Arc V - OOC

Discussions out-of-character (OOC) and Q&A about the game.
Forum rules
Image *Use LS*Use DS *

Update Force Pool
Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Re: Arc V - OOC

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:36 pm

I'm gonna be in and out for about the next two weeks, dealing with moving and cleaning the apartment before vacating, so most of my rulebooks and stuff are all packed up.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:51 pm

Done that, my condolences on suffering through the hassle of moving. I loathe moving.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:40 pm

Understood, about the move. Best of luck in that transition.

@ShadoWarrior
So, would it be to Arca's advantage to go next since he is the one in sight of the bad guys?
Arca would know that Trixie wasn't detected so he could, perhaps, lead the Trandoshans past where she is hidden at? Perhaps he could do that and take some cover with a maneuver?

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:21 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:40 pm
So, would it be to Arca's advantage to go next since he is the one in sight of the bad guys?
Arca would know that Trixie wasn't detected so he could, perhaps, lead the Trandoshans past where she is hidden at? Perhaps he could do that and take some cover with a maneuver?
Yeah, that sounds like a plan. Arca's not much of a warrior so being 'bait' seems a more useful thing for him to do at this early stage of the encounter.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:07 am

Just stopping by to say im alive, I'll get back into stuff next week. Current life is work -> clean/move stuff until Saturday.
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:18 pm

Anything I need ot know when they try to attack you Arca?

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:38 am

Doctor Who wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:18 pm
Anything I need to know when they try to attack you Arca?
All of the following is from his character sheet, but to save you the trouble of looking up the stuff...
If he's attacked by lightsaber his Defense is 2, it's 1 versus ranged attacks. His Soak is 4.

If he's hit (per hit):
When the character suffers a hit from a Brawl, Melee, or Lightsaber combat check, after damage is calculated (but before soak is applied, so immediately after step 3 of Perform a Combat Check) the character may take a Parry incidental. They suffer 3 strain and reduces the damage dealt by that hit by a number equal to 2 plus their ranks in Parry (which is 1).
or
When the character suffers a hit from a Ranged (Light), Ranged (Heavy), or Gunnery combat check, and after damage is calculated (but before soak is applied, so immediately after step 3 of Perform a Combat Check) they may take the Reflect incidental. They suffer 3 strain and reduce the damage dealt by a number equal to 2 plus their ranks in Reflect (which is 1).

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:28 am

Spoiler:
First lightsaber attack, lemme know if you want to block it.

As a heads up, ARca can tell that something is off about the blade and that it will not do as much as he would expect, damage wise, on contact. But he doesn't know why it feels off.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:06 am

Moving forward, Arca is able to position himself to bait someone to step closer. His Niman form stance draws several derisive glances from the Trandoshans.
Did I have to use my maneuver to do this, or just my action? Because if I have an unspent maneuver (otherwise I'll take an extra maneuver at the cost of +2 strain) I'd like to have also assumed a Guarded Stance, which adds another +1 to my defense (you'll need to roll 1 more black die). The result of this won't change much with respect to this first attack damage I may receive.

Regardless of the extra die I'll still be needing to eat 3 strain and apply Parry to reduce the incoming damage by 3. So I'm looking at 6(base)+3(successes)=9, 9-3(Parry)-4(soak)=2 damage ... assuming that the saber is doing a base of 6. If it does 4 or less base damage then I'll take no damage. Also, if your black die pops a failure then I'll take 1 less damage than what I calculated. As for spending the threats the enemy generates, if it's just 1 then hit the enemy with a 1 strain. If he ends up with 2 threats then I'd like attempt to disengage (increase range) so that additional attackers can no longer reach me.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:44 pm

it will cost a second maneuver.

Cool, it's only 4 damage.
Spoiler:
stuff; stuff; +1 setback:
0 Success, 0 Advantage

No negative effect from it, I'll roll the next attack in a bit. Recovering from attending NOVA in DC all weekend.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:34 am

Okay then. So far Arca has taken 5 strain and zero damage. His melee defense is 3 until the end of the round. He can parry up to 3 more attacks before he drops from strain. His companions will need to step up soon as he can't do this sort of thing much longer. Arca's a support character (healer), not a warrior.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:43 am

make a me a Lore check for what might be happening, difficulty hard, but 1 boost from your time talking to the Holocron of Sorzus Synn
A very strange roll...

Arca Gavalun; Tales of the Old Republic; Lore check:
0 Success, 5 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:30 pm

not sure if we can take these guys out quickly, we may need to get creative, or come up with a plan B

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:48 pm

It's still a badguys turn, I have the other one to go.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:25 pm

So I'm gonna have tp have the second Trandoshan go, was just hoping DeepSpacer would remove their post. I can fit stuff in.

Shado, Arca is pretty sure that there's something up with the darkside if he or someone else gets tagged by one of those sabers. The boosts will allow you to figure out what exactly happens if someone does get tagged, but nothing without seeing it in action.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:37 pm

We are now back at the top

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:17 pm

The second Trandoshan, getting insult added to injury, fails to harm Arca and then has his blade deftly knocked from his hand. He angrily grunts at Trixie.
This player laughs his ass off at this. Arca, not so much.

It's real easy for a character to pick up a dropped weapon and resume their attack. In d20 that would trigger an attack of opportunity from any opponents, so it was a big deal. In FFG they just burn a maneuver. Knocking the weapon down saves Arca from one attack, but doesn't really change the danger he's in. As a player I do, however, very much appreciate the help from my fellow player. Arca will probably have to disengage from melee this new round unless one of the bad guys gets put down or otherwise rendered no longer a threat...

If one of Arca's companions has the ability to move small objects it'd be cool to snatch up that dropped saber to keep it out of the lizard's paws. Just a thought.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:18 am

ShadoWarrior wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:17 pm
The second Trandoshan, getting insult added to injury, fails to harm Arca and then has his blade deftly knocked from his hand. He angrily grunts at Trixie.
This player laughs his ass off at this. Arca, not so much.

It's real easy for a character to pick up a dropped weapon and resume their attack. In d20 that would trigger an attack of opportunity from any opponents, so it was a big deal. In FFG they just burn a maneuver. Knocking the weapon down saves Arca from one attack, but doesn't really change the danger he's in. As a player I do, however, very much appreciate the help from my fellow player. Arca will probably have to disengage from melee this new round unless one of the bad guys gets put down or otherwise rendered no longer a threat...

If one of Arca's companions has the ability to move small objects it'd be cool to snatch up that dropped saber to keep it out of the lizard's paws. Just a thought.
I discovered this years ago when a small group had a series of interactions with some Stormtroopers. At least THREE times someone was disarmed only to have the person pick it back up. As GM, I kept wracking my brain to figure out if I was doing anything wrong. Nope. The rules just let's someone pick their weapon up.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:44 am

Yeah, it stops them from aiming I guess? unless they burn extra strain, then they can still do that.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:52 pm

Zyla has Move, but only the base power, so the range is short. I don't know if it's worth trying, even if it is hilarious.
How far is Zyla from the loading arms or rather, the nearest console that can control them?

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:15 pm

I'm thinking go to the controls, and either grab ship if it tries to escape, or use the arms to kill disable some of these guys

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:02 pm

medium range, the NPCs started out medium range and Zyla ran to meet them (Zyla is down 1 strain to have gotten there).

Short from Trixie and Arca.

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:43 am

Doctor Who wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:02 pm
(Zyla is down 1 strain to have gotten there).
2 strain for an extra maneuver, not 1.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:57 pm

So should Zyla keep fighting, or go for the controls. I imagine she'd want to fight, but doesn't want to lose

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:17 am

crazybirdman wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:57 pm
So should Zyla keep fighting, or go for the controls. I imagine she'd want to fight, but doesn't want to lose
"Better to burn out than fade away."

If he strikes you down, then you shall become more powerful than he can possibly imagine.

Return to “Discussion”