against it though. I fell it is underpowered for the player and will ultimately be a disapointment.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:08 pm

The fighter version is good. If you would enjoy that version it is definatly acceptable. Please review my above post though and choose what you would like to play. It is not my intention to limit your creativeness or enjoyment and I want to give you the opportunity to have your initial vision, even if I am suggesting modifications.

Also many of the suggestions I made I would also be willling to implement with the fighter.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:19 pm

Thought it might be fun in general, but now that I've actually created the Fighter, I do like it a little better.
I went with the Brute Archetype from Unearthed Arcana, but kept the Failed Experiment Background. I figure it could have been wandering around the mountains for the last decade or so, somewhat lost due to lack of any real knowledge of itself. It could be in contact regularly with the Monastery, providing fresh meat any herbs that they might need, plus protection. The monks could have somewhat adopted it as a lost soul that's not ready to enter the monastic life, in fact they may well have given it the name Fern.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Sounds good. You work with azure possible having been created by him... He loves in the "basement" of the monestary and will be introduced shortly. It is a great opportunity for him to be introduced.

Sorry for the specifics, it just fist so will into the sorry if we have him shouldered with azure. Also a perk. Pick one common magic item made out of metal and you can add sit to your sheet. A +1 weapon perhaps.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:35 pm

swrider wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 pm
Sounds good. You work with azure possible having been created by him... He loves in the "basement" of the monestary and will be introduced shortly. It is a great opportunity for him to be introduced.

Sorry for the specifics, it just fist so will into the sorry if we have him shouldered with azure. Also a perk. Pick one common magic item made out of metal and you can add sit to your sheet. A +1 weapon perhaps.
I'm going to leave it with a Gnome creator which would be why he is so short and speaks Gnomish, and the Abyssal language coming from whatever touched him spirit-wise during the awakening process.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:53 pm

That works great. At this point in the game, it won't matter who created him... though I might bring something related to that in later. It could be fun. His affiliation with the monastery and Azure is up to you, though I see his unique nature lending him a good relationship with Azure. Either way, you still get the magic item mentioned. Azure is the NPC which will be providing them to the other characters. Having a preexisting relationship with him would justify this character already having one. Once again the limit is a common magic item and it must be made of metal.

Besides adding the item the character is approved. You can move it to the character database.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:15 am

Cool.
I don't know why I forgot about his abilities already with the built in Tinker's Tools and his Smith's Tools it gives him more reason to hang around the Monastery as well.

Return to “Character Concepts”