CT-8181 "Coins"

Crow
Scruffy-looking Nerf-herder

CT-8181 "Coins"

Post by Crow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Spoiler:
I’m going to begin by describing how I built this character, step by step, in a series of prose paragraphs (as opposed to starting with putting up all the characteristics, skills, talents, etc with their associated numeric values). My thinking is that this way, savvier heads than mine can spot where I went wrong, if I did, more easily.

First, I started with 110 experience points and two “free” Talent Trees, Soldier—Vanguard and Universal—Recruit. @swrider indicated that the character also received the Basic Combat Training talent (row 1, column 1 of the Recruit Tree) automatically. That talent grants Brawl and Ranged (Light) as Career skills, but Coins already has those two as Career skills from his Soldier Career. My understanding of what swrider wrote was that if such was the case, we could add any one other skill as a Career skill. I chose Perception.

Second, I spent my 110 experience points as I would at character creation. Note that I did not add any from Duty, as I’m not yet sure how Duty works in this particular game. Here’s how I spent those points. 70 to take Agility from 2 to 4. 30 to take Willpower from 2 to 3. 5 to purchase the Toughened talent from row 1, column 3 of the Vanguard Talent Tree. 5 to purchase one rank in Perception.

For my “free” skills I chose ranks of these four from the Soldier Career: Athletics, Survival, Melee, and Ranged (Heavy). I chose ranks of these two from the Vanguard Specialty: Athletics and Vigilance.

Next, I took the 40 experience points swrider said we would add at the beginning of play (I believe that’s half what the players who have been in the game from the start have earned). Here’s how I used those.

I purchased these three talents from the Vanguard Tree: Conditioned (row 1, column 2), Moving Target (row 2, column 2), and a second rank of Toughened (row 2, column 1). Then I purchased the Second Wind talent from the Recruit Tree (row 1, column 2). That left 10 to spend, which I used on a second rank of the Ranged (Heavy) skill.

After that, I figured up my derived characteristics and then took what was probably too free a hand gearing Coins up (see below).

Now here’s the numbers!

Edited 7th October 2018--I've updated the mechanics to reflect some minor changes in equipment (see discussion in thread) and to add 10 XP earned with a 10 point Duty reduction. I spent the 10 XP on a second rank of the Vigilance skill.
Name: CT-8181 “Coins”
Career: Soldier
Specializations: Vanguard, Recruit

Total XP: 160
Available XP: 0

Species: Human (Clone)
Silhouette: 1

Duty Value: Starting Value -10
Duty Type: Personnel

Motivation: Connection—Friends

Brawn: 2
Agility: 4
Intellect: 2
Cunning: 2
Willpower: 3
Presence: 2

Soak Value: 4
Defense:
(ranged) 0
(melee) 0
Wound Threshold: 16
Strain Threshold: 13
Encumbrance Threshold: 14
(current) 14

Trained Skills
Athletics: 2; Perception 1; Survival 1; Vigilance 2; Melee 1; Ranged (Heavy) 2

Talents
Toughened 2; Conditioned 1; Moving Target 1; Second Wind 1

Weapons
DH-X Heavy Blaster Rifle with Weapon Sling attachment
Combat Knife

Armor
Laminate Armor with Integrated Ascension Gear attachment

Gear
Military Pack
Military Belt Pouch
Utility Belt
Stimpacks (2)
Breath Mask and Respirator
Extra Reload (1)
Comlink (helmet-integrated)

Coins takes his name from the (quite small) collection of hard currency he carries around, a dozen or so examples of local coinage from various planets he’s visited since shipping out from Kamino. Just as many soldiers obsessively clean and organize their gear, Coins obsessively cleans and organizes his collection of monetarily worthless metallic discs, squares, and triangles. He has a story for every coin, and is always on the lookout for more, a difficult task in a galaxy increasingly given over to standardization of credits.
As a soldier, Coins is your typical exemplary clone trooper. He follows orders, but is perhaps a bit on the cautious side. He likes to take down targets fast and hard when they’re as far as him and his friends as possible.
Last edited by Crow on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Re: CT-8181 "Coins"

Post by swrider » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:16 pm

Yeah you are going to need to scale back your attachments. I'll allow the rifle but only one attachment of your choice on the rifle or armor. You can also have a sling. Between each mission you can requisition gear including attachments. You can build this over time just not to start with. It is too far away from standard gear.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:34 pm

swrider wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:16 pm
Yeah you are going to need to scale back your attachments. I'll allow the rifle but only one attachment of your choice on the rifle or armor. You can also have a sling. Between each mission you can requisition gear including attachments. You can build this over time just not to start with. It is too far away from standard gear.
Understood, and perfectly reasonable. One question, by "sling," do you mean the Weapon Harness attachment? And thus that plus one other attachment to either weapon or armor is what you're allowing? Or, as is also reasonable, that attachment alone?

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:45 pm

The standard sling. The one that lowers encumbrance, pluss one other attachment. Slings are dirt cheep and should be standard issue or at least should be readily available.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:08 am

swrider wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:45 pm
The standard sling. The one that lowers encumbrance, pluss one other attachment. Slings are dirt cheep and should be standard issue or at least should be readily available.
Got it. I've edited the post to reflect your required changes. I took the sling on the rifle and as my one extra attachment kept the ascension gear on the armor.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:53 am

For clarification, here are the details on Coins’ loadout.

Laminate Armor with Integrated Ascension Gear Attachments
Encum: 4 HP: 3 (1 available)
Defense: 0 Soak: 2
Source: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, pp. 183 & 185

Integrated Ascension Gear
Hard Points Required: 2 Encum: –
Source: Special Modifications, p. 57

BlasTech DH-X Heavy Blaster Rifle
Encum: 7 HP: 4 (2 available)
[Ranged (Heavy); Damage 10; Critical 3; Range (Long); Cumbersome 2, Pierce 2, Weapon Sling)
Source: Dangerous Covenants, pp. 42-43

Weapon Sling Weapon Attachment
Hard Points Required: 1 Encum: –
Source: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, pp. 201 & 205

Utility Belt
Encum: –
Source: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, pp. 187 & 198

Military Belt Pouch
Source: Dangerous Covenants, p. 59

Combat Knife
Encum: 1 HP: 0
[Melee; Damage +1; Critical 3; Range (Engaged)]
Source: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, pp. 180-181

Comlink (helmet-integrated)
Source: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, pp. 186-187

Stimpacks (2)—stored in Belt Pouch
Source: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, pp. 187 & 193

Breath Mask and Respirator
Encum: 1
Source: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, p. 187 & 195

Army Military Pack
Source: Dangerous Covenants, p. 59
Last edited by Crow on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:05 am

The handheld comlink isn't necessary as the helmet has a built-in one.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:40 am

You can get +10 xp by spending starting duty. I recommend it.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Okay, my orders, as I understand them, are to change Coins' equipment list so that his comlink is helmet-integrated instead of handheld and to take a -10 reduction to Duty to gain +10 Experience Points.

@swrider, what Starting Duty Value should I record (before the reduction)?

Right now I'm leaning toward spending those 10 XP on either a second rank of the Second Wind talent from the Recruit Tree or a second rank of the Vigilance skill. But wow, are there a lot of options. Hmmm...

I'll figure that out and update the character sheet in the first post today.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:14 pm

And done. I spent the XP on a second rank of Vigilance.

Two questions. How do I hide or "spoiler" text (I want to hide the big wall o' text that starts the first post)? And, would it be okay if I used this thread to test the dice rolling functionality of the site? I want to figure out how to do that well before Coins (and the other new characters!) get integrated into the game(s).

Edit: Okay, I figured out how to "spoiler" text (though I wonder if there's a way to LABEL the spoiler, so that what's contained within is briefly tagged or described?).
Last edited by Crow on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeepSpacer
Jedi Initiate

Post by DeepSpacer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:18 pm

Yep! Feel free to post dice rolls here. Once characters are finalized, this thread will go unused.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:20 pm

DeepSpacer wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:18 pm
Yep! Feel free to post dice rolls here. Once characters are finalized, this thread will go unused.
Thanks, DeepSpacer!

kanila
Jedi Initiate

Post by kanila » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Easiest way would be describe it before the spoiler box.
Achex Rococa, Torax Ubac, Rade Trah, CT-9564 "Doc", Varc Jesk - Jedi, Meddaar Vampor - Monk

swrider
ISB Deputy Director

Post by swrider » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:02 pm

that is find the character is approved. Please copy and past your initial post into the character database forum. Also you may begin play in the new Rookies IC thread. I recommend bookmarking the topic as it will provide a notification when a new post is made. No point is Subscribing, I have emails disabled board wide.

Return to “Character Development”