Starship Maneuvers

Rule changes and additions for this game.
kanila
Jedi Initiate

Starship Maneuvers

Post by kanila » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Overtake: Opposed roll inorder to pass another racer. The Player/NPC taking this Action can be effected by Evasive Manuevers, Stay on Target and Gain the Advantage.

Evasive Maneuvers: In addition to the normal rules of this maneuver it upgrades the difficulty of the dice pool for all Overtake actions until the end of the pilot's next turn. This applies to actions against and by the pilot/ship that executed the maneuver.

Stay on Target: In addition to the normal rules of this manuever it upgrades the ability of the dice pool for all Overtake actions until the end of the pilot's next turn. This applies to actions against and by the pilot/ship that executed the maneuver.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Re: Starship Maneuvers

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Kanila I'm really enjoying these, so if I'm reading this right gain the advantage action is being used to prevent someone from performing an overtake and the two maneuvers are also altering the difficulty of the overtake?

I really like how simple that is, i'm either trying to overtake or prevent it from happening, but sometimes I'll have to judge my situation considering whether or not i'll want to overtake the ship in front of me or make sure that the ship behind me doesn't overtake me, or can i use a combination of actions and maneuvers to do both.

I really love this, it already feels a lot more like getting in the mindset of a racer.
Active: Thino Krist Vo Cari Thew'Ruk Turugh’aie’azanon
Inactive: Goran Hownar Edessa

Currently on Dubai time

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:32 pm

Gain the Advantage would not prevent an overtake it would just wipe the slate clean if the manuevers were used.

And yes you could use one of those manuevers with an action.

For example you could use Stay on Target before using Overtake.

Or

Overtake and then Evasive Maneuvers to try to hold the lead.

But because Overtake and Gain the Advantage are both Actions they cannot be combined.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Ok ok, that’s cool, so we aren’t using gain the advantage like we were in the first race, I like that. So if I succeed on the gain the advantage it nullifies my opponents evasive maneuvers or stay on target? That’s good to know.

So if I’m reading this correctly evasive maneuvers is what I use to prevent others from overtaking and stay on target is what I use to overtake and when someone tries to overtake me or I try to overtake them it is am opposed role each time.

Currently on Dubai time

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Yes. So the co-piloting check can still add boosts for you or setbacks against your opponent.

The way I see it, if it's an opposed roll it will make the race feel more intense.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:46 pm

I agree, I think this is going to be a lot of fun

Currently on Dubai time

ThreeBFour
Jedi Initiate

Post by ThreeBFour » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:06 pm

Makes sense to me, although I will not be primarily doing any of these in the near future of the game, I will be referring back to these.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:53 pm

Observing (admiring) from afar... A few questions...

Overtake is (basically) the Attack Action?

What's the difference between Overtake and Gain the Advantage? Both are Actions. GtAdv lets you choose the "relative positioning of the two". Why would you need Overtake? Maybe GtAdv is determine left, right, or rear positioning?

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:22 am

DeepSpacer wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:53 pm
Observing (admiring) from afar... A few questions...

Overtake is (basically) the Attack Action?

What's the difference between Overtake and Gain the Advantage? Both are Actions. GtAdv lets you choose the "relative positioning of the two". Why would you need Overtake? Maybe GtAdv is determine left, right, or rear positioning?
GtAdv just wipes out boost and setbacks. Atleast going by the book. I used it as a blanket fool all move for this first race but it just felt bland. There was no real feeling of racing against someone else. From my point of view it just looked like people competing in a time trial and not a race.

Overtake is different as it does not cancel any boosts or setbacks. It is also an opposed roll, this should make the race feel more personal while highlighting good team work to give you the best dice pool possible.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:53 am

Essentially the way I’m seeing it, if I’m in the lead or don’t want to try to pull ahead of my opponent I don’t have anything I can do since I don’t want to take the overtake action,

In this case I can use gain the advantage to wipe the site clean as far as my opponents maneuvers and make it easier for me to maintain my own position when they pull me into a contested roll with overtake.

Basically overtake is the offensive flying action in this case and gain the advantage becomes the defensive one.

Currently on Dubai time

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 am

Essentially yes.

Boutrose Saba-Norr
Flyboy

Post by Boutrose Saba-Norr » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:19 pm

I feel like I really enjoy having them as two separate actions because before when I was running the race there was never any risk based on action, I was always going to do gain the advantage which would both help me overtake and prevent people from passing me.

In this case, I now have to make calculated decisions on what would be the best possible turn of events, that could go one way or the other. In the case of this race where we started out somewhere in the middle, things might have gone very differently had I not been able to make simply one move to do both things.

Currently on Dubai time

Return to “House Rules”