Arc III - The Few Who Dare

The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
kanila
Jedi Initiate

Re: Arc III - The Few Who Dare

Post by kanila » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:29 pm

Varc couldn’t let others be in harms way and lunged forward at the creature. Varc’s attack was reckless to say the least, but at least he was able to make contact.
Spoiler:
Varc; Lightsaber :
1 Success, 2 Advantages, 1 Despair,

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Crit:
Varc; Crit:
Numeric Roll: 1D100+0=98

Crippled: One of the target’s limbs (selected by the GM) is crippled until healed or replaced. Increase difficulty of all checks that require use of that limb by one.

DMG 6 - Soak

Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:02 am

Varc's blade bites into the creature's flesh, although it seems highly resistant to the damage, it's skin seemingly folded over onto itself dozens of times and hardened to almost rocklike quality. The damage seems to injure its neck and shoulder, limiting its range of movement. As it does though, Varc loses control of his lightsaber and it goes flying across the hall.
Spoiler:
creature is down 4hp (this is for my records, obviously none of you can tell :P )

1 maneuver to get the lightsaber, and it's away from the creature, not close to it.
The beast howls and attempts to disembowel Trixie. Its jaws glisten with sticky, gel-like saliva.
Spoiler:

besat; tot; attack 1:
0 Success, 3 Advantages

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

sorry:
1 Failure, 0 Advantage

It's going to give itself one boost on the next attack.
Trixie's efforts to suppress it seem to have momentarily stunned it, though, and it is unable to land a solid bite. Trixie is light enough on her feet that she is able to dance out of the way.

However, it goes in for a second bite, maneuvering away from Varc.
Spoiler:

It maneuvered around Trixie so it is engaged with her, and she's between it and Varc. the lightsaber is away from it as well.

besat; tot; attack 2:
4 Successes, 0 Advantage, 1 Despair,

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
sorry:
0 Success, 1 Threat

12 damage, pierce 4

It chomps down on Trixie, holding her in its jaws. She feels its cold, acrid breath rolling over her. She can also sense some other presence, then multiple presences, within the creature. She's never experienced this before.
Spoiler:
beast; tot; brawl to grapple:
3 Successes, 3 Advantages

sorry:
1 Failure, 0 Advantage

this was a brawl check vs Trixie's athletics or brawl (1purple since she doesn't have either and has a brawn of 1. No damage, but she is held in its mouth and cannot accurately swing her lightsaber (upgraded once and one setback if she makes a check with it). Her ability to continue using the Force is currently unhindered.

It's going to use the advantages to give a setback to the next person to act (so whoever goes top of the round)
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Sun May 02, 2021 12:56 am

'Things are not going well, and this is but one of these creatures?' Zyla thought. She takes a deep breath, grits her teeth, and moves in to attack range. Skipping her normal flash and flourishes, no need to show off to this thing, she attacks; 'Well guys, this is going to be tougher than I thought.'
Spoiler:
Zyla; Tales of the Old Republic; Lightsaber (w/ duelist):
0 Success, 1 Threat, 1 Despair,

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ooc: well crap
edit: accidentally had -2 for my ability die
Spoiler:
Zyla; Tales of the Old Republic; Lightsaber (forgot my ability dice):
1 Success, 2 Advantages

ImageImage

So new total is: 1 success, 1 advantage, 1 despair

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun May 02, 2021 1:11 am

Spoiler:
Partially using the Despair to trigger that Berserk talent Zyla has now, since I was gonna roll for it this turn but forcing it to trigger feels fun.

text again as a reminder:
"Once per encounter, your character may use this talent.
Until the end of the encounter or until they are incapacitated, your character adds 1 success and 2 advantages to all melee combat
checks they make. However, opponents add 1 success to all
combat checks targeting your character. While berserk,
your character cannot make ranged combat checks.
At the end of the encounter (or when they are incapacitated), your character suffers 6 strain"

This will apply at the beginning of the next round, if the creature is still up. Up to you to roleplay it, but basically think barbarian rage from DnD, Zyla's brain is misfiring a bit and is behaving more like one of these monster things.

For the rest of the Despair, I'll give the creature a boost on its next check.
the lightsaber cleaves into the creature's side. Its eyes flair, and there is a hint of fear in them. It seems to have realized there are at least two things here that can hurt it.
Spoiler:
creature has 9 damage and 1 strain
Give me about 5 minutes after a post, I'll probably edit it a bit before it is finalized.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun May 02, 2021 4:44 am

Taking advantage of Zyla's attack (1 Adv = 1 Boost), Trixie will try to imitate the damage Zyla and Varc have done. Maintaining 'Suppress' with an action seems to pale in comparison from being eaten alive! She must try to free herself!! She takes careful aim to get her lightsaber to hit just the right spot. It is difficult, but she tries her best. Her saber hits the intended spot on the beast!!!
Spoiler:
Upgrade for Destiny Point
1 Adv = Passed +1 Boost
Aim = +1 Boost
Aim (x2) = +1 Boost (+2 Strain)
+1 SB for Fear
+1 SB + Upgrade for being in-the-grasp
Base Difficulty Red-Purple-SB

'Curse of the Devil with these Despairs!!!!'

Trixie Ulan'jani; TotOR; Lightsaber Swing while Grabbed:
2 Successes, 3 Advantages, 1 Despair,

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Trixie Ulan'jani; TotOR; Critical Roll:
Numeric Roll: 1D100+10=38
38% = "Stinger" - "Increase difficulty of next check by one"

> 8 Damage (Breach 1) before Soak
> 2 Advs: Activate Critical (+10% from previous crit)
> 1 Adv: Pass Boost Die to Next PC

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon May 03, 2021 7:41 pm

The creature howls in pain, another blow carving into its flesh.

There is a hint of fear in its eyes, but it seems even more ready to focus on Zyla now, something about Zyla's last attack really agitating it.
Spoiler:
15damage, 1 strain

ShadoWarrior
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by ShadoWarrior » Mon May 10, 2021 10:10 pm

Arca continues to miss with his saber.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Thu May 13, 2021 2:49 am

Trixie's saber drops to the ground, the power cell seemingly fried.

Luckily for her, the creature seems focused on Zyla. It drops Trixie from its mouth and attempts to grab and bite Zyla.

It howls, chunky saliva and Twi'lek gunk flying out of its mouth. It's claws and teeth shred into Zyla's body.
Spoiler:
monster; TotOR; attack zyla:
4 Successes, 1 Threat
1 Success(es) added from talents or equipment
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I think I added the right number of setbacks... Oops, I didn't, it should have 1 more (1 for the duelist thing Zyla has, 2 for Trixie messing with it with the Force. Am I missing anything?). And I forgot the boost.

monster; TotOR; forgot a setback:
0 Success, 0 Advantage

monster; TotOR; forgot a boost:
0 Success, 1 Advantage

12 damage before soak, pierce 4.

Y'all are lucky it can't activate crits, lmao.

Zyla has parry, so she should be able to whack a bit of that damage off.

As it bites, it attempts to clamp down on Zyla's body.
Spoiler:
monster; TotOR; grab attempt:
4 Successes, 5 Advantages

Zyla's lightsaber checks against it are upgraded once, and have one setback.
It bites and holds, it's gross breath and twi'lek covered teeth digging into Zyla's shoulder.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Thu May 13, 2021 3:52 am

Varc moves as quickly as he can to retrieve the flung lightsaber so that he can return to the fight in front of them. Probably a good thing we were able to suffocate the one earlier. He thought to himself as he saw how poorly this fight was going.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Thu May 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Zyla realizes she has the creatures full attention and prepares for the worst. She doesn't want to end up as the creatures chew toy. She easily parries the worst of it's claws, but not it's bite. 'Chew toy it is then.' she thinks as pain ignites in her shoulder

OOC Thanks for the parry reminder, would be dead without it, taking 4 damage and 3 strain.I thought duelist training gave me a boost, didn't know it also gave the enemy a setback.

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Sun May 16, 2021 11:01 pm

The creature attempts to drag Zyla with it.
Spoiler:
monster; TotOR; drag attempt:
5 Successes, 1 Threat

It successfully manages to start dragging Zyla, but the attempt opens a momentary weakness in its defense.
Spoiler:
Whoever is going at the top of the round, except for Zyla, gets to upgrade their attack against the creature.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Tue May 18, 2021 3:42 am

Trixie is determined not to let this creature survive. 'Just IMAGINE what the rest of its kind did to that Response Team!!!'

She strikes with intense focus!!
Spoiler:
Maneuver: to get up
Maneuver: Aim (+1 Boost) (+2 Strain)
Action: Attack with Lightsaber using a Destiny Point
Upgrade from GM

Trixie Ulan'jani; TotOR; Lightsaber Strike w/DP:
2 Successes, 3 Advantages

8 Damage (Breach 1)
2 Adv: Activate Critical
1 Adv: Pass Boost to Next PC

CRITICAL ROLL
(Two criticals already on it by my count.)
Trixie Ulan'jani; TotOR; Critical Roll + 20:
Numeric Roll: 1D100+20=54
51-55 Fearsome Wound: "Increase difficulty of all Presence and Willpower checks by 1 until end of encounter."

DANG!! Both and 34% and 44% would've been better!!

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Tue May 18, 2021 4:52 am

The creature lets out a howl of pain, buffeting Zyla with bits of bile.
Spoiler:
21 damage, 1 strain
Its gashed, mutilated body seems on the verge of giving out, although there still seems to be some fight left in it.

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Tue May 18, 2021 3:05 pm

A rational Zyla would calculate that right now the best course of action would bee to free herself from the creatures maw. Right now she is not cool and calm though, and only wants this thing dead. Using her good arm, she takes aim and tries to strike at the creature as best she can from her precarious position.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Mon May 24, 2021 1:48 am

Finally being able to rejoin the fight, Varc jumps into the fray hoping to end the fight here.
Spoiler:
Varc; Lightsaber :
1 Success, 0 Advantage, 1 Triumph,

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Maybe I am able to find a weakness that can be exploited later?

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon May 24, 2021 1:59 am

Varc's attack carves downwards, and the beast drops to the ground. Varc thinks he has found a place where the alchemical armor has not quite replaced the original flesh of whatever this creature was, and he hopes that will be useful in the future.
Spoiler:
Extra boost when aiming and attacking these guys in the future sound good?

Doctor Who
Jedi Initiate

Post by Doctor Who » Mon May 24, 2021 2:02 am

Its body hits the floor with a sickening thud, the life obviously gone from its abominable frame.

You all have a chance to catch your breath, although Zyla's brain is still firing in full fight or flight mode and she seems unable to bring herself out of combat mentality, at least for several more seconds.

Zyla and Trixie are majorly injured, their bodies covered in blood and viscera that Arca thinks should be dealt with as soon as he can.
Spoiler:
Zyla's still "raging" for a short while longer, RP that how you will

crazybirdman
Flyboy

Post by crazybirdman » Mon May 24, 2021 4:01 am

As Zyla rolls out of the creatures mouth, she immediately gets into an attack position (Does she realize this thing is dead?) and ignoring her saber, starts kicking the creature with all her might.

Return to “The Story”