Gage, Human Warlock

A place to develop and discuss character concepts.
DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Gage, Human Warlock

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:19 pm

#Gage.jpg
#Gage.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
Character Info
Name: GageClass & Level: 1st-level WarlockBackground:
Race: HumanAlignment: Chaotic-Good*experience Points: 0
*Chaotic good (CG) creatures act as their conscience directs, with little regard for what others expect.

Characteristics
14 (+2) Strength
12 (+1) Dexterity
14 (+2) Constitution
8 (-1) Intelligence
10 (+0) Wisdom (+2 Saves)
17 (+3) Charisma (+2 Saves)

Proficiency Bonus: +2, Speed: 30", Current Hit Points: 10, Hit Points Max: 10
Death Saves: Passive Perception: Saves: Wisdom, Charisma
AC: 12 Initiative: +1
Attacks:
Powers ...
Spoiler:
Dark One’s Blessing:
Starting at 1st level, when you reduce a hostile creature to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your warlock level (minimum of 1).
Spells Known & Spell Slots & Invocations
Spoiler:
2 Known Cantrips, 2 Known Spells,
1 Spell Slot, 0 Invocations,

Saves: 13 (DC 8 + Proficiency Bonus + Charisma Modifier)
Spell Attack: 5 (Proficiency Bonus + Charisma Modifier)

Cantrips:
Eldritch Blast: 120ft, force energy beam, 1d10
Prestidigitation: 10ft, up to 1hr, spark, wind, notes, odor, clean, chill, warm, color, illusion 1T, (up to 3 at a time)
(2 Known Spells, 1 Spell Slot)
1st Level:
*Hex: 90ft, petrified eye of newt, sight, do +1d6 necrotic damage with an attack. Choose one ability score to be at Disadvantage with ability checks made with it. If dies, then can shift to another as a bonus action.
Hellish Rebuke: 60ft (as a Reaction) when damaged by a creature, point finger, 2d10 Fire Damage (Dex Save for ½) (**cast as 2nd, +1d10)
Skills ...
Spoiler:
* means proficient (3) (One from Human, Two From Warlock, 2x's for Menacing Feat)
  1. 1 Acrobatics (Dex)
  2. 0 Animal handling (Wis)
  3. -1 Arcana (Int)
  4. 2 Athletics (Str)
  5. 5 *Deception (Cha)
  6. -1 History (Int)
  7. 0 Insight (Wis)
  8. 7 **Intimidation (Cha)
  9. -1 Investigation (Int)
  10. 0 Medicine (Wis)
  11. -1 Nature (Int)
  12. 0 Perception (Wis)
  13. 3 Performance (Cha)
  14. 5 *Persuasion (Cha)
  15. -1 Religion (Int)
  16. 1 Sleight of Hand (Dex)
  17. 1 Stealth (Dex)
  18. 0 Survival (Wis)
Feats ...
Spoiler:
Feats
Menacing (Unearthed Arcana 17)
You become fearsome to others, gaining the following benefits:
 Increase your Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
 You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill. If you are already proficient in the skill, you add double your proficiency bonus to checks you make with it.
 When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can replace one attack with an attempt to demoralize one humanoid you can see within 30 feet of you that can see and hear you. Make a Charisma (Intimidation) check contested by the target's Wisdom (Insight) check. If your check succeeds, the target is frightened until the end of your next turn. If your check fails, the target can't be frightened by you in this way for 1 hour.
Armor
Leather Armor (11+ Dex) 10lbs
Weapons:
2 Daggers: 1d4 Piercing, Range 20/60 (finesse, light, thrown)
Quarterstaff: 1d6 (Versatile 1d8)

Inventory
Spoiler:
Magic Items

Wealth
  • 0 Platinum
  • 10 Gold
  • 0 Electum
  • 0 Silver
  • 0 Copper
  • Art Work
    • b
  • Gems
    • R
Gear
  • backpack
  • bedroll
  • waterskin
  • trail rations 5 days
    (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon
    (a) a component pouch or (b) an arcane focus
    (a) a scholar’s pack or (b) a dungeoneer’s pack
    Leather armor, any simple weapon, and two daggers
Proficiencies and Languages
[*]Common,
Background
“Do you want to see a dead body?” That’s what the young Henry Thibault said to his friend Gage one summer evening after they had finished their chores. Gage’s very old, but distant, father insisted on him finishing his chores each day.
“A dead body?”
“Yeah, a dead body. It’s in the forest off of the old Oak View passage. C’mon! Let’s go!”

That was how it all began. The body which Henry led him to was that of an old human man. It was lying on its back in a small clearing. The eyes had long been pecked out by ravens and the corpse had been riddled with stab wounds and vicious slashes. Bludgeoning damage had matted down the long, fuzzy, gray hair of the man’s head and beard. The clothes had been violently torn, the pockets ripped out, and his robes shredded as if someone (or something) had been looking for something within them.

The ghastly site gave the boys a very uneasy feeling. It came as no surprise that the first sounds they heard from that point in the forest gave them reason to flee. Running through the brush, one following another, it was Gage that tripped and fell over something, something small and flat, wrapped in cloth. It was rectangular, like a leather-bound book.
“Gage! Are you okay? What is it?”
At that moment something deep inside of Gage told him not to tell his friend about his discovery. Although he normally shared everything with Henry (his best friend), something felt “different” this time. “Something” told Gage not to share what he had found. “I’m okay! It’s…. It’s… nothing.” Gage tucked the item under his clothing and the boys each ran swiftly back to their respective homes.

Gage’s finding was some sort of ancient Tome. Over the next few weeks and months, the Tome became Gage’s new best friend as he grew increasingly miserly and reclusive. Gage confided in the Tome and the Tome confided in him. It helped him DO things. Incredible things! To him, this was a sign from Pelor, but the covetous nature of the Tome kept Gage from sharing its contents. After some many months (perhaps years) of bonding, Gage began receiving ‘visions’ of the future. It was a future in which great calamity and ruin would come to the kingdom. Gage saw this as a forewarning from Pelor and has made it his task to warn everyone who would hear.
Last edited by DeepSpacer on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 23 times in total.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Re: Gage, Human Warlock

Post by swrider » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:17 pm

There are teo versions of humans. One gets a +1 to every characteristic. The other gets +1 to two and a free feat. Both area available to you. Feats are a lot more difficult to get and more powerfull in 5e

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:24 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:19 pm
**Not sure how I get the tables/boxes to translate to this page.
You have to use quote to get the formatting then edit the appropriate parts. It can be a little interesting to look at in text form but is a lot easier in posted form.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:57 pm

swrider wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:24 pm
DeepSpacer wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:19 pm
**Not sure how I get the tables/boxes to translate to this page.
You have to use quote to get the formatting then edit the appropriate parts. It can be a little interesting to look at in text form but is a lot easier in posted form.
I just copied the information and pasted it in a Word document and it seems to work pretty well, although I haven't tried doing it in reverse yet. I'll let you know.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Looks like you are thinking of a feat. This link has a breakdown of the feats that are available. Please remember that anything from the unearthed arcana will need to be looked at and approved by me. (It probably will be, but I just need to see it first).

Feats

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:19 am

I got a good look at Feats and Spells this week. Any bonus spells like in D&D based on attributes?

Is my base attack and saves my proficiency bonus?

How many types of saves do I have? One for each attribute?

What's this thing called Death Saves you have on the sheet?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:30 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:19 am
I got a good look at Feats and Spells this week. Any bonus spells like in D&D based on attributes?
No spells slots are decided by your caster level. Just follow what is in your class unless you decide to multi class.
DeepSpacer wrote:
Is my base attack and saves my proficiency bonus?
no proficiency bonus is a number which gets added to pretty much everything. it will increase depending on your level. Level is the only thing which affects it. If you look at the level table for your class it will be listed on there, but is the same for every class.
DeepSpacer wrote:
How many types of saves do I have? One for each attribute?
yes. 6
DeepSpacer wrote:
What's this thing called Death Saves you have on the sheet?
When a is reduced to 0 hit points they are rendered unconscious. You do not count negative numbers so they are at 0 hit points. Once this occurs they will make death saving throws on their turn until they are stabilized. This roll is a straight D20 on a roll of 10 or less they fail and get one death mark. On a roll of 11-19 they pass and get one life mark on a 20 they regain 1 hitpoint and are conscious. If they get three life points they are stable, if they get three death points they die. A heal check on a character from another pc can stabilize them, the spare the dying cantrip can stabilize them. Regaining any hit points wakes them up. Stabilized characters are still unconscious.

Besides this method a character can die if it takes damage equal to its max hit points in excess of its current hit points. So if ug has 2 HP of 30 and takes 32 or more damage it is instant death (I have never seen this happen). Some spells can also kill outright like disintegrate etc...

it is actually very difficult to kill pcs in this game unless you are really trying. It allows the gm to through hard battles out there without fearing knocking people over. I've had battles with my live group where every PC was down making death saving troughs at different points some multiple times and they still all survived.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Traits, Ideals, Bonds, Flaws....

What are they? They're not included in the free stuff. I'd likely take whatever you recommended. To narrow it down, Gage is planned to be sort of a doomsayer. He believes the end is near, the kingdom is about to fall, etc... A bit of a madman, but good Charisma...influential. Grim, foreboding, dark. His low stats will be INT & Wisdom. I'll likely take Menacing as a Feat. The Elemental Adept may work, too (Rolled fire damage = 1's as 2's).

While a doomsayer, he believes in fighting that oncoming evil. He just wants to spread the warning, look for signs to confirm that the prophetic message is coming true.

Any flaws like paranoia? Delusional?
Ideals: stand for good, fight evil when it comes
Bonds: ???
Traits: ???

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:26 pm
Traits, Ideals, Bonds, Flaws....

What are they? They're not included in the free stuff. I'd likely take whatever you recommended. To narrow it down, Gage is planned to be sort of a doomsayer. He believes the end is near, the kingdom is about to fall, etc... A bit of a madman, but good Charisma...influential. Grim, foreboding, dark. His low stats will be INT & Wisdom. I'll likely take Menacing as a Feat. The Elemental Adept may work, too (Rolled fire damage = 1's as 2's).

While a doomsayer, he believes in fighting that oncoming evil. He just wants to spread the warning, look for signs to confirm that the prophetic message is coming true.

Any flaws like paranoia? Delusional?
Ideals: stand for good, fight evil when it comes
Bonds: ???
Traits: ???
These are roll playing aids and help develop the character. They are not strictly required but are something I think you would enjoy.

Flaw:Gage is a doomsayer believing the end is near and the kingdom is about to fall
Ideals:he believes in fighting that oncoming evil, spreading the warning and looking for signs to confirm that the prophetic message is coming true.
Bonds:

Bonds are people, locations, organizations to which he has strong personal relationships. These could be siblings, other doomsday profits, or someone in the group... could also be a pet dog.

Traits? I am not sure i remember any offical things called traits unless that is the heading for the other three.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 pm

As a warlock he has been taught his power from some extremely powerful being. Perhaps this is where he learned of the prophecy? Perhaps his bond is related to that being. Protecting a sacred item preordained to be of importance when the prophesy is fulfilled or nearing fulfillment.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:18 pm

As was mentioned in the free material, the warlock does not always know the TRUE nature of his powers. I was going to go with that. Perhaps I will take a prophecy angle, but the Tome also had an evil nature to it. I think I have that down.

At 2nd level he gets some more warlock stuff. For right now, he just has one spell to cast a day.

Wow! I am liking the Eldritch Evocations! I'm going to have to think about how those affect my PC.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Just one 1st level spell. Cantrips don't use spell slots so you can cast those as many times as you want. A Warlocks eldritch blast is one of the most powerful attack cantrips.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:03 pm

swrider wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:41 pm
Just one 1st level spell. Cantrips don't use spell slots so you can cast those as many times as you want. A Warlocks eldritch blast is one of the most powerful attack cantrips.
It goes up if I cast it as 2nd level and one Feat gives me Charisma bonus damage to it. ;)

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Looks like it is coming along nicely.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:07 am

It looks really good so far. I dont normally make suggestions for characters believing in character choice, but since you are new to 5e i would suggest Hex for a 1st level spell. It is a bonus action to cast so you can use a cantrip the same round. It does an extra 1d6 damage on any attack you hit with. The eldrich blast at higher levels has multiple attacks so that damage can really stack. It is good at low levels too. When the target dies you can move the spell to a new target untill it ends or you loose concentration. The two spells you picked are good, i just find hex to be really good.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:46 am

Never saw "Hex".
Spoiler:
5e SRD >Spellcasting >
Warlock Spells

Cantrips (0 Level)

Chill Touch
Eldritch Blast
Mage Hand
Minor Illusion
Poison Spray
Prestidigitation
True Strike
Back to top ^

1st Level

Charm Person
Comprehend Languages
Expeditious Retreat
Hellish Rebuke
Illusory Script
Protection from Evil and Good
Unseen Servant
Total: 8 x 10 = 80gp
Character: Gage
Campaign: Dark Patron
Description: starting money
Bonus:
4D4= 8
indivdiual rolls: 2, 1, 4, 1

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:49 am

The roll for coins is if you go through and purchase all your gear you dont get it if you use the starting equipment package.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 am

http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Hex

Hex is a warlock only spell it might not have been in the basic rules. Above is the wiki link for te spell. I can provide book text if needed.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:23 am

swrider wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:07 am
It looks really good so far. I dont normally make suggestions for characters believing in character choice, but since you are new to 5e i would suggest Hex for a 1st level spell. It is a bonus action to cast so you can use a cantrip the same round. It does an extra 1d6 damage on any attack you hit with. The eldrich blast at higher levels has multiple attacks so that damage can really stack. It is good at low levels too. When the target dies you can move the spell to a new target untill it ends or you loose concentration. The two spells you picked are good, i just find hex to be really good.
Thanks for the link. It may be one to choose. It's a matter of facing off one enemy at a time or getting several in a 15ft cone with Burning Hands. Hex may very well work with my fiendish abilities.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:17 pm

This character is approved add 10 gp so you have some starting money.

You may still swap out the 1st level spell if you would like. Before it is used ic

Return to “Character Concepts”