Arc I - OOC

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Image *Use LS*Use DS *

Update Force Pool
Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Arc I - OOC

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:31 pm

It is a period of peace.
It has been nearly 1.5 centuries
since the Jedi Freedan Nadd
vanished after slaying his master
and renouncing the Jedi Order.

In that time, the Republic
has grown stronger, spreading
to more and more worlds with
the Jedi existing as keepers of
the peace and negotiators.

On Umbara, Jedi Master
Seer Curvian has accepted
a crop of Jedi initiates,
who she hopes will aid the
Jedi in the future troubles
she has foreseen.

Her new initiates are pulled
from their studies when
the Republic asks Master
Curvian to attend a trade
summit between the Hutt
Clans and the Republic on
Ruusan...

Players: 5

Players so Far
Basic Premise: Force sensitive PCs, although they do not need to take the Jedi themed (FaD) Talent trees if they don't wish to. Using one of the Universal Talent trees that give a Force rating is fine. PCs have just completed a majority of their padawan training on Coruscant or Dantooine and have been sent to Curvian's Praxeum for final training and Knighthood trials. This adventure is not a sandbox, although it is not built to railroad the players either.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Re: Arc I - OOC

Post by kanila » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:34 am

So with lightsaber creation what rules are you going with? Lore or Mechanics? Or just Mechanics? I'm sure we won't craft a custom one anytime soon but I'm curious so I can work on the correct area with future xp.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:23 pm

I'll look. I hadn't realized there were different rules for crafting, what book are they in?
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:24 pm

As an FYI to people, there's going to be at least one NPC padawan as well, two if I can't get a fifth player. If you want them in your backstory, let me know. You also can totally be in each others' backstories, or not, since Dantooine and Coruscant are both the main training centers for young students.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:46 pm

The main book allows either of them but by what I have heard Endless Vigil says it's just Mechanics.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 pm

I'll browse around and give an answer.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:02 am

Doctor Who wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 pm
I'll browse around and give an answer.
https://community.fantasyflightgames.co ... his-right/

This is where I saw it. There is also a homebrew approach as well towards the bottom of the forum.

Ultimately it's up to you on how you want to roll it.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:50 am

This one, I believe. As a player & Gm, I am not much into crafting. I don't delve into it. But, I suppose with a Jedi, I will need t o learn something about it. ;) It makes sense for the more experienced Jedi to do things better without the INT-based skill.
Spoiler:
I do things a little differently depending on if they're building a hilt or modding a crystal. I treat the hilt as a purely mechanical device. The difficulty is generally 2, so even without the Mechanics skill they should be able to handle it in a roll or two, and the materials aren't crazy expensive. If they roll some threat, well, that just means their lightsaber has an interesting quirk.

Modding a crystal has a higher difficulty, and a higher cost of failure. Chances are, you just went on a quest to find a rare crystal worth thousands of credits. If you blow that Mechanics roll, you've screwed yourself a bit. So I allow either Lore or Mechanics, and you can add your Force dice to the roll. If you're attuned to the crystal (which in my game means you probably had to find and harvest it yourself), you get a 2-point difficulty reduction.

I don't recall where each of those little tweaks comes from, but it basically means any experienced Jedi would have a decent lightsaber. A solid Force rating and a couple ranks of Lore would be plenty.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:08 pm

I agree with that guy, now that I read his comment, and that was actually what my ruling would have been too.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:39 pm

I have to redo my concept. DeepSpacer's Twi'lek overlaps the Gran I built yesterday way too much. I was going to play a face/medic (since I didn't think he liked playing face PCs) but I'll be more than happy to let him take the face responsibilities. I may rebuild into just a medic, or do something completely different.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Crunch for my healer concept is up. Backstory and the rest of the '"fluff" coming later this week. Hope I'm not holding up the game.

If anyone spots gear that I've overlooked that I should have, please let me know. Such as extra stims (I already have 2; 1 from the belt and 1 from the med kit).

PS - I neglected to put on the sheet that I used all the Morality for +2500 credits. A Jedi utility belt is expensive, and so is the med kit.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:42 pm

You're not holding it up, I want planning to get going till mid ish April, and I still need one more person. I'm gonna advertise on the FFG forums and maybe the FF Star Wars subreddit as well here soon

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:10 pm

I thought we were not starting with any real gear, other than some specifics. But are utility belts allowed?

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Yeah. I was gonna point that out.

You'll get jedi utility belts courtesy of the Jedi order, since you are a part of it and they dont normally make their pupils buy their own supplies AFAIK.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Ok wasn't sure. They would probably supply Shado's character's medkit as well, especially if he's setup as a healer. That way Shado can use the +10 XP instead of the credits.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Yeah, that was my intent. You're Jedi, and in the movies (and Tales of the Jedi, IIRC), the Jedi aren't shown buying much, they are given most of it by the Order, or just luck into it through murder hobo'ing.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:46 pm

Murder hobo'ing?????

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:52 pm

ThreeBFour wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:46 pm
Murder hobo'ing?????
Have you never heard the term? It's used about Dungeons and Dragons a lot, but perfectly fits the KotOR games. It's when you have no home (hobo) and travel around killing things and looting them (murder).

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:26 am

No, I'd never heard it before. I've played various Table Top RPGs for years and nobody has ever said it.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:38 am

Doctor Who wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:52 pm
ThreeBFour wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:46 pm
Murder hobo'ing?????
Have you never heard the term? It's used about Dungeons and Dragons a lot, but perfectly fits the KotOR games. It's when you have no home (hobo) and travel around killing things and looting them (murder).
Another version that I've heard (but probably not the accurate one Dr. Who described) says that you are so ultimately greedy and ruthless that you go around murdering hobos for the few copper coins and rags that they have. Kill enough of them and the characters will get rich eventually (and get some XP). It can also tend to happen when the GM is boring them and the PC's want to do something, so they kill the first thing they come across. And sometimes, the same result comes out of frustration caused by not being able to solve the situation. I have one guy who always resorts to "burn the town down" whenever he gets frustrated in the game. In SW FFG, he once had a swoop gang character and off'd his whole gang for no apparent reason about 2 sessions in.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:46 am

Oh, it must not be as universal as I thought.

But yeah, basically it's someone who travels around killing things for loot, without much care about consequences. For a Star Wars example, see KotOR I or II, wherein the PC kills or steals anything not nailed down, rifles through the remains, and builds better weapons or armor with said remains.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Murder Hobo is a very common term, but you need to frequent forums or online communities to be exposed to it in most cases. I have always heard the same explanation as Doc.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:26 pm

I thought murder-hobo was come place.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:23 am

Maybe it's just me, although I have been sporadic in my gaming the last few years.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Once Shado gets a better idea of when his internet usage will be more consistent, I'll put up an add on the SWRPG subreddit and FFGames forums to look for one more player.

Return to “Discussion”