Episode I: Racing Debut

The game's in-character (IC) narrative.
kanila
Jedi Initiate

Episode I: Racing Debut

Post by kanila » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Waking on a foreign ship, atleast for some, the new crew of The Exiles' Redemption woke to the sound of the ship's alert notifying the crew that they have excited hyperspace. Upon entering the cockpit a small icon softly blinked. Pressing a few buttons pulled up a message stating that their registration was successful with the Galactic Racing Circuit. Also included in the message was the race location, Issagra Space Station. A quick look at the galactic calender showed that the race would be starting the very next day! What exactly did they get themselves into?!

A short distance from where they excited hyperspace say the Issagra Space Station. A sparkling jewel set amongst the stars, Issagra Space Station was a small beacon of light in the Outer Rim territory. With all the glamour and bluster it still remained firmly in the hands of the criminal underbelly of the Galaxy. Able to accommodate roughly 10,000 people at any given time, the station was always buzzing with activity, some legal while most fell into the illegal category. Everything was available here, from cantinas to gambling, if someone had a vice it was found on Issagra Station. And for the crew of The Exiles' Redemption this could be the place that started a grand adventure.... or smashed their dreams before they even began.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Re: Episode I: Racing Debut

Post by ThreeBFour » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Chattering away in Jawanese, Runt is busy opening and closing every possible access hatch in the ship, exploring everything and making slightly less noise than your average Imperial walker on a trampoline.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Buimo forces his eyes to focus on the controls of the fancy new ship. "My head!" he says, rubbing his temples. "What the hell happened? Last I remember, we were doing shots at the crew canteen on the Glitterstar and talking about saving that Jawa from the brig..."

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:35 pm

Vo blinks bloodshot eyes as he presses a few buttons on the console to make it stop the blinking that at the moment felt like a thousand tiny suns shining in his face off and on, off and on. He was groggy, and hungover, his movement slow as he turned to Buimo, trying to register what he was saying before his attention focused on the very active figure behind him, ”Oh kriff.”
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

Kal Drahr
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

Post by Kal Drahr » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:13 am

Sol just sat at the table looking through a deck of Sabaac cards, he, at least, had been fully aware of his actions. Vo and Buisimo, however, had taken a bit of coaxing, but with enough alcohol and planting ideas they had decided to rescue the Jawa from the brig. Sol had went right along with it, and was now the proud co-owner of a racing ship. "Friends, Aliens, Shipmates, we are now owners of a fine racing ship with all of us pitching in, we will become the greatest racing team in the galaxy!"

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:14 am

Buimo turns toward Sol. "What are you say—" The Iakaru takes out his credit chit and looks at it. "Why is it I only have 76 credits to my name, Sol? And how in the Rings of Fornax did we end up with a racing ship!"

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:02 am

Vo squinted at Sol in a slow manner, a few memories from the night before starting to surface as he started to reach into his inside breast pocket looking for the familiar slip that was usually there, ”How do you mean owners of a racing ship Sol, how did we afford this?”

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:31 pm

"Much nicer than crawler. Jabba's friend much good to give to us." Runt pauses in his exploration long enough to say.

Kal Drahr

Post by Kal Drahr » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:01 pm

"Well, I would like to add, before I continue, that you both agreed to this. We were out drinking, and you two came up with the idea of freeing the Jawa from the brig. So we did that, and then we just borrowed a couple hundred thousand credits from a loan shark and with Runt here as our mechanic, decided that we could be a great racing team. I know there's a race at this very station later today in fact."

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:27 pm

"Racing! I don't know nothing 'bout racing!" Buimo begins typing away at one of the ship's computers. "But what I'm worried about is this money. If what you're saying's right, Sol, there's gotta be a bill of sale in the ship's computers somewhere..."

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Vo was starting to sober up in a big way as soon as the words loan shark were mentioned. He began to search more frantically for the slip that he was not finding, and he was
Starting to get agitated.

“Sol stop dancing around the point thinking you can fool us by being indirect, how did we buy this ship, where did we meet this loan shark and why did they give us the money!u!!” He was almost yelling at this point, if he was a man that yelled, so instead it came out as a stern frustrated grumble.

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:02 pm

"Ooooo, Racing!!! Me seen the pod racing in the canyons. Sandpeople shoot at them. Sandpeople shoot at us? Me hope not, they scare Jawas. We need pod if we pod race." Runt chatters quickly before spotting something else that grabs his attention.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:09 pm

SavageBob wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:27 pm
"Racing! I don't know nothing 'bout racing!" Buimo begins typing away at one of the ship's computers. "But what I'm worried about is this money. If what you're saying's right, Sol, there's gotta be a bill of sale in the ship's computers somewhere..."
His search didn't take long as the system was recently cleared of non-essential data before the sale. True to what they had just heard all of them appeared on the bill of sale. As for the loan only a single name appeared, Masu. Other than that no other information was located on the bill of sale besides the hefty 120k credit balance.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:58 pm

Buimo's pink-purple skin drains of color at the news. "Space me…" He turns to the others, red eyes wide and corners of his bushy white brows turned down. "Boys… Looks like we're on the hook for 120,000 creds to some 'Masu' fella. We all signed the bill of sale. Every spacing one of us."

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:38 am

Runt runs back up to the group with a small datapad-like device. "Masu nice guy. Say we only own him 30,000 each and he give my this special manual for the ship. He say it help with repairs and it only 100 credits. Me get special discount he say."

Runt suddenly stops his chatter, looking at the group. "My new friends no seem happy like before. Yesterday friends let Runt out of brig and we go see Masu. Friends laughing and singing. Now not."

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:54 am

Vo turned yellow as the color drained from his face and he stopped looking for the slip knowing It wasn’t there and that Masu had probably taken it as collateral for that preposterously large loan, but that wasn’t the worst of it. None of these guys knew what they had all gotten themselves into, the same Pit that Vo had been in for years, and it didn’t matter what Sol thinks they should be doing if Masu decided they would be doing it then they didn’t have much of a choice.

Vo was practically dissociating from the realization when he heard the jawas words and something pulled him out, “you can’t tell genders very well can you?”

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:51 pm

"Jawas don't know genders of other very well, no. For a Jawas tell difference between each other by smell. If it smell like male then it a he. If it smell like a female then it a she. Runt explained to Vo in a serious tone, like a school teacher would.

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:40 pm

"He, she, it, they... Doesn't matter much when we're in the hole 120,000 credits!" Buimo slumps down to the floor, back resting on a bulkhead. "Racing. Anyone here know anything about racing?"

Kal Drahr

Post by Kal Drahr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:03 pm

Sol raises his hand, "My Dad's a manager on the galactic circut, he's got friends across the galaxy. I was raised watching races back home on Corellia."

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Vo was beyond frustration, beyond fear at this point. 120,000 credits owed to the worst person in the galaxy to owe money to, at least that people like them could get access to, his slip held as collateral, and a hangover the size of an exogorph, he pinched the bridge of his nose and just sighed, “of course your father a race manager.”

Walking towards the liquor cabinet and making a point to push past Sol on the way, vo opens it up and takes out a corellian ale, frowning momentarily at the lack of variety before looking back at the crew and popping off the bottle cap with his teeth.

So, were a racing team, Buimo is a crack navigator, Runt has been doing most of the mechanics work on the cruise liner since he stowed away, I’m sure in my drunken stupor I was more than willing to offer up that I was a pilot, that only leaves you Sol, what do you intend to bring to our ‘team’?”

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Buimo scans the race announcement on the ship's computer, but he keeps an ear out for Sol's response. Vo wasn't usually an angry drunk, but he could be an angry sober.
Spoiler:
Looking for the specifics of the race registration: How many entrants (and if they're listed), how much the prize money is, anything else pertinent we can glean from up here.

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:58 am

"Me good mechanic. Me fix ship good. Friends pilot good too. Friends smell like mixture of Lomin Ale, Corellian Ale, Corellian Whiskey combined. Friend Vo also smell of Gamorian Larger. Vo must also be friends with Jabba's guards to get some. Friends smell like clogged sink in Glitterstar's bar which me fixed once." Runt says in his usual cheerful voice. "Me hungry, time to make food."

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 am

Scanning through the registration for the race doesn't show any information about the other racers or even a total number of entrants. The prizes are list: 1st place 10k credits 2nd place 5k credits.

If he had to venture a guess this looked like a smaller race, maybe even a qualifier for bigger races. With only two prizes listed it seemed like a good possibility that there were less racers.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:38 pm

Vo took Sol’s silence as confirmation of his suspicions and sighed and began holding the cold bottle of ale against his forehead to try to ease his headache. He began heading towards the cockpit, giving him a wide berth as he did, thinking that he might ‘accidentaly’ cause him harm if he got to close, and along the way he said, “look sol, just save whatever explanation your trying to muster, I don’t want to hear you talk for a few days.”

When he reached the cockpit Vo began to check the instruments and flight controls, being sure to familiarize himself with them. “Well no matter how we got into this situation, if Masu expects us to race then we have to race, nothing we can really do about it, And Runt as soon as we pull into the station we can get you some food, unless you’re willing to brave whatever you find in the fridge.”

Currently on Dubai time

SavageBob
Jedi Initiate

Post by SavageBob » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:21 pm

"Looks like a smaller race. Ten-thousand for first, five for second. Maybe a qualifier or something." Buimo tries to focus on familiarizing himself with the ship's controls. "Guess we'd better get ready. Stars know we don't have any other income coming in."

Return to “The Story”